Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • first_name_would _be_good
    • By first_name_would _be_good 19th Apr 17, 8:45 AM
    • 18Posts
    • 4Thanks
    first_name_would _be_good
    How does Rightmove work?
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:45 AM
    How does Rightmove work? 19th Apr 17 at 8:45 AM
    Hi

The person who had an accepted offer on my house has messed me around. I don't think the person was ever serious and has wasted a lot of time.

My listing on Rightmove will have gone stale now as where I am there is a flood of similar houses on the market so how do I get my house to be fresh so people are emailed this property, do I have to lower the price and if so what is the lowest you can do so to be a fresher listing?

Thanks
Page 1
    • anselld
    • By anselld 19th Apr 17, 8:47 AM
    • 5,223 Posts
    • 4,759 Thanks
    anselld
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:47 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:47 AM
    Ask your Agent to sort it. You are not able to interact with Rightmove directly.
    • Victor the Gink
    • By Victor the Gink 19th Apr 17, 8:48 AM
    • 153 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    Victor the Gink
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:48 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:48 AM
    Speak to your Estate Agent - only they know what fees RM charge.
    • By first_name_would _be_good 19th Apr 17, 8:57 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:57 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:57 AM
    I don't want to interact with Rightmove. I wish to know what is the process of getting a fresher listing on Rightmove as that is where the majority of people go to find new property.

Do I have to lower the price?
    Can the estate agent remove the listing and then put it back on again in a few days?
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 19th Apr 17, 9:06 AM
    • 1,711 Posts
    • 2,467 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:06 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:06 AM
    For the third time - speak to your estate agent. They, and they alone, deal with Rightmove, and will know what to do to make your listing appear "fresher" than it actually is.
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 19th Apr 17, 9:12 AM
    • 994 Posts
    • 1,173 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:12 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:12 AM
    Can the estate agent remove the listing and then put it back on again in a few days?
    Originally posted by first_name_would _be_good
    They can, but in order for your property to come out in Rightmove's property alert emails it has to be off Rightmove for 14 weeks.
    • Heather2603
    • By Heather2603 19th Apr 17, 9:48 AM
    • 70 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    Heather2603
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:48 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:48 AM
    You might be able to get it on as a 'premium listing' that way it's bolded and normally appears at the top of the search.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 19th Apr 17, 10:08 AM
    • 9,180 Posts
    • 11,542 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:08 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:08 AM
    You could always give notice (if your tie-in period has ended) and change agents.

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies)
    • By first_name_would _be_good 19th Apr 17, 10:30 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:30 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:30 AM
    I can leave my current estate agent as there is no tie-in period.

If I did change estate agents and a previous person who has viewed the property buys it who do I pay the fee to, the current estate agent, the new estate agent or both?
    • LoopyLoops
    • By LoopyLoops 19th Apr 17, 11:12 AM
    • 94 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    LoopyLoops
    When our first buyer found they couldn't get the mortgage to buy our house and it had been on Rightmove as 'sold stc' for 2 weeks I spoke to my EA and he told me that it has to be 'sold stc' for 14 weeks before you could get it moved back to the top of RM, or do a price reduction.

EDIT: Although I then waited a week and asked our EA for the stats from RM and could tell from that that people were still looking at our house, so felt confident that it wasn't being 'missed'
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 19th Apr 17, 11:19 AM
    • 994 Posts
    • 1,173 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    I can leave my current estate agent as there is no tie-in period.

If I did change estate agents and a previous person who has viewed the property buys it who do I pay the fee to, the current estate agent, the new estate agent or both?
    The estate agent who first introduced the buyer to you gets paid the fee.

However, if there is a period of longer than 6 months between the first viewing and the second viewing it is more likely the second agent is due the fee.
    • Pepperoni
    • By Pepperoni 19th Apr 17, 12:54 PM
    • 448 Posts
    • 1,262 Thanks
    Pepperoni
    House would show up as 'added in last 24 hours' if you make 2% price reduction or more.

Other option would be to try and get it as one of the advert properties.

Will only come back on in the 'added in last 24 hours' if it's been marked as SOLD for 14 days + and then marked as unsold again.

• By first_name_would _be_good 19th Apr 17, 2:05 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    The estate agent who first introduced the buyer to you gets paid the fee.

However, if there is a period of longer than 6 months between the first viewing and the second viewing it is more likely the second agent is due the fee.
    Originally posted by Surrey_EA
    So, if I change estate agents and someone who has previously been introduced to my property by the first estate and then buys the property the first agent agents gets paid and the second estate agent gets nothing?

How would the first estate agent know who has bought the property and if it is several months later wont the second estate have been paid by then?
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 19th Apr 17, 2:56 PM
    • 994 Posts
    • 1,173 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    So, if I change estate agents and someone who has previously been introduced to my property by the first estate and then buys the property the first agent agents gets paid and the second estate agent gets nothing?
    Correct.
    How would the first estate agent know who has bought the property and if it is several months later wont the second estate have been paid by then?
    Sometimes they won't notice. However, if I were the first agent, I would be sending a list of people that I'd shown around to both you and the second agent.

Maybe the first agent will check Land Registry to check who the new owner is, maybe they won't.
    • By first_name_would _be_good 19th Apr 17, 3:14 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    But what happens if you have paid the second agent and then months down the line the first agent wants paying? This is hypothetical as I am emailed all the viewings which have taken place by the first estate agent but just wondering if a person wanted to do a second viewing from the first agents list, wouldn't the second agent be annoyed to not be paid for their work once the sale has completed?
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 19th Apr 17, 3:50 PM
    • 994 Posts
    • 1,173 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    But what happens if you have paid the second agent and then months down the line the first agent wants paying?
    That's why you have the list of prospective buyers that the first agent has brought round, and you check against this list before accepting an offer through the second agent.
    This is hypothetical as I am emailed all the viewings which have taken place by the first estate agent but just wondering if a person wanted to do a second viewing from the first agents list, wouldn't the second agent be annoyed to not be paid for their work once the sale has completed?
    The second EA should also be checking whether an interested part has previously viewed through the first agent. If they do not, and put in effort for which they do not get financially rewarded then that's their own fault.
    • SuzieSue
    • By SuzieSue 19th Apr 17, 4:34 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 3,886 Thanks
    SuzieSue
    Will only come back on in the 'added in last 24 hours' if it's been marked as SOLD for 14 days + and then marked as unsold again.
    Originally posted by Pepperoni
    Is it 14 days or 14 weeks? Some people have said 14 weeks earlier.
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 19th Apr 17, 4:59 PM
    • 994 Posts
    • 1,173 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    Is it 14 days or 14 weeks? Some people have said 14 weeks earlier.
    Originally posted by SuzieSue
    It is definitely 14 weeks if you take a property completely off Rightmove then relist it. I can't remember how long the period is when a property changes status from sstc/under offer back to for sale.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

477Posts Today

4,687Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin