Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Simba-ali34
    • By Simba-ali34 19th Apr 17, 8:39 AM
    • 125Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Simba-ali34
    Mortgage deed and exchange
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:39 AM
    Mortgage deed and exchange 19th Apr 17 at 8:39 AM
    Hello.

So I have left a message with my solicitor who is away today but I am abit confused.

I have received a mortgage offer for a property which is good news! My solicitor has also sent the mortgage deed for signing. I have to sign this and post it back but a witness must sign it. Can it be the same witness for me and my partner? can they just sign it twice next to our names?

Also I am abit confused with which order things should happen. Once I post the deed back is that acceptance of the mortgage or will I need to sign something else? Also when does exchange of contracts happen?

Regards
Page 1
    • Lilla D
    • By Lilla D 19th Apr 17, 9:58 AM
    • 257 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    Lilla D
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:58 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:58 AM
    Hi, yes, once you sign the mortgage deed and send it back, that's your acceptance of the mortgage offer.
    The exchange of contracts comes after not only the mortgage side is sorted, but also all the legal aspects including searches, enquiries and any related paperwork. I think you can use the same witness, but you may want to double check it.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 19th Apr 17, 11:35 AM
    • 31,699 Posts
    • 16,938 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:35 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:35 AM
    Once the documentation is all back and acceptable, your solicitor will ask you for your preferred completion dates. The other solicitors in the chain will do the same and once everyone is agreed on a date, contracts can be exchanged and the agreed completion date becomes legally binding on all parties.

The same witness is fine.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

328Posts Today

3,225Users online

Martin's Twitter