Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Wig
    • By Wig 19th Apr 17, 8:31 AM
    • 13,521Posts
    • 7,324Thanks
    Wig
    SD input on UHD TV
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:31 AM
    SD input on UHD TV 19th Apr 17 at 8:31 AM
    What does the image look like on a UHD TV with a SD input i.e. DVD or non HD broadcast TV? Does it look bad - unwatchable? If I asked Currys to play a DVD on their 65inch Samsung UHD ++ (the one with nanocrystals I forget what they call it) will they play a DVD on it for me?
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 19th Apr 17, 8:43 AM
    • 13,186 Posts
    • 13,499 Thanks
    zx81
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:43 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:43 AM
    Not unwatchable, but you'll notice the difference.

The more HD/UHD sources you watch, the more SD will annoy you.

Currys should be able to demonstrate different inputs, but that's assuming any of their staff know how to work a DVD player.

Or a TV.
    • stator
    • By stator 19th Apr 17, 9:16 AM
    • 5,808 Posts
    • 3,812 Thanks
    stator
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:16 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:16 AM
    It'll be fine. On an expensive TV like that they'll have a decent upscaler.
    Don't know if they'll demo it for you, give them a ring and find out.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • danthemoneysavingman
    • By danthemoneysavingman 19th Apr 17, 9:45 AM
    • 1,214 Posts
    • 513 Thanks
    danthemoneysavingman
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:45 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:45 AM
    Suggest you read reviews of the set you're interested in, they usually cover how well they play back non-HD content.

But yep best bet is to take you favourite film/whatever down to currys / Richer Sounds and say you need to see how this looks played through the set. DO note the playback device they use may well be more sophisticated than one that you own so you may need to take your playback device along too, unless you intend to upgrade that as well (recommended btw!)

hth
    Let me Google that for you...
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 19th Apr 17, 8:46 PM
    • 1,161 Posts
    • 801 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:46 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:46 PM
    It'll look like absolute crap, especially on a 65" TV. Whilst it won't be as blurry as it is on a 1080p TV it'll just look terrible and lacking in any detail.
    • SouthUKMan
    • By SouthUKMan 19th Apr 17, 11:32 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    SouthUKMan
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:32 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:32 PM
    The problem with watching standard definition sources on such large screens (like 65") is that you are pushing the SD format way beyond what it was ever designed to do. While a good SD source such as a well encoded DVD can perhaps be tolerated on a 4K set thanks to upscaling (although what is considered tolerable is of course subjective) - a poor SD source such as some of the SD Sky channels can look terrible on such large screens. Look at it this way - SD video contains 576 vertical lines of information, basic HD contains 720 lines, full HD contains 1080 lines and UHD contains 2160 lines. Think of it as like trying to enlarge a postage stamp to the size of an envelope. You're going to expose the lack of detail that you probably wouldn't notice when viewing the source at its original size. Remember, before large screen HD TVs came along,screen sizes around 30" max were common.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,476Posts Today

6,397Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin