Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Si Clist
    • By Si Clist 19th Apr 17, 8:28 AM
    • 346Posts
    • 2,610Thanks
    Si Clist
    How to recover files?
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:28 AM
    How to recover files? 19th Apr 17 at 8:28 AM
    I have a dead Win10 PC from which I'd very much like to recover some document files. I have a HD docking station, so is it just a case of removing the HD, sticking it in the dock thingy and copying files to my Win 10 laptop? Or is there, as I suspect there will be, far more to it than that?
    A positive attitude might not solve all your problems, but it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile
Page 1
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 19th Apr 17, 8:51 AM
    • 3,023 Posts
    • 1,344 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:51 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:51 AM
    "I have a HD docking station"
    Originally posted by Si Clist
    What are you waiting for? Earth yourself on the computer case (mains socket OFF and hold power button down for 20secs); take off panel; take out disk drive (carefully); insert in dock (which I assume you've used before?).
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature because somebody complained that the information contained within it was too helpful.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 19th Apr 17, 8:56 AM
    • 2,444 Posts
    • 2,463 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:56 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:56 AM
    If for some weird or unknown reason the HDD was encrypted then using the dock would likely not work. Otherwise just get on and do it, and you'll have recovered your files in no time at all.

(And I'm sure you've now learned that regular data backups are a must).
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Si Clist
    • By Si Clist 19th Apr 17, 9:34 AM
    • 346 Posts
    • 2,610 Thanks
    Si Clist
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:34 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:34 AM
    Gosh, that was easy!

Thanks folks. I asked because I was absolutely sure there'd be more to it than that ...
    A positive attitude might not solve all your problems, but it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 19th Apr 17, 11:27 AM
    • 3,023 Posts
    • 1,344 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:27 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:27 AM
    Gosh, that was easy! [recover document files]
    I have a dead Win10 PC
    Now the interesting bit - tell us more.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature because somebody complained that the information contained within it was too helpful.
    • Si Clist
    • By Si Clist 19th Apr 17, 1:02 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 2,610 Thanks
    Si Clist
    • 19th Apr 17, 1:02 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 1:02 PM
    Originally posted by grumpycrab
    Sorry, it's very uninteresting indeed. Push-button start switch packed up, maker said "can't be replaced on account of you can't get at it, best way forward is to buy a new case and swop all the bits over" and I thought "gubber that for a lark".

So I spent a happy hour with my Dremel cutting away part of the top panel in order to get at the switch, managed to extract the broken moulding that you pushed on, only to find that the actual switch was indeed stuffed. As the man said, replacement not feasible even if one was available on account of it was mounted straight onto a double-sided PCB, and no way of rigging up a substitute, so PC has gone to the dump (less HD), I'm happy just using the laptop nowadays, and I have more deskraum
    • Si Clist
    • By Si Clist 19th Apr 17, 1:03 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 2,610 Thanks
    Si Clist
    • 19th Apr 17, 1:03 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 1:03 PM
    Sorry, it's very uninteresting indeed. Push-button start switch packed up, maker said "can't be replaced on account of you can't get at it, best way forward is to buy a new case and swop all the bits over" and I thought "gubber that for a lark".

So I spent a happy hour with my Dremel cutting away part of the top panel in order to get at the switch, managed to extract the broken moulding that you pushed on, only to find that the actual switch underneath that was indeed stuffed. As the man said, replacement not feasible even if one was available on account of it was mounted straight onto a double-sided PCB, and no way of rigging up a substitute, so PC has gone to the dump (less HD), I'm happy just using the laptop nowadays, and I have more deskraum
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 19th Apr 17, 1:11 PM
    • 3,023 Posts
    • 1,344 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 19th Apr 17, 1:11 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 1:11 PM
    Sorry, it's very uninteresting indeed.
    Each to ones own.

So I spent a happy hour with my Dremel...
    Find connector on motherboard (do you have the motherboard model?) replace with new connector, wire-pair and any old switch?
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 19th Apr 17, 2:25 PM
    • 1,745 Posts
    • 1,060 Thanks
    DavidP24
    • 19th Apr 17, 2:25 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 2:25 PM
    You may have to take ownership of files if they were created by another user on another PC, this needs to be done recursively to all sub folders.

You may also want to use a program like Recuva which is free and can recover deleted/lost files.

Make sure that you save to another disk not the one you are recovering from, when you are done you can stick the drive in an external hard disk enclosure from eBay (metal are best) and use old drive after reformatting it.
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 19th Apr 17, 3:07 PM
    • 3,023 Posts
    • 1,344 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    Make sure that you save to another disk not the one you are recovering from,
    Originally posted by DavidP24
    Doesn't sound as if the disk needs recovering (assuming OP has checked disk state).
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 19th Apr 17, 4:52 PM
    • 2,444 Posts
    • 2,463 Thanks
    DoaM
    I think David meant "backing up from" when he said "recovering" ... not that the HDD was itself goosed.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Si Clist
    • By Si Clist 19th Apr 17, 5:41 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 2,610 Thanks
    Si Clist
    Find connector on motherboard (do you have the motherboard model?) replace with new connector, wire-pair and any old switch?
    That's all well and good if you know your way round puters. But I don't. There was also the consideration that the PC didn't owe me anything, having been bought 6-7 years ago as a business expense. Plus if I got shut of the PC, a 24" Eizo monitor could follow it, along with the spare 24" Eizo. And the keyboard.

Basically I no longer need a PC. The laptop will do just fine for me now
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 19th Apr 17, 8:42 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 486 Thanks
    Tarambor
    And once you've finished it open a Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, Mega.NZ or Dropbox account and upload a copy of the files to there so you actually for once have a backup that could have saved you needing to do this or at least only meant transferring a few recently updated files.
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 19th Apr 17, 10:21 PM
    • 1,745 Posts
    • 1,060 Thanks
    DavidP24
    Plus if I got shut of the PC, a 24" Eizo monitor could follow it, along with the spare 24" Eizo. And the keyboard.

Basically I no longer need a PC. The laptop will do just fine for me now
    Put them on Freecycle.org, someone will come collect them
    Last edited by DavidP24; 19-04-2017 at 10:24 PM.
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 19th Apr 17, 11:42 PM
    • 7,299 Posts
    • 5,190 Thanks
    esuhl

So I spent a happy hour with my Dremel cutting away part of the top panel in order to get at the switch, managed to extract the broken moulding that you pushed on, only to find that the actual switch was indeed stuffed. As the man said, replacement not feasible even if one was available on account of it was mounted straight onto a double-sided PCB, and no way of rigging up a substitute, so PC has gone to the dump (less HD), I'm happy just using the laptop nowadays, and I have more deskraum
    Cut off the broken switch. You can "hotwire" the PC to turn it on by touching the bare wires together.

Or just replace the switch.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 20th Apr 17, 7:09 AM
    • 11,176 Posts
    • 6,212 Thanks
    Strider590

So I spent a happy hour with my Dremel cutting away part of the top panel in order to get at the switch, managed to extract the broken moulding that you pushed on, only to find that the actual switch underneath that was indeed stuffed. As the man said, replacement not feasible even if one was available on account of it was mounted straight onto a double-sided PCB, and no way of rigging up a substitute, so PC has gone to the dump (less HD), I'm happy just using the laptop nowadays, and I have more deskraum
    To be fair you did half a job, you could have cut into the power switch wire and soldered in a new switch.

HOWEVER, your HDD data recovery is as simple as you think as long as you know the basics of accessing external drives (which a surprising number of people do not).

Unless you used special drive locations, your important files should all be in:
    C:\Users\<yourusername>\
    So copy that entire folder and pick out what you need later on.Just don't copy the contents into your new user account folder (anywhere else is fine), because various program settings are contained in there and you could screw up your laptop. It does mean you can selectively recover settings for some non-windows programs though, if your careful.

This wouldn't work for me, but that's because I hate being told where I should store my files
    Last edited by Strider590; 20-04-2017 at 7:13 AM.
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 20th Apr 17, 8:12 AM
    • 9,530 Posts
    • 7,110 Thanks
    GunJack
    This wouldn't work for me, but that's because I hate being told where I should store my files
    Originally posted by Strider590
    Amen to that
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,912Posts Today

8,952Users online

Martin's Twitter