Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • palgrave
    • By palgrave 19th Apr 17, 8:03 AM
    • 53Posts
    • 8Thanks
    palgrave
    Young, dumb and in debt
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:03 AM
    Young, dumb and in debt 19th Apr 17 at 8:03 AM
    I can't begin to tell you the number of young couples I've come across, not on the property ladder but renting, relatively low incomes yet have a PCP/car finance for some fancy new wheels.
    My niece who is 21 years old rents with her partner (22 y.o) and has a brand new Audi A3 on finance. She works in retail with an annual salary of £14k while her partner works as a hotel receptionist with an annual salary of £17k. They rent a studio flat that probably takes up more than half of their monthly combined salary. What really annoys me is that they both have the option of moving in with their parents who live close by and are more than ademrnt on them doing so, in order for them to save for a flat deposit but they refuse. They both want to be"independent" yet live on credit cards buying fancy new clothes, Virgin active gym membership and and now the flash new car. I told my niece to save for a flat deposit rather than splashing out for a new Audi and putting them both under debt but she just didn't listen. I realise I'm ranting but what can I really do now???
Page 2
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 19th Apr 17, 3:56 PM
    • 738 Posts
    • 799 Thanks
    treboeth
    Motorguy see my post above OP has a history of posting inflammatory threads.
    Perfect example of a Troll, posts up to start arguments between other members on here.
    Lending someone financially inept £15k
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 19th Apr 17, 4:06 PM
    • 354 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Motorguy see my post above OP has a history of posting inflammatory threads.
    Perfect example of a Troll, posts up to start arguments between other members on here.
    Lending someone financially inept £15k
    Originally posted by treboeth
    You couldn't make it up...... oh hold on he has.
    • B_G_B
    • By B_G_B 19th Apr 17, 4:15 PM
    • 343 Posts
    • 342 Thanks
    B_G_B
    I can't begin to tell you...........
    Originally posted by palgrave
    Not true. In the next sentence you begin to tell us.
    My niece who is 21 years old rents with her partner.............
    • Retrogamer
    • By Retrogamer 19th Apr 17, 4:44 PM
    • 3,636 Posts
    • 3,657 Thanks
    Retrogamer
    I realise I'm ranting but what can I really do now???
    Respect the fact that as adults they can and will make their own decisions, both good and bad.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 19th Apr 17, 8:36 PM
    • 514 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    Tarambor
    What really annoys me is that they both have the option of moving in with their parents who live close by and are more than ademrnt on them doing so, in order for them to save for a flat deposit but they refuse.
    Probably because when they're wanting to have a good shag on a Friday night they don't want to have to tone it down because mum and dad can hear everything.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 19th Apr 17, 11:46 PM
    • 1,401 Posts
    • 1,844 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    It would appear financial stupidity runs in the whole family.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 20th Apr 17, 10:47 AM
    • 3,923 Posts
    • 3,239 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    I see the 'Ask for opinions on a fictional scenario' phase has now begun.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,204Posts Today

6,800Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • As I've said before - energy price cap sounds good, and will likely be popular, but there's a big risk of making th? https://t.co/ubeV9vnmU7

• Just seen @IvoGraham doing stand up in a comedy club. Superb, witty, self depricating, clever stuff. Go see him if you get the chance

• RT @ChrissyNunn: New one from @Tesco today.. "The sale of Goods Act is just legislation, it's like a guideline, it's not law" @MartinSLewis?

• Follow Martin