Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tgon
    • By tgon 19th Apr 17, 7:31 AM
    • 564Posts
    • 277Thanks
    tgon
    Reducing my online footprint
    • 19th Apr 17, 7:31 AM
    Reducing my online footprint 19th Apr 17 at 7:31 AM
    I'm currently dealing with a case of identity theft and fraudulent activity on my credit card. The card provider has been helpful in this matter. As a consequence, It made me realise how much of my personal information is stored in online accounts, some with payment card details.

But trying to get online companies to close down my unused accounts is incredibly frustrating as some either ignore my request or flatly refuse to do so. A particular worry is supermarket shopping where a payment card must exist alongside the account. Even though my credit card is now cancelled, it makes me wonder if the security risk of stored payment cards is worth the convenience of online shopping.

My vent is to all those companies who refuse to help reduce my digital footprint that they perpetuate the risk of online fraud. Perhaps it's a consequence of modern life but it's one I'm struggling to reduce the risk of adverse outcomes.
Page 1
    • Pound
    • By Pound 19th Apr 17, 8:04 AM
    • 2,627 Posts
    • 1,305 Thanks
    Pound
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:04 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:04 AM
    How would closing your accounts down help? Presumably they would still retain any data they hold.

• tgon
    • By tgon 19th Apr 17, 8:40 AM
    • 564 Posts
    • 277 Thanks
    tgon
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:40 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:40 AM
    Denied authorisation at login and if my data serves no statutory purpose then delete it.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 19th Apr 17, 10:36 AM
    • 9,448 Posts
    • 10,614 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:36 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:36 AM
    The saving of accounts that involved a financial transaction of any sort will be kept for a minimum of 6 years from the date of a transaction as this is the time limit for attempting any claims against the company.
    For this reason, even if you close your account, no reputable company will delete you personal or financial details for at least this period of time.
    • Stevie Palimo
    • By Stevie Palimo 19th Apr 17, 10:53 AM
    • 3,099 Posts
    • 4,417 Thanks
    Stevie Palimo
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:53 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:53 AM
    Financial services can keep records for an indefinite period of time and before anyone says different it is to do with liability on the Company and this can go both ways :-

IE:- PPI complaint after 7 years so if the DPA was in place and stated that 6 years was a maximum term then you could not reclaim any redress after this period of time.

From a Company not financial services so maybe a clothing store online if you buy off them Today there requirements by the DPA that state that records should not be used after a 6 year period and even if you write to a Company and say stop processing my data they will not delete it in full and it will be added to a do not contact list.

It can then be pulled off of a server and stored manually for archiving.
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 19th Apr 17, 10:54 AM
    • 16,906 Posts
    • 27,462 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:54 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:54 AM
    If you want to improve your security/risk to fraud then go through all your online accounts and make sure they use distinct passwords.

Password reuse is a massive risk.
    • missile
    • By missile 19th Apr 17, 11:25 AM
    • 8,853 Posts
    • 4,278 Thanks
    missile
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:25 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:25 AM
    I feel your pain and share your anxiety over stored data. I never tick the box to store credit card data. I object to those companies who share data and use spoof details wherever possible.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 19th Apr 17, 1:18 PM
    • 2,121 Posts
    • 2,013 Thanks
    TheGardener
    • 19th Apr 17, 1:18 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 1:18 PM
    I have a Barclays basic account with zero overdraft for this sort of thing. I use this card only as the registered payment method for ebay/amazon/supermarket etc. I do not keep any cash in this account. At the point of any purchase I use a mobile banking app to transfer the exact amount needed into the registered account - and then hit the pay now button.
    This way, even if the account details get into the wrong hands - there is nothing for them to take. It doesn't prevent fraud - but it does limit the damage.
    Also - never tick the 'save my details box'
    I also concur that strong passwords are essential. I have a short poem I learned by heart as a child - I use system of using each line of the poem in turn as the password 'generator' its not as complicated as it sounds and if I ever forget the password - its easy (for me) to work out what it should be.
    Last edited by TheGardener; 19-04-2017 at 1:36 PM.
    • ARandomMiser
    • By ARandomMiser 19th Apr 17, 7:28 PM
    • 1,680 Posts
    • 3,496 Thanks
    ARandomMiser
    • 19th Apr 17, 7:28 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 7:28 PM
    I am afraid that once you are online it is virtually impossible to go back offline
    IITYYHTBMAD
    • pennystretcher
    • By pennystretcher 4th May 17, 1:58 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 1,314 Thanks
    pennystretcher
    Same here, I have started removing all accounts that are no longer in use, but expect the information to remain in the databases for long time afterwards...
    MFW September 2017 £590 (almost there!!!)
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 5th May 17, 10:13 AM
    • 2,077 Posts
    • 1,054 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    If you want to improve your security/risk to fraud then go through all your online accounts and make sure they use distinct passwords.

Password reuse is a massive risk.
    Originally posted by ringo_24601
    Not according to PayPal, who never ask people to change their passwords. The reasoning apparently is that people will choose less secure passwords if they are constantly having to change them. This according to a report in Thursday's Daily Mail.
    • bingo bango
    • By bingo bango 5th May 17, 11:08 AM
    • 2,459 Posts
    • 1,459 Thanks
    bingo bango
    Bear in mind that DPA will be replaced by the GDPR next May.

This will provide significant extra rights for data subjects and will allow you to force removal of data that is not essential for the business (they need a legal basis to hold the data - think along the lines of Stevie's post above about financial data).

From then, you simply have to withdraw consent for your data to be stored/used and they MUST delete it.

More information - but not yet the full picture - at the ICO website.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

171Posts Today

1,295Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin