Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LEK
    • By LEK 19th Apr 17, 6:43 AM
    • 81Posts
    • 41Thanks
    LEK
    Ex Landlord demanding final settlement
    • 19th Apr 17, 6:43 AM
    Ex Landlord demanding final settlement 19th Apr 17 at 6:43 AM
    Good morning,

Just a few hours ago I received a very surprising text message from my ex landlord with regards to demanding a final settlement bill to be paid for a property we've just moved out of.

Just an insight into this scenario, myself and my partner moved in towards the middle of November last year, and signed a 6 month private tenancy agreement that started as of the 1st December (I paid him a little extra as instructed by him in order to move in on the earlier date) and to last until 1st June of this year. In the meantime we have been had on our local housing association list to get a more, affordable rented council property eventually.

Fast forward to the end of Feb of this year, we gave him written as well as verbal notice to end the tenancy early as we had been approved a new property through the housing association. On my end of tenancy letter that I presented to him, I specifically instructed him to inform us what a final settlement bill would come to based on the date from when we would moved out of the property - on paper this was dated the 25th March, to which we managed to carry out successfully.

However, between the time of us giving him notice in late Feb, moving out in late March & right up until now - he has failed to come back to me with regards to a final settlement bill and over text message last night is rudely asking for this money to be paid, despite his lack of detail.

This also comes very conveniently that his date to respond with regards to the refund of our deposit via the TDS people is also due today.

Throughout this time period I have liaised with him over the phone on three separate occasions since giving notice, but not on one of the occasions has he ever brought up the following I am writing about today and it's only been about arranging new tenants to come and view the property, meter readings from suppliers & arranging to hand keys in etc. - all of which was met to his satisfactory and he even informed me when I last saw him face to face that he was happy with the property, had a courtesy email from the TDS people with regards to my deposit refund and would sort it out (which he hasn't done either). Additionally, I have been reliably informed that one of the new tenant viewings was successful and as a result has since moved into the property.

I feel that all of this is likely because the refund of the deposit is due and I reckon he's trying to withhold it from us for what ever reason. Just one final note, we always paid the rent on time to him and our final payment before moving out in late March was made to him at the 1st Match (which would bring us up to date anyway with rent and technically I overpaid him as we moved out on the 25th). Quite frankly though I am disgusted and insulted by his behaviour with what has arisen.

If I could have some insight and advice into this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks - Liam.
    Last edited by LEK; 19-04-2017 at 6:48 AM.
Page 2
    • LEK
    • By LEK 19th Apr 17, 1:06 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    LEK
    So within only a few minutes the LL text you to say he wanted money from you whilst instructing DPS to release the deposit. Unless he thinks he has a better chance to get something from you for breaking the terms of the lease taking you to court rather then through the deposit scheme, his actions make no sense.
    Originally posted by FBaby
    The ex LL first sent his text message during the small hours of this morning, then a few hours later when I woke up at 6AM and shortly before posting this thread - I then responded to him asking what money he is talking about that I supposedly own to him, as this was the very first mention of it out of the blue and that he failed to alert me between the time of me giving him notice in Feb right up until today of what I actually owe him, as well as a cost breakdown. He did not respond back to my reply.

Fast forward to around 9AM, an email arrives from the TDS people notifying me that he has authorised to have the deposit, in full paid directly back to me. I've even printed the official document that they've generated which contains a full breakdown of any deductions if I was liable for any - all deduction fields in question are zero.

Liam.
    Last edited by LEK; 19-04-2017 at 1:08 PM.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 19th Apr 17, 1:34 PM
    • 15,286 Posts
    • 13,617 Thanks
    AdrianC
    So within only a few minutes the LL text you to say he wanted money from you whilst instructing DPS to release the deposit. Unless he thinks he has a better chance to get something from you for breaking the terms of the lease taking you to court rather then through the deposit scheme, his actions make no sense.
    Originally posted by FBaby
    Oh, they do, if you presume that he simply hasn't got the paperwork to back his claim up. The claim may well be legitimate, but without proof...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,239Posts Today

7,548Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin