Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lomax512
    • By lomax512 19th Apr 17, 3:33 AM
    • 20Posts
    • 19Thanks
    lomax512
    Hard Drive Folders
    • 19th Apr 17, 3:33 AM
    Hard Drive Folders 19th Apr 17 at 3:33 AM
    Just a quick one

I have two HDDs I use for backing up all my folders (they should have the same amount of folders on each drive) but now and again one HDD shows more files and folders that the other if I select all folders then right click and properties and see the folder and file count.

Is there any software that I can easily tell what the extra folder/s and files are so I can copy them over so that the exact amount of folders and files are on each drive

Page 1
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 19th Apr 17, 4:04 AM
    • 746 Posts
    • 810 Thanks
    treboeth
    • 19th Apr 17, 4:04 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 4:04 AM
    https://www.freefilesync.org/

Simple to use.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 19th Apr 17, 7:16 AM
    • 11,000 Posts
    • 6,111 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 19th Apr 17, 7:16 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 7:16 AM
    They're probably just hidden/system files which don't copy over manually unless you have folder settings set to show all files. Most likely the missing files are the thumbnail files, which windows creates in a directory in order to generate thumbnail previews of images contained within.
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
    • lomax512
    • By lomax512 19th Apr 17, 11:30 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    lomax512
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:30 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:30 AM
    Hi

It wasn't thumbs or hidden files it was just that I had added more files to one drive than the other due to being an old fat lol, the first reply helped me out as it put me onto MS sync toy which allowed me to sync over whole drives.

Big thanks to the both of you for the kind and helpful replies
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,815Posts Today

7,312Users online

Martin's Twitter