Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • starkiwi26
    • By starkiwi26 18th Apr 17, 10:45 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 1Thanks
    starkiwi26
    New to ISA Stocks and Shares
    • 18th Apr 17, 10:45 PM
    New to ISA Stocks and Shares 18th Apr 17 at 10:45 PM
    Hello all,

My background
    I am 34 years old now, single male, have stable job and middle income at basic rate 20%.
    I own a small house (£130k, 80% mortgage, recently remortgaged with good low interest rate), £20k cash in Santander 123 as emergency fund (enjoy 1.5% interest)
    I paid 8% of my salary, whereas my employer paid 10% of my salary for pension. I believe this is sufficient at my age now.

My availability
    After deducting all expenses, I have disposable money monthly of about £1100
    I save £100 monthly for my annual holiday travel/entertainment
    so, left about £1000, which I plan
    a) £500 for short term investment (3-5 years)
    b) £500 for medium term (5-10 years)
    My salary is not high, this is my hard earn money with pain and sweat, I minimize all my expenses to keep this saving, therefore I really want the best out of them

My 2017 resolution:
    I committed to myself that I should make use of the £20k ISA budget this year, this mean a saving of £1,667/month.
    Source: £1k from my monthly disposable income and £667 from Santander (because I feel my emergency fund is too high, and also Santander had reduced its interest down to 1.5%.)

My plan
    I am relatively young and have no family commitment. My parents are doing fine also, need no support from me.
    Therefore, I target ISA Stocks and Shares which I believe can bring maximum profit at reasonable risk short term (3-5 years) and long term (5-10 years). Following MSE advice, I plan to split my money for monthly investment (direct debit) with £1,667/month (total £20k investment ISA Budget).

My questions:
    I read MSE guide on ISA Stocks and Shares, the more I read, the more I confuse with platform fees, trading fees and fund manager fees.
    For example, I plan to do investment monthly, on 3 different funds (MSE: diversify to derisk), do this mean I will make 3x trading per month?
    Appreciate the master and guru here could share your experience and give guidance to newbie like me how to start the ISA investment?
    A recommendation of ISA Stocks and Shares platform and how to start the first investment will be very helpful.
    If you have other better investment tips (not limited to ISA stocks and shares) are very welcome also.

Many thanks in a advance.
    Last edited by starkiwi26; 18-04-2017 at 10:49 PM.
Page 1
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 18th Apr 17, 11:18 PM
    • 11,682 Posts
    • 9,957 Thanks
    jimjames
    • 18th Apr 17, 11:18 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 11:18 PM
    Don't read the MSE guides, start with www.monevator.com

Well done for making the first steps though, read up and ask more questions if you need clarification
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • economic
    • By economic 18th Apr 17, 11:30 PM
    • 1,163 Posts
    • 539 Thanks
    economic
    • 18th Apr 17, 11:30 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 11:30 PM
    I am 34 as well and it is sad to see not many people like the OP here. most people our age tend to just spend it all. well done OP.
    • Eco Miser
    • By Eco Miser 19th Apr 17, 1:02 AM
    • 2,735 Posts
    • 2,541 Thanks
    Eco Miser
    • 19th Apr 17, 1:02 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 1:02 AM
    Well done on taking the first steps to investment.
    My 2017 resolution:
    I committed to myself that I should make use of the £20k ISA budget this year, this mean a saving of £1,667/month.
    Source: £1k from my monthly disposable income and £667 from Santander (because I feel my emergency fund is too high, and also Santander had reduced its interest down to 1.5%.)
    Originally posted by starkiwi26
    Rather than take £667 out of Santander every month, why not invest £8000 or £9000 as soon as you have decided what you want to invest in, and then add the £1000 you have spare each month thereafter?

You can reduce transaction fees by only buying one fund each month, cycling round the funds you (intend to) have.
    You can eliminate transaction fees altogether, at the cost of paying a percentage of all your holdings on the platform. This can be cheaper, but probably not for long if you plan on filling your ISA every year.

SnowMan's spreadsheet, obtainable from here allows you to compare platforms for your circumstances.

Monevator also has a list of platforms and charges, and as stated, a lot of useful information.

You could be getting 5% rather than 1.5% on some of your cash.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
    • Fatbritabroad
    • By Fatbritabroad 19th Apr 17, 5:45 AM
    • 139 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    Fatbritabroad
    • 19th Apr 17, 5:45 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 5:45 AM
    I am 34 as well and it is sad to see not many people like the OP here. most people our age tend to just spend it all. well done OP.
    Originally posted by economic
    Not all of us I'm 36 and have bee boringly frugal since being about 20. I had the spend gene knocked out of me after running a 2500 bill upon my first credit card. My dad fortunately cleared it so I didn't have any interest to pay but I had to pay him back 100 a month. Seeing how long it took me to pay back just the capital not the interest was enough for me!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,619Posts Today

8,579Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • MSE weekly email: Big Energy Switch 7, £5 Next/Zara etc, buy euros now?, 10xNectar, 2for1 gardens, urgent easyjet https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Today's Twitter poll 2: following on, which of these professions would you trust least if you were using their services?

• Today's Twitter poll: Which of these professions would you trust most if you were using their services?

• Follow Martin