Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Elavdm
    • By Elavdm 18th Apr 17, 10:13 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Elavdm
    Help with stamp duty and lawyer fees
    • 18th Apr 17, 10:13 PM
    Help with stamp duty and lawyer fees 18th Apr 17 at 10:13 PM
    Hi
    My partner and I are buying a house together. All deposit is from a sale of his property. I have been given money to help to pay for stamp duty and lawyer fees etc. Do I need to declare source of it to the lawyers ?
    Thank you
Page 1
    • Lilla D
    • By Lilla D 18th Apr 17, 10:30 PM
    • 308 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    Lilla D
    • 18th Apr 17, 10:30 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 10:30 PM
    Hi, lenders typically only ask about the source of funds for the deposit - very few ask about the purchase related costs. Consequently, the solicitor doesn't normally bother about the source of funds for the costs either. However, receiving a gift from family to help with the costs is perfectly acceptable and normal, so if the solicitor asks, you should be able to declare it without any issues.
    I am a Mortgage Broker
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • Elavdm
    • By Elavdm 20th Apr 17, 8:49 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Elavdm
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:49 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:49 PM
    Thank you 😊
    Don't want to sound daft but I was told I need to disclose source of funds for deposit and any monies related to purchase price. And not sure what they mean by any monies related i.e. Stamp duty ? Fees?
    • ACG
    • By ACG 20th Apr 17, 8:53 PM
    • 15,390 Posts
    • 7,782 Thanks
    ACG
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:53 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:53 PM
    If you have been asked to do something by the lender then you need to do it.
    If you have been asked to do something by the solicitor then you can question it, but ultimately you are paying for their advice. If it is the olicitors, pick up the phone and speak to them, that is what they are there for.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,872Posts Today

6,444Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin