Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rover25
    • By rover25 18th Apr 17, 10:04 PM
    • 384Posts
    • 34Thanks
    rover25
    Stamp duty on 2nd house? Confused
    • 18th Apr 17, 10:04 PM
    Stamp duty on 2nd house? Confused 18th Apr 17 at 10:04 PM
    Can anyone tell me how much I would have to pay in stamp duty on 2nd house costing £168k?
    Calculator telling me £5900 but sis in law who bought recently says that is wrong.
    She says they thought they would have to pay £4,500 on approx £140k property but that it was much much less.
    Thanks everyone
Page 1
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 18th Apr 17, 10:07 PM
    • 10,810 Posts
    • 14,942 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 18th Apr 17, 10:07 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 10:07 PM
    You would pay £5,900 if you are purchasing and additional residential property.

Was you SIL purchasing an additional residential property or was she replacing her main residence?
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • amateur house
    • By amateur house 18th Apr 17, 10:10 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    amateur house
    • 18th Apr 17, 10:10 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 10:10 PM
    I think £5900 seems right,
    3% on the first £125k is £3750
    5% on the remaining £43k is £2150

Someone else may know better
    • rover25
    • By rover25 18th Apr 17, 10:17 PM
    • 384 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    rover25
    • 18th Apr 17, 10:17 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 10:17 PM
    Pixie5740 , this is their 2nd property. They have rented out their first house and are now living in their new house.
    She said they thought it would be £4500 but it was only a small amount. Will text her to find out exactly.
    • rover25
    • By rover25 18th Apr 17, 10:47 PM
    • 384 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    rover25
    • 18th Apr 17, 10:47 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 10:47 PM
    They have just paid the normal 2% on £138k on their 2nd property. Don't know how they managed it!
    • amateur house
    • By amateur house 18th Apr 17, 10:59 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    amateur house
    • 18th Apr 17, 10:59 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 10:59 PM
    Did they complete the purchase before 1st April 2016 before the new rules took effect?
    • rover25
    • By rover25 18th Apr 17, 11:05 PM
    • 384 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    rover25
    • 18th Apr 17, 11:05 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 11:05 PM
    No, they bought in October 2016
    • amateur house
    • By amateur house 18th Apr 17, 11:50 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    amateur house
    • 18th Apr 17, 11:50 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 11:50 PM
    Strange. I was in the process of buying a house recently. It fell through in the end, but the solicitor told me the stamp duty would be £2700 (on a £92k purchase price) as I hadn't sold my current house.
    • delicious11
    • By delicious11 19th Apr 17, 8:31 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    delicious11
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:31 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:31 AM
    I know I should start another thread but my question relates to stamp duties on second properties.

I already have a property in my name which I don't want to sell. My partner does not. If we buy a property together would we still have to pay the new stamp duty charge? I was wondering how that would work out as he is first time buyer and I am not.
    • delicious11
    • By delicious11 19th Apr 17, 10:29 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    delicious11
    Originally Posted by delicious11
    I know I should search start another threads but I can't be bothered, so instead I'll simply post a question relates to stamp duties on that has been asked and answered umpteen times already regarding the most common scenario applicable to second properties.

I already have a property in my name which I don't want to sell. My partner does not. If we buy a property together would we still have to pay the new stamp duty charge? I was wondering how that would work out as he is first time buyer and I am not.

Wait ..why are you so rude? I asked an innocent question in a relative thread and expected a concise answer. However, you post a link that does not tell me exactly what I need to know and try to edit my post in the process? I could go on about your insolence but I will say that if you can't provide the answer that I want then you are not forced to respond.

Not everyone has time to trawl through old threads and sometimes searches do not bring the correct information anyway. Further more not everyone spends 24 hours on this board to know that it has been discussed up teem times so do not assume they know!
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 19th Apr 17, 10:32 AM
    • 5,371 Posts
    • 6,037 Thanks
    lovinituk
    I know I should start another thread but my question relates to stamp duties on second properties.

I already have a property in my name which I don't want to sell. My partner does not. If we buy a property together would we still have to pay the new stamp duty charge?
    Originally posted by delicious11
    Yes.......
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 19th Apr 17, 10:47 AM
    • 4,557 Posts
    • 3,400 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Can anyone tell me how much I would have to pay in stamp duty on 2nd house costing £168k?
    Calculator telling me £5900 but sis in law who bought recently says that is wrong.
    She says they thought they would have to pay £4,500 on approx £140k property but that it was much much less.
    Thanks everyone
    Originally posted by rover25

I take it you didn't get anywhere with your negative equity with ulster bank then? Just being nosy as I messaged you at the time
    • saajan_12
    • By saajan_12 19th Apr 17, 11:21 AM
    • 748 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    saajan_12
    Wait ..why are you so rude? - Like the rudeness in expecting spoonfed answers to standard questions easily searchable on this forum and the actual stamp duty guidance, and getting grumpy when a poster pulls you up on it? I asked an innocent question in a relative thread and expected a concise answer. - YOU are expected to do some basic research atleast if you would like help. Why do you think anyone here has to live up to your expectations? However, you post a link that does not tell me exactly what I need to know - yes there is an exact example of only one of the joint owners being a FTB and try to edit my post in the process? I could go on about your insolence but I will say that if you can't provide the answer that I want then you are not forced to respond. - but they may respond.

Not everyone has time to trawl through old threads - Well then why expect someone else to take their time? You are the one that would like to know, so if anyone, you should be taking the time. and sometimes searches do not bring the correct information anyway. - But in this case it would have if you'd bothered to search Further more not everyone spends 24 hours on this board to know that it has been discussed up teem times so do not assume they know!- You don't have to spend 24hours, just type a couple of words in the search box and hit enter, to see the umpteen threads.
    Since you would like the help, it would be nice if you were respectful of other people's time and tried to research yourself before shouting down other posters.
    • delicious11
    • By delicious11 19th Apr 17, 6:46 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    delicious11
    Since you would like the help, it would be nice if you were respectful of other people's time and tried to research yourself before shouting down other posters.
    Originally posted by saajan_12
    As I said, I expected a concise answer and that has kindly been provided by lovinituk in this thread. The rudeness and lectures were not necessary. Since you value your time, the time you spent editing my post instead of simply replying concisely could have been put to better use don't you think?
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 19th Apr 17, 6:59 PM
    • 4,642 Posts
    • 9,299 Thanks
    marliepanda
    As I said, I expected a concise answer and that has kindly been provided by lovinituk in this thread. The rudeness and lectures were not necessary. Since you value your time, the time you spent editing my post instead of simply replying concisely could have been put to better use don't you think?
    What is more concise than pointing you to the place you can find out the info?

It wasnt rude at all. Considering youre basically asking 'I have one property, and Im going to buy a SECOND property with my girlfriend, does SECOND property stamp duty apply??????'
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • delicious11
    • By delicious11 19th Apr 17, 7:50 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    delicious11
    What is more concise than pointing you to the place you can find out the info?

It wasnt rude at all. Considering youre basically asking 'I have one property, and Im going to buy a SECOND property with my girlfriend, does SECOND property stamp duty apply??????'
    Originally posted by marliepanda
    A simple 'yes' or 'no' answer would have sufficed. More concise than being given a link to a large 50 page document and my initial post being rudely edited.

What is the purpose of a public message board if people are not allowed to ask questions on a without being berated for not doing their research first?
    • saajan_12
    • By saajan_12 20th Apr 17, 9:36 AM
    • 748 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    saajan_12
    Not everyone has time to trawl through old threads and sometimes searches do not bring the correct information anyway.
    I thought you didn't have time to search one of the simplest applications of the 3% stamp duty?

I guess you do have time to argue with other posters about their precise manner of helping.

You can expect all you like, if you're the one asking for help be greatful for people's efforts.
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 20th Apr 17, 9:51 AM
    • 31,905 Posts
    • 17,052 Thanks
    kingstreet
    Perhaps a SDLT sticky at the top might be a good idea?

That way people can find their own answers without multiple variants of the same question constantly appearing.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,844Posts Today

8,575Users online

Martin's Twitter