Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MonaElysia
    • By MonaElysia 18th Apr 17, 9:31 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MonaElysia
    Is the DVLA in the wrong or me?
    • 18th Apr 17, 9:31 PM
    Is the DVLA in the wrong or me? 18th Apr 17 at 9:31 PM
    Hello, everyone. I would really like some advice because the police pulled me over and told me I was not the registered keeper and that the road tax had not been paid for 15 months. The car has been impounded pending £100 release fee and the back tax being paid plus no doubt fines as well.
    I am devastated because I had set up a DD for the tax back when I purchased the car and I was unaware that the DVLA did not have me as the registered keeper. I have turned the house upside down to try to find an acknowledgement letter from the DVLA but this is harking back to December 2014 so I can't find any proof. Well the DD ran for 12 months and then no further payments out of my account. I hadn't noticed I just assumed it would keep running. Everything else is up together. Where do I stand - I am extremely concerned because I drive about 2000 miles a month and if the DVLA could not contact me I guess there could be lots of fines. Should they have stopped the DD as well because I certainly didn't.
Page 1
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 19th Apr 17, 8:47 AM
    • 39,262 Posts
    • 78,443 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:47 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:47 AM
    You would be better posting this on pepipoo.com as they are the experts in this sort of thing whereas we concentrate on private parking issues here on MSE.

I think you are going to have to pay the back tax and the release fee though while you sort it out. Hopefully you should still have the money in your bank account that you thought was going out each month and not spent it, so can fund at least the back tax if not the next six/twelve months.

I think you will also need to talk to your bank about who cancelled the DD.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • CardinalWolsey
    • By CardinalWolsey 19th Apr 17, 9:06 AM
    • 51 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    CardinalWolsey
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:06 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:06 AM
    Even if paying by direct debit, your car tax does not auto-renew. The onus is on you to go back and renew your car tax at the appropriate time, at which point, if relevant, MOT checks etc will be carried out (you can't renew your tax if you don't have a valid MOT, if one is required).

No need to find any other information from DVLA as to whether you are the registered keeper - this information is on your V5, which you should have.
    • fisherjim
    • By fisherjim 19th Apr 17, 9:11 AM
    • 2,158 Posts
    • 3,201 Thanks
    fisherjim
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:11 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:11 AM
    I think the Cardinal is spot on!
    To quote the words of the great Count Arthur Strong "You Couldn't make it up"
    • kev_min
    • By kev_min 19th Apr 17, 9:38 AM
    • 145 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    kev_min
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:38 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:38 AM
    The cardinal may be wrong on this, the line below was copied from the comfirmation email DVLA sent when I set up the tax DD for a new vehicle....

"Your vehicle tax will automatically renew unless you notify us of any changes. We will send a new payment schedule at the time of renewal."

which kind of suggests the tax will auto renew.
    At times any combination of my spelling, grammar or punctuation may be incorrect. Please do not pick me up for this as, after all, it is only an internet forum.
    • bazzyb
    • By bazzyb 19th Apr 17, 9:59 AM
    • 976 Posts
    • 3,146 Thanks
    bazzyb
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:59 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:59 AM
    Filling the gaps here, it sounds like the following may have occurred:
    - DVLA were never informed of new keeper (or at least never received the notification.
    - Direct debit set up to pay the RFL but again DVLA not aware keeper had changed.
    - At the end of the 12 months, they write to the registered keeper advising of the new payment schedule (registered keeper still previous owner).
    - Registered keeper has contacted DVLA to say he no longer owns the vehicle and so they have cancelled the Direct Debit.

OP, did you ever receive new V5c document? You mention an acknowledgement letter, but this should have been the document which was sent to you initially. If you didn't receive this then I suspect the above is what has happened.

If you did receive a V5c and the car is in fact registered in your name, then this document can help you to evidence that a mistake has been made.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

179Posts Today

1,249Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • You're right, of course. How silly of me. After all, all my work is solely focused on my own personal circumstance? https://t.co/m6DHzFUjzg

• RT @ARJMOR: @MartinSLewis It may well be kind of random, but the algorithm used has a bias to the unpopular seats.

• It seems what Ryanair is saying is "don't pay and we leave you the seats we don't think people want and they're in the middle."

• Follow Martin