Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Annouck
    • By Annouck 18th Apr 17, 8:31 PM
    • 39Posts
    • 9Thanks
    Annouck
    Anyone else had money debited by Eon without authorisation?
    • 18th Apr 17, 8:31 PM
    Anyone else had money debited by Eon without authorisation? 18th Apr 17 at 8:31 PM
    Hi
    I paid my final bill to Eon some months ago by debit card. Two weeks ago a second, very similar amount, was debited. Eon say they have no record of this. My bank have done a charge back on the amount but their own investigations have confirmed that the merchant who debited my account was Eon.
    Eon appear to be overlooking this part of my complaint (I have had nothing but trouble with them and am relieved to be back with EDF) and just saying that it wasn't them. I am concerned that they may be victims of cyber crime and small similar amounts are being taken to avoid detection. Or it's an insider crime. Who knows!
    My complaint continues, but I wondered if anyone else had had similar issues.

Thanks all
    A
Page 1
  • E.ON Company Representative: Helena
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:44 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:44 AM
    Good morning Annouck,

I'm sorry that you're having some problems with us, it's shame you've decided to leave us.

It sounds like you're doing the right thing and following the complaints procedure.

Could there be a possibility that you paid an estimated final bill and we've now received some accurate meter reads from your new supplier and we've produced a revised bill and claimed the amount from your bank (if you had a Direct Debit)

Or I understand you paid the final bill by Debit card. If you had a Direct Debit in place we would have advised on the final bill how and when this would be claimed from your bank account, but we should be clearly to be able to see this.

The other thing is maybe if the Debit card went through twice, but then this would have been exactly the same amount.

It really could be a few things and as I say, you're doing the right thing and we'll get to the bottom of it for you.

Thank you

Helena
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • Annouck
    • By Annouck 19th Apr 17, 7:01 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Annouck
    • 19th Apr 17, 7:01 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 7:01 PM
    Hi. I've provided the actual readings again, but the estimation was 4x my usage for electric and, wait for it, 39934 for gas - the actual reading was 324. Way to go on the estimations. I don't owe you any more money, but the money was debited from a credit card. Bank has an investigations unit and has confirmed that it was taken by Eon. You guys are denying all knowledge. In fact, you completely avoided the issues in my complaint and offered me a tenner. This is a very important issue and money disappearing for debit cards can't happen. I'm waiting to see if it occurs again at the end of this month as it was 30th March, last day of the month. I've complained again & tried to explain. It's escalated but again the letter isn't being read properly as the information coming back is contradictory. I just wondered if anyone has felt this same problem to see if there is a pattern. It's very odd indeed & has so far cost me hours and lots of calls to an 0870 bank number which I've just realised has also cost me more than a tenner!
    • FullForce
    • By FullForce 20th Apr 17, 10:20 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    FullForce
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:20 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:20 AM
    Hi. I've provided the actual readings again, but the estimation was 4x my usage for electric and, wait for it, 39934 for gas - the actual reading was 324. Way to go on the estimations. I don't owe you any more money, but the money was debited from a credit card. Bank has an investigations unit and has confirmed that it was taken by Eon. You guys are denying all knowledge. In fact, you completely avoided the issues in my complaint and offered me a tenner. This is a very important issue and money disappearing for debit cards can't happen. I'm waiting to see if it occurs again at the end of this month as it was 30th March, last day of the month. I've complained again & tried to explain. It's escalated but again the letter isn't being read properly as the information coming back is contradictory. I just wondered if anyone has felt this same problem to see if there is a pattern. It's very odd indeed & has so far cost me hours and lots of calls to an 0870 bank number which I've just realised has also cost me more than a tenner!
    Originally posted by Annouck
    Follow the complaint procedure to the end. If you are not happy with the answer you get, then the complaint procedure explains your right to have the ombudsman service hear your complaint after 8 weeks (unless you get a deadlock letter sooner)

Which bank are you with that uses an 0870 number as their contact?

Even if they do, are you sure there isn't an alternative on
    https://www.saynoto0870.com/

If you have now received the unauthorised amount deducted back from your bank, you won't get much else from the supplier apart from possibly an apology.

You will still need to settle the final bill when it is produced (and agreed).
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 23rd Apr 17, 4:46 AM
    • 1,640 Posts
    • 912 Thanks
    Ian011
    • 23rd Apr 17, 4:46 AM
    • 23rd Apr 17, 4:46 AM
    It's very odd indeed & has so far cost me hours and lots of calls to an 0870 bank number which I've just realised has also cost me more than a tenner!
    Originally posted by Annouck
    FCA regulations effective 26 October 2015 have banned banks, card companies and insurers from using premium rate numbers starting 084, 087 or 09 for contact by existing customers. In most cases, numbers starting 084 and 087 have been changed to the matching 034 or 037 numbers. Others have chosen a new 033 or 080 number. In some cases the old number still works and does not have an announcement about the new number. Check the official website for your bank or some recent paperwork for the official number.

If you are searching Google for a contact number beware that most of the results will be for websites offering call connection services. Call connection services promote their own premium rate numbers that simply forward calls onwards to the organisation you wanted to contact. This is little more than a scam. Always avoid calling numbers starting 070, 084, 087 or 09. Where these numbers are shown in search results they are usually either out of date or are part of a scam. Make sure you report these websites to ASA and PSA.
    Last edited by Ian011; 23-04-2017 at 4:49 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,771Posts Today

8,222Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin