Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mishelly
    • By mishelly 18th Apr 17, 7:40 PM
    • 118Posts
    • 77Thanks
    mishelly
    Train season ticket and tax
    • 18th Apr 17, 7:40 PM
    Train season ticket and tax 18th Apr 17 at 7:40 PM
    Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me to understand the tax on my train travel season ticket. I really cant get my head round it.

So, I have purchased an annual ticket through my employer at a cost of £2700. My employer pays £2000 of this for me (as a benefit) and the rest I pay as a loan over the next 12 months.

The whole lot is added to my salary on my next payday so I get additional tax / NI / student loan contributions which totals a whopping £800 this month
    The £2000 also gets added to my P11D as a benefit in kind which then reduces my tax code for the year. I cant seem to figure out why I get taxed twice on this - once within my payslip and again within my tax code. Is this just the way it is or is this incorrect?

Thank you
    One day, i will be a genius.
    One day, they will perfect brain transplantation.
Page 1
    • EdSwippet
    • By EdSwippet 20th Apr 17, 11:25 AM
    • 424 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    EdSwippet
    • 20th Apr 17, 11:25 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 11:25 AM
    Although it feels -- and looks -- like it's being taxed twice over, it isn't. Well, not unless your employer's payroll department is clueless enough to double-report your benefits in kind on both a P60 and a P11D.

This brief conversation explains how it all comes together. The tl;dr version is that that your tax code is a control on how much tax your employer withholds for HMRC, but not a statement of how much tax you actually owe. The two get reconciled later, through a self-assessment return and/or tax code adjustment for next tax year.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

151Posts Today

1,254Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • As I've said before - energy price cap sounds good, and will likely be popular, but there's a big risk of making th? https://t.co/ubeV9vnmU7

• Just seen @IvoGraham doing stand up in a comedy club. Superb, witty, self depricating, clever stuff. Go see him if you get the chance

• RT @ChrissyNunn: New one from @Tesco today.. "The sale of Goods Act is just legislation, it's like a guideline, it's not law" @MartinSLewis?

• Follow Martin