Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • richardcaseley
    • By richardcaseley 18th Apr 17, 7:16 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    richardcaseley
    UKPC Parking Charge
    • 18th Apr 17, 7:16 PM
    UKPC Parking Charge 18th Apr 17 at 7:16 PM
    Hello,

I've read the Newbies Parking ticket FAQ and still have a few questions:

My car was parked near Swindon School of Gymnastics around 9pm. It was dark. There are signs up which state "no parking at all times...", but no-one was around and the car has been parked there before and have seen others park there before (the trading estate is pretty much empty at this time). The car got a ticket at 9.50pm from UKPC. A ticket on the car, saying "parked in a roadway".

As the keeper, I am, unsurprisingly, not happy with the ticket. The place was empty, so this is simply a money making tactic. However, there are signs up, not big signs, but several of them. And the car did park on the roadway (out of the way on the side). So, although the ticket is outrageous and (morally) unfair, I am not clear on what grounds I am going to clearly state the ticket is "wrong". The signage not being clear is a matter of opinion, etc.

I am nearly at the end of the "discount" period. My question is simply, can I fight this succesfully? I can follow the guidance, but at some point I am going to have to state "this is unfair because it was late, no one was around, the signs aren't very big...". Is that enough?

Thanks for any thoughts you have on the topic!
    Last edited by richardcaseley; 18-04-2017 at 10:04 PM.
Page 1
    • Redx
    • By Redx 18th Apr 17, 7:22 PM
    • 13,648 Posts
    • 16,754 Thanks
    Redx
    • 18th Apr 17, 7:22 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 7:22 PM
    edit the above to remove the drivers details

simply say what the DRIVER or KEEPER have done , nothing more

this is a game with no certainty on the outcome

there is a post in the NEWBIES thread that deals with POPLA appeals, those should be studied as they give you the grounds for appeal , including signage etc

and post #1 gives you the BPA template in blue text for the initial appeal to UKPC too

so its all in that thread you have read , with examples

bear in mind it is their task to prove their case , so you make them do so, or throw in the towel
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • fisherjim
    • By fisherjim 18th Apr 17, 7:25 PM
    • 1,994 Posts
    • 2,857 Thanks
    fisherjim
    • 18th Apr 17, 7:25 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 7:25 PM
    Hello,

I've read the Newbies Parking ticket FAQ and still have a few questions:

I parked near Swindon School of Gymnastics around 9pm. It was dark. There are signs up which state "no parking at all times...", but no-one was around and I've parked there before and have seen others park there before (the trading estate is pretty much empty at this time). I got a ticket at 9.50pm from UKPC. A ticket on the car, saying "parked in a roadway".

I am, unsurprisingly, not happy with the ticket. The place was empty, so this is simply a money making tactic. However, there are signs up, not big signs, but several of them. And I did park on the roadway (out of the way on the side). So, although the ticket is outrageous and (morally) unfair, I am not clear on what grounds I am going to clearly state the ticket is "wrong". The signage not being clear is a matter of opinion, etc.

I am nearly at the end of the "discount" period. My question is simply, can I fight this succesfully? I can follow the guidance, but at some point I am going to have to state "this is unfair because it was late, no one was around, the signs aren't very big...". Is that enough?

Thanks for any thoughts you have on the topic!
    Originally posted by richardcaseley
    Yes you can fight this as per the newbies thread, but the excuses in bold will be laughed at as irrelevant.
    To quote the words of the great Count Arthur Strong "You Couldn't make it up"
    • Blibble
    • By Blibble 18th Apr 17, 7:28 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    Blibble
    • 18th Apr 17, 7:28 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 7:28 PM
    Send the BPA template in Newbies thread which will most likely result in a POPLA appeal code.

Your POPLA appeal would likely revolve around the fact that the signs are forbidding and cannot form a contract with the driver, therefore how are you able to accept or reject terms of any parking contract?

The BPA template will deal with a lot of the issues regarding insufficient signage etc. Send that for the time being, uneditted, and come back if needing assistance with POPLA appeal.

Note; the PPC couldn't give a rat's backside if you believe the ticket is "outrageous and morally unfair". You'll have to quit that sort of thinking pretty sharpish I'm afraid.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 18th Apr 17, 7:33 PM
    • 12,159 Posts
    • 18,557 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 18th Apr 17, 7:33 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 7:33 PM
    There are signs up which state "no parking at all times..."
    Not sure what's not clear about 'no parking at all times'. Parking where it's not permitted feeds landowners' haste to employ parking companies and why so many people roll up here every day asking us to get them off their ticket.

Turning to your question.

My question is simply, can I fight this succesfully?
    The answer is 'Yes'. Please start by reading the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #1 only at this stage. It's not a 'quick fix' read, but needs to be digested slowly to understand that there isn't an easy way out, but there is definitely a way out.

I can follow the guidance, but at some point I am going to have to state "this is unfair because it was late, no one was around, the signs aren't very big...". Is that enough?
    'Late'? - 'At all times' seems to cover 'late'.
    'No one was around' - Unfortunately the parking attendant was.
    'The signs weren't very big' - You're making a start on getting there. But there will need to be so, so much more.

Read the NEWBIES sticky to learn the process you now need to commence, including how you have to dismantle the entire case the PPC will level against you.
    Last edited by Umkomaas; 18-04-2017 at 7:43 PM.
    NEWBIES - wise up - DO NOT IGNORE A PARKING CHARGE NOTICE - you have been warned!

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Please note: I am NOT involved in any 'paid for' appeals service.
    • richardcaseley
    • By richardcaseley 18th Apr 17, 10:07 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    richardcaseley
    • 18th Apr 17, 10:07 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 10:07 PM
    Thanks for the replies. You've highlighted my concern, that my case is weak. I'll re-read the thread and see what can be done.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 18th Apr 17, 11:20 PM
    • 12,159 Posts
    • 18,557 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 18th Apr 17, 11:20 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 11:20 PM
    my case is wea
    With the right application and research, very few cases are weak. If you think yours is weak, I'd be taking comfort that the PPC's is likely even weaker - but you've got to call them out.
    NEWBIES - wise up - DO NOT IGNORE A PARKING CHARGE NOTICE - you have been warned!

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Please note: I am NOT involved in any 'paid for' appeals service.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,725Posts Today

8,652Users online

Martin's Twitter