Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kellyallen
    • By Kellyallen 18th Apr 17, 6:46 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Kellyallen
    Gas leak - help!
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:46 PM
    Gas leak - help! 18th Apr 17 at 6:46 PM
    Hope I'm posting this in the right place!

I'm home visiting my family after 3 months out of the country.

My mom told me that she's been paying an estimated gas and electric bill for a year and has had a call to say the estimate was wrong and she now owes over £1000. My moms house is the coldest I know so she is definitely not being excessive with the heating and is very conscious of turning lights off etc.

I've opened the cupboard under the stairs to get something out and it absolutely STINKS of gas!! We now suspect a leak, which would explain the big bill.

The house is privately rented. The landlord is appalling at sorting out any problems. The house was a state when she moved in and is falling apart. She's been living with no hot water (other than in the electric shower) for about 18 months, when they first moved in they had no oven for 6 weeks. The landlords botch everything. But my mom is of the opinion that she leaves them alone, they leave her alone. She pays for all repairs etc out of her own pocket. She's worried to ever kick up a fuss about anything incase they 'kick her out' of the house. Which is why she's gone so long without hot water.

However, now this is serious!! A gas safety inspection hasn't been carried out during the just over 2 years she's lived there and she's never been given a gas safety certificate.

This needs sorting urgently but we don't know the best way to go about it.

We want-

-the potential gas leak fixed

-the hot water fixed

-money towards the huge bill if it turns out to be a gas leak.

Any advice on who to go to first? Environmental health? Ask the landlord to give us a copy of the most recent gas safety inspection certifate? Call a gas company to come and check out the potential leak which will then leave us with a cost which (based on experience) we won't be reimbursed for?

Need to sort this out immediately but don't know what to do first!

Please please help. Thank you in advance!

Kelly
Page 2
    • Lovem
    • By Lovem 18th Apr 17, 11:21 PM
    • 203 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    Lovem
    Forget the landlord just call the emergency number! This is not something to mess around with. It can and will kill from either an explosion or carbon monoxide poisoning.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 19th Apr 17, 2:46 AM
    • 2,588 Posts
    • 3,985 Thanks
    another casualty
    Take everyone's advice here! Also, make sure the dogs are out of the way when the landlord comes. You have broken the rules there.
    Sounds like the smell of gas, may over power the smell of dogs which you know are clearly not allowed.
    • melstar11
    • By melstar11 19th Apr 17, 2:59 AM
    • 249 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    melstar11
    Pretty sure the OP stated they have permission for the dogs, but having them limits their options when it comes to rental properties.
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 19th Apr 17, 6:03 AM
    • 15,502 Posts
    • 38,858 Thanks
    FBaby
    Issue is we're dealing with obviously shady landlords here...
    I think you need to butt out and let your adult parents deal with things like adult.

You have no evidence that the landlord is shady. They do come and do repairs, they just don't rush to do so and they don't because your mum is not bothered to do so.

They have failed by not doing a gas inspection but then are you absolutely sure they haven't? It might have been done when someone came before and the certificate was given then but your mum didn't notice.

Your mum paying for repairs might be part of a deal she made with the landlord by which she pays lower rent to market value but she pays for small repairs/checks. You don't know.

The fact that your mum is not wanting to rock the boat does indicate though that somehow she thinks she is getting a good deal with this property.

It is obvious that the first step to take when gas is smelt is to call the board and then the landlord.
    • JamesR22
    • By JamesR22 19th Apr 17, 8:25 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    JamesR22
    Any self respecting Gas Engineer would tell you to call the emergency number in the first instance. He is assuming the gas leak is on the property-side of the control valve and that you are able to isolate it yourself. If it's not, then turning it off won't make a difference, the leak will remain.

Either way, phoning the emergency number will ensure an engineer comes out within the hour, to identify the leak with the proper equipment, and to make the property safe, no matter what. Surely this is the highest priority, the safety of the occupants.
    • JamesR22
    • By JamesR22 19th Apr 17, 8:33 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    JamesR22
    Just as a follow-up thought. If the smell is only in the cupboard, chances are its a leak on or around the meter. If it's the meter or pipework to it, your Gas Expert won't be able to do anything about, whereas the engineer sent by calling the emergency number will be able to change the meter there and then. FOC.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,764Posts Today

6,216Users online

Martin's Twitter