Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RCRC
    • By RCRC 18th Apr 17, 6:22 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    RCRC
    Just discovered I had payment protection wrongly added in 2003
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:22 PM
    Just discovered I had payment protection wrongly added in 2003 18th Apr 17 at 6:22 PM
    Hi,

I cleared out the garage at the weekend and I discovered a load of paperwork from a couple of house moves ago in an old ring binder.

The file dates from 2003 and I had the paperwork stored as I was self-employed at the time.

The paperwork in quesion is personal, not a business account.

I have 2 credit cards (lloyds tsb and virgin) andone storecard (Debenhams) with statements from each listing ppi as an added charge.

Now, I know for a fact that I did not request, nor approve this as being self employed I would not benefit. I have evidence of self-employment (SC60) in that period.

I was young and daft then so must have missed the ppi on the statements.

My question is that as this is an old claim do I have any chance or have I missed the boat? To my knowledge I have never been contacted by these companies about a possible ppi claim and I have moved house twice since and the accounts are long settled so they have my old details.

Co-incidentally I have since opened up new accounts with virgin and lloyds credit cards though under my new address.

Any info gratefully received.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 18th Apr 17, 6:56 PM
    • 12,741 Posts
    • 12,973 Thanks
    zx81
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:56 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:56 PM
    The self employed weren't routinely excluded from claiming. Did your policy specify that?
    • RCRC
    • By RCRC 18th Apr 17, 7:06 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RCRC
    • 18th Apr 17, 7:06 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 7:06 PM
    My question is if it's too late to make a complaint. The ins and outs of my policy can be reviewed and checked providing its not too late.
    • vanilla twist
    • By vanilla twist 18th Apr 17, 7:39 PM
    • 3,897 Posts
    • 58,008 Thanks
    vanilla twist
    • 18th Apr 17, 7:39 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 7:39 PM
    I was talking to Santander ppi in Newcastle today about a credit card and with the correct address he found my GE Capital store cards from years ago. So I would say when it comes to your Debenhams card just give them a ring.
    I had trouble with the phone numbers constantly telling me to ring a different one but 0800 1712171 worked in the end after a variation of options.
    If you have statement showing ppi added then you have a starting point.

V x
    . I do think a chaise lounge is a good description of you though. Stylish yet comfortable and laid back
    Originally posted by fairclaire
    May the odds be ever in your favour

SPC 7 Pot No 410 £232.63 Total
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 18th Apr 17, 9:43 PM
    • 4,179 Posts
    • 2,327 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 18th Apr 17, 9:43 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 9:43 PM
    My question is if it's too late to make a complaint. The ins and outs of my policy can be reviewed and checked providing its not too late.
    Originally posted by RCRC
    It is not too late assuming they haven't applied a time bar or something by writing to you earlier.

As above you need to establish reasons for a complaint. Being self-employed is not, contrary to CMC lies, a miss-sale reason unless the policy was considered too onerous (the FOS has provided details of this in rulings so will know which cards it applies to). Quoting something like this could simply lead to rejection if the PPI did cover the self-employed in a suitable manner.

You also don't "know for a fact" you didn't request this. Again contract to CMC lies, PPI was not added without consent of the card holder, for one thing it was listed on every statement so everyone would notice that. Some online applications did have an opt-out option which is considered a miss-sale but again only applies if your cards were in this batch. Generally with cards it was either applied for with the card (a tick box opt-in) or through a later phone sale so essentially you just forgot.

Concentrate on facts, see if their policy would cover the self-employed or if it was considered unsuitable then consider a complaint
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,185Posts Today

9,237Users online

Martin's Twitter