Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • first78
    • By first78 18th Apr 17, 6:15 PM
    • 772Posts
    • 375Thanks
    first78
    Tax credits. Grounds to complain?
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:15 PM
    Tax credits. Grounds to complain? 18th Apr 17 at 6:15 PM
    I have recently submitted my first application to claim tax credits for my two kids aged 2 & 3. On the initial form I provided details of both mine and mum wife's income (both work full time). Several weeks later I received notification that the compliance team were looking into my application; as a result I was required to send my wife's and my wage slips...I complied with this and all other documents they requested were sent.

I then received a letter notifying me of the award I would get...this letter was at the end of March. I've just read through the details in the letter and noticed that they have stated my wife's income is 0 instead of £25000!!!! This will clearly mean they have paid me a grossly wrong amount...do I have grounds to complain?
Page 1
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 18th Apr 17, 6:20 PM
    • 834 Posts
    • 1,755 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:20 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:20 PM
    First let them know of their error to minimise any overpayment. In future read the letter as soon as you receive it.

What are you looking to achieve by complaining? It's an input error, unfortunately they happen at times.
    • first78
    • By first78 18th Apr 17, 6:29 PM
    • 772 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    first78
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:29 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:29 PM
    I have called them today and they didn't seem concerned...just told me I will have to put the info in a renewal pack which I should get before the end of June?!

I want to know how they have managed to make such a big mistake when not only did I include the information about my wife's salary on the initial application but they have also seen her wage slips that they requested I send them. It's not like they typed the wrong amount of her salary...they failed to type in any salary at all! Any overpayment is surely then their fault, so at the very least I would expect an apology and for them to review their processes to prevent this mistake reoccurring.
    • nannytone
    • By nannytone 18th Apr 17, 6:35 PM
    • 12,021 Posts
    • 17,746 Thanks
    nannytone
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:35 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:35 PM
    you are required to check the award letter and notify tax credits if any of the information is wrong.

the fact is that you didn't bother to check it at the time and waited 3 weeks.

it is an error, but the people dealing with tax credits are human ( contrary to popular belief ) and these things happen.

YOUR error, was to neglect checking that all the information was correct.

at this time of the year, they don't make changes to awards, but wait for the renewal packs to be returned.

i would suggest that you don't spend any future payments you receive until the award year is finalised
    • first78
    • By first78 18th Apr 17, 6:38 PM
    • 772 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    first78
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:38 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:38 PM
    Thankfully I haven't spent any of the money. Don't think much of their compliance team!
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 18th Apr 17, 6:42 PM
    • 834 Posts
    • 1,755 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:42 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:42 PM
    I have called them today and they didn't seem concerned...just told me I will have to put the info in a renewal pack which I should get before the end of June?!

I want to know how they have managed to make such a big mistake when not only did I include the information about my wife's salary on the initial application but they have also seen her wage slips that they requested I send them. It's not like they typed the wrong amount of her salary...they failed to type in any salary at all! Any overpayment is surely then their fault, so at the very least I would expect an apology and for them to review their processes to prevent this mistake reoccurring.
    Originally posted by first78
    As long as humans input data there will be some errors. None of us are perfect, as evidenced by your failure to check the award letter.

Put the payments aside until they have established the correct amount, then you don't need to worry about repayment. If you want to be sure they've noted the error, pop a quick letter in the post.
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 18th Apr 17, 7:49 PM
    • 4,271 Posts
    • 2,720 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 18th Apr 17, 7:49 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 7:49 PM
    They cannot make changes to 2016/17, you need to wait for the annual review for that however you can make changes to be current year (2017/18) so you should ensure they have updated the income correctly for this tax year.

As said by others, humans are inputting the data. Sadly us humans make mistakes. You could complain but it won't really change anything as long as the error is corrected. A review of the process isn't going to do much good for a mistake. I'd understand complaining if you are giving wrong advice or were spoken to inappropriately but I don't see much point in making a fuss about a mistake.
    • Charityworker
    • By Charityworker 18th Apr 17, 10:00 PM
    • 946 Posts
    • 689 Thanks
    Charityworker
    • 18th Apr 17, 10:00 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 10:00 PM
    Put your tax credit payments in a separate bank account or in a piggy bank then if they want them back you'll have it. If they don't you can go on a spending spree.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

662Posts Today

5,074Users online

Martin's Twitter