Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pobby
    • By Pobby 18th Apr 17, 6:00 PM
    • 5,141Posts
    • 11,245Thanks
    Pobby
    Laptop suddenly slow
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:00 PM
    Laptop suddenly slow 18th Apr 17 at 6:00 PM
    I liked my laptop, until this afternoon. Suddenly it went very slow to respond, open programs and load web pages. Looked at system restore, no restore points. Now usually when win 10 plays up I reset it. Not so today. It starts to reset and then stops. No message, the reset screen just disappears. Any thoughts please?
Page 1
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 18th Apr 17, 7:57 PM
    • 1,442 Posts
    • 862 Thanks
    DavidP24
    • 18th Apr 17, 7:57 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 7:57 PM
    I liked my laptop, until this afternoon. Suddenly it went very slow to respond, open programs and load web pages. Looked at system restore, no restore points. Now usually when win 10 plays up I reset it. Not so today. It starts to reset and then stops. No message, the reset screen just disappears. Any thoughts please?
    Originally posted by Pobby
    It sounds like it is trying to do an update in background and that may be making it slower.

You could look at the post below and go through the suggestions there to check for malware etc

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5572567#8

Pressing F8 while it is starting and choosing safe mode will may also allow you to run things without loading drivers etc.
    Last edited by DavidP24; 20-04-2017 at 2:09 PM.
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
    • Pobby
    • By Pobby 19th Apr 17, 1:27 PM
    • 5,141 Posts
    • 11,245 Thanks
    Pobby
    • 19th Apr 17, 1:27 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 1:27 PM
    Had a good look for malware and nothing. My version of win 10 is the free upgrade. Now I could do a clean install via a pen drive but I am worried if MS might ask for a product key, which of course, was not the case with the original down loaded up date.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 19th Apr 17, 1:57 PM
    • 2,204 Posts
    • 1,409 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 19th Apr 17, 1:57 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 1:57 PM
    Hi, what does task manager say is going on ?

Right click on the taskbar, choose task manager, click in the heading of the CPU column
    This will order them in the highest CPU usage first, tell us what it is, and how much CPU it is using ..
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 19th Apr 17, 2:02 PM
    • 3,001 Posts
    • 1,334 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 19th Apr 17, 2:02 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 2:02 PM
    It'll be the pre-Creator's patches (possibly); what version are you running (type winver in Cortana); I'll list the patches in a sec...(Windows Update is unreliable).
    EDIT: check you have these patches
    http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=KB4015217
    http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=KB4016635
    Last edited by grumpycrab; 19-04-2017 at 2:15 PM.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature because somebody complained that the information contained within it was too helpful.
    • Pobby
    • By Pobby 19th Apr 17, 8:02 PM
    • 5,141 Posts
    • 11,245 Thanks
    Pobby
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:02 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:02 PM
    Thanks guys. Version is 1607.
    • Pobby
    • By Pobby 19th Apr 17, 8:13 PM
    • 5,141 Posts
    • 11,245 Thanks
    Pobby
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:13 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:13 PM
    Just checked the cpu. There`s trouble! Running at 98 to 99%. Mainly split between services and services interrupt.
    • danthemoneysavingman
    • By danthemoneysavingman 20th Apr 17, 11:06 AM
    • 1,214 Posts
    • 513 Thanks
    danthemoneysavingman
    • 20th Apr 17, 11:06 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 11:06 AM
    What process(es) are using the CPU the most?
    (Click on the CPU column in task manager to put them at the top)

Then if the problem still persists I'm sure there'll be advice available.

Or try following the sticky about speeding up your PC (by user "closed"), may help.
    • Pobby
    • By Pobby 20th Apr 17, 11:44 AM
    • 5,141 Posts
    • 11,245 Thanks
    Pobby
    • 20th Apr 17, 11:44 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 11:44 AM
    Insanely , system is using nearly 60% and system interrupts around 20%.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 20th Apr 17, 12:26 PM
    • 3,001 Posts
    • 1,334 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    Sounds like you haven't made any progress since the 18th. Very difficult debugging via text....
    1. is it doing a Windows Update (type Windows Update in Cortana)
    2. how much memory do you have;
    3. do you have plenty of disk space and is the disk condition ok?
    4. repeating dan - what's using the CPU - a screen pic may help.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature because somebody complained that the information contained within it was too helpful.
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 20th Apr 17, 2:22 PM
    • 1,442 Posts
    • 862 Thanks
    DavidP24
    Insanely , system is using nearly 60% and system interrupts around 20%.
    Originally posted by Pobby
    In my experience one of the things that seems to slow does systems (when nothing obvious) seems to be multiple apps pinging or downloading updates.

On a broadband connection it is asymmetric and when the upload side is flooded the download and PC performance can be affected.

So how can downloading an update cause this?

Well because Microsoft and others use Akamai which is a bit like BitTorrent, it uses your PC as a staging post to serve other users while it is downloading.

To resolve the issues with non essential updates I disable them, to me Google Chrome, Flash, Skype, Firefox, all need their UPDATES to be disabled.

Disabling these updates from Services can be done in ccleaner which is a free download, for some you will need to also disable some tasks in the task scheduler. Google Chrome has two in there.

Now for windows itself the best thing I can suggest is that you do the update yourself, start it from the start menu, I suspect it is downloading the Creative edition in background and serving it to other users. So go to Windows Updates, tell it to go find updates, if it is half way through an update, leave it on that screen and reboot when it wants to, then go back to that updates screen.

When done it may say Creative Edition is coming, if so there will be a link to say get it now, that will download a small exe file, click on that and get it updating.

Hope this helps
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
    • Pobby
    • By Pobby 20th Apr 17, 5:51 PM
    • 5,141 Posts
    • 11,245 Thanks
    Pobby
    Guys, firstly thanks for your help. The machine is so slow can`t geet into win update and doing a screen shot is an issue. Anymore help please. As stated, in task master system and system interupt is taking up around 80% of the cpu.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 20th Apr 17, 6:07 PM
    • 3,001 Posts
    • 1,334 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    Ctrl-alt-del to get to the sign on screen... then hold SHIFT key and click RESTART under the bottom-right power button...
    gets you to troubleshooting et al
    EG1 Troubleshooting -> Advanced -> Startup settings -> Safe mode etc ...just to see if it works ...in safe mode
    Last edited by grumpycrab; 20-04-2017 at 6:10 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,797Posts Today

8,204Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin