Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Haras
    • By Haras 18th Apr 17, 5:29 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Haras
    I've been refused No Claims Discount protection
    • 18th Apr 17, 5:29 PM
    I've been refused No Claims Discount protection 18th Apr 17 at 5:29 PM
    I've recently had my first car accident in 37 years of driving. My fault and the car was written off. I've had excellent service from the insurance company who have paid me the car's value (which wasn't much).

Now I make a policy of searching around for the best insurance deal each year, but as this company had been so helpful I thought I would get a quote from them on a car I'm looking at, just to see if they could match my search results.

However, when it came to protecting my no claims discount, which I always do, I received the message that I'm not eligible for protected no claims discount. I can't speak to anyone as it's one of these policies where you can't phone them after the first so many days; you just log on to make any changes.

I just wondered if anyone else had had difficulty with NCD protection following an accident?
Page 1
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 18th Apr 17, 5:31 PM
    • 4,629 Posts
    • 9,788 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    • 18th Apr 17, 5:31 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 5:31 PM
    no but its a bit concerning as I have had two accidents on my record this year (one fault,one non-fault), I hope I don't have any issues.

Is it just the one company that wont protect it, or everyone you have approached?
    Sealed pot challenge ~ 10 #017
    Declutter 2017 items in 2017 - 78/2017

• Haras
    • By Haras 18th Apr 17, 5:50 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Haras
    • 18th Apr 17, 5:50 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 5:50 PM
    Well, that's what I'm worried about! I've been on a comparison website and had plenty of quotes but now I'm concerned in case any of those policies also refuse.

I can understand that the existing company may not want to encourage further custom from me.
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 18th Apr 17, 6:33 PM
    • 20,162 Posts
    • 12,436 Thanks
    dacouch
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:33 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:33 PM
    The Insurer are treating new customers differently to existing customers, as you are obtaining new quotes as a new customer they are not allowing Protected No Claims, if you adjust your existing policy with them it should still include Protection
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 18th Apr 17, 7:09 PM
    • 9,715 Posts
    • 6,730 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 18th Apr 17, 7:09 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 7:09 PM
    Who's the insurer?
    • Auntie-Dolly
    • By Auntie-Dolly 18th Apr 17, 7:49 PM
    • 938 Posts
    • 1,150 Thanks
    Auntie-Dolly
    • 18th Apr 17, 7:49 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 7:49 PM
    What has your NCD gone down to? Some insurers wont protect less than 4 years.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 18th Apr 17, 8:00 PM
    • 32,078 Posts
    • 16,156 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 18th Apr 17, 8:00 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 8:00 PM
    What has your NCD gone down to? Some insurers wont protect less than 4 years.
    Originally posted by Auntie-Dolly
    When you have no claims protection the whole idea is that your NCD doesn't "go down" following a single claim!

(Though the OP does now have a fault claim on his record which can mean that any new insurer may not be prepared to offer the OP protected ncd. Usually you need to be free from recent claims to be eligible with new insurers when wanting to have existing protected ncd transferred)
    • Haras
    • By Haras 20th Apr 17, 8:36 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Haras
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:36 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:36 PM
    You're absolutely correct, Dacouch! I received my renewal quote from them and managed to get through on the phone to discuss it.

I was told that if I had amended my existing policy I would still have had protected NCB but as I got an entirely new quote I was refused. It's their policy to refuse to protect no claims for new customers who have made a recent claim.

They have now amended the remainder of my policy to include a new car I have just bought and I still have my protected no claims.
    Save
    • Haras
    • By Haras 20th Apr 17, 8:38 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Haras
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:38 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:38 PM
    Who's the insurer?
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    General Accident. They've been great.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 20th Apr 17, 8:39 PM
    • 4,629 Posts
    • 9,788 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    You're absolutely correct, Dacouch! I received my renewal quote from them and managed to get through on the phone to discuss it.

I was told that if I had amended my existing policy I would still have had protected NCB but as I got an entirely new quote I was refused. It's their policy to refuse to protect no claims for new customers who have made a recent claim.

They have now amended the remainder of my policy to include a new car I have just bought and I still have my protected no claims.
    Save
    Originally posted by Haras
    Thanks for updating did they mention how long you had to have a clean NCB for, before they would accept you as a new customer?

It seems like I might have to stick with my current insurer for the next year, shame I wasn't impressed how they handled my claim, I was wanting to move.
    Sealed pot challenge ~ 10 #017
    Declutter 2017 items in 2017 - 78/2017

• Haras
    • By Haras 20th Apr 17, 8:41 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Haras
    When you have no claims protection the whole idea is that your NCD doesn't "go down" following a single claim!

(Though the OP does now have a fault claim on his record which can mean that any new insurer may not be prepared to offer the OP protected ncd. Usually you need to be free from recent claims to be eligible with new insurers when wanting to have existing protected ncd transferred)
    Originally posted by Quentin
    Hmm, looks like this may be a general policy then. My insurance is up for renewal next month and this may limit my options.

When you say 'recent claims', how recent is that? A year?
    • Haras
    • By Haras 20th Apr 17, 8:49 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Haras
    Thanks for updating did they mention how long you had to have a clean NCB for, before they would accept you as a new customer?

It seems like I might have to stick with my current insurer for the next year, shame I wasn't impressed how they handled my claim, I was wanting to move.
    Originally posted by iammumtoone
    I didn't ask, iammumtoone. They would accept me as a new customer; they just wouldn't allow me to protect my no claims discount. As an existing customer there isn't a problem. I rarely stay with the same insurance company for more than a year as there's usually a cheaper quote somewhere else, but I may find that this claim causes problems if I try to change. My homework is to shop around and find out what other companies say. I'll report back!
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 20th Apr 17, 9:11 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,490 Thanks
    Pincher
    When you get an online quote, they ask, was the NCD protected?

It's a confusing question, as I had an accident in 2015, when it was protected, so it didn't go down. The two subsequent policies were not protected, with no claims either.

Obviously I declared the 2015 accident, as it was within three years, but I declared the NCD as not protected, because it hadn't been for two years. Potentially they could use it as an excuse to deny claim by saying I should have declared the NCD was protected.

Also, it sounds like they intend to disregard the 9 year NCD in applying any discount, if the NCD was protected, so what is the point of paying extra to protect the NCD at all? I tried using different NCDs, and the higher numbers seem to make no difference to the quote anyway.
    • Haras
    • By Haras 20th Apr 17, 9:59 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Haras
    Okay, the first company I investigated had this information on their website:

If you have a minimum of four years no claim discount (NCD) with no more than one claim in the past three years, then you're eligible for our protected no claim discount.

This means that your NCD will not be affected by
    • One claim made during the current period of cover, or
    • Two claims arising in the three previous years.

I think the answer is to check with individual companies as policies obviously differ.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,107Posts Today

4,357Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin