Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FunkyBadger67
    • By FunkyBadger67 18th Apr 17, 5:19 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    FunkyBadger67
    Sick note after redundancy help
    • 18th Apr 17, 5:19 PM
    Sick note after redundancy help 18th Apr 17 at 5:19 PM
    Hi folks,

I'm a new poster sorry if this has been covered before.

After working continually for the last 13 years i was recently made redundant due to my employers insolvency. I've not been coping well with it all and my doctor has issued me with a sick note. However i'm not sure what i do with said note. As i've only just been made redundant in the past week or so i havent yet made a claim for JSA so who does the note go to? Do i need to apply for some other sickness benefit or is that even worth my while since i've only been signed off for 2 weeks?

Please help out a newb folks
    Thanks
Page 1
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 18th Apr 17, 6:28 PM
    • 3,872 Posts
    • 3,940 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:28 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:28 PM
    If you're confident that you won't need to claim for longer than the 2 weeks then I tend to agree with your thoughts that it's hardly worth the bother. You won't get paid for the first week anyway if you claimed ESA.
    You can claim JSA, although I'm not sure what the situation would be with a sick note from the start date. I know longer periods of sickness are allowed with JSA before you need to claim ESA but not the details.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

228Posts Today

1,279Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin