Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • goodwithsaving
    • By goodwithsaving 18th Apr 17, 4:50 PM
    • 681Posts
    • 1,022Thanks
    goodwithsaving
    Which would you do?
    • 18th Apr 17, 4:50 PM
    Which would you do? 18th Apr 17 at 4:50 PM
    Permanent position - not ideal job, threat of not being able to return to field
    Fixed term position - perfect job, chance of being made permanent but risk of fixed term

Apologies for asking - I've been going round in circles.

Thank you
    Every time you borrow money, you’re robbing your future self. –Nathan W. Morris
Page 1
    • Sagz
    • By Sagz 18th Apr 17, 4:54 PM
    • 5,655 Posts
    • 8,390 Thanks
    Sagz
    • 18th Apr 17, 4:54 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 4:54 PM
    If footloose and family free, then fixed term.
    But if you need security then it might be better to go for the permanent option.

Good luck whatever you decide x
    Some days you're the dog..... most days you're the tree!
    • tea lover
    • By tea lover 18th Apr 17, 5:09 PM
    • 7,994 Posts
    • 35,716 Thanks
    tea lover
    • 18th Apr 17, 5:09 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 5:09 PM
    Fixed term. If it leads to something permanent, great. If not, it will at least be more experience and could lead to other relevant contacts.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 18th Apr 17, 5:10 PM
    • 4,079 Posts
    • 4,188 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 18th Apr 17, 5:10 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 5:10 PM
    A permanent position is no more secure than a fixed term contract until you've been there 2 years. What do you mean by 'threat of not being able to return to the field' - clause in the contract saying you can't work for somebody in the same business area for x months?
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 18th Apr 17, 5:11 PM
    • 1,296 Posts
    • 1,319 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 18th Apr 17, 5:11 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 5:11 PM
    I've been wondering the same! I think it depends on your field, how many jobs there are, how much you need a job etc.
    I have been job hunting about 2-3 months now and still no offers, so for me I've come to the conclusion that the possibility of not finding a job immediately after a fix term comes to an end is not worth it.
    If jobs are plenty in your field or you have a safety net ( savings or partners income)in case you can't find something straight away go for the job you prefer as it might lead to something better in the long term.
    • goodwithsaving
    • By goodwithsaving 18th Apr 17, 5:35 PM
    • 681 Posts
    • 1,022 Thanks
    goodwithsaving
    • 18th Apr 17, 5:35 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 5:35 PM
    No, it's a very fast moving sector. Once you leave, it is hard to return.

I have a mortgage and could rent my house out, but I would rather sell and buy elsewhere in the country, where the two jobs are. The problem with the fixed term is that I can't get a new mortgage with a fixed term contract, and as I'd want to sell and start to build a life elsewhere that worries me. I don't have dependents though so am fortunate in that respect! I have savings but am single.

I knew this forum would be helpful. It always is.

I'll await your further useful thoughts and tips!
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 18th Apr 17, 5:44 PM
    • 5,222 Posts
    • 10,845 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    • 18th Apr 17, 5:44 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 5:44 PM
    fixed term and rent, also gives you chance of living in your new chosen area before you buy.

If you dont get taken on after fixed term you still have two areas to look for work, your current one where you will still have a house and new area where you can look for permanent job and make the decision to buy.
    Sealed pot challenge ~ 11 #017 - Open 1st Nov

• clairec79
    • By clairec79 18th Apr 17, 6:37 PM
    • 2,271 Posts
    • 6,153 Thanks
    clairec79
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:37 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:37 PM
    Depends on how long fixed term is - if it was only a few months I probably wouldn't - if it's a year or sos contract I'd go for that
    • goodwithsaving
    • By goodwithsaving 18th Apr 17, 10:51 PM
    • 681 Posts
    • 1,022 Thanks
    goodwithsaving
    • 18th Apr 17, 10:51 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 10:51 PM
    Thank you all for your input. I'm sorry to ask such a silly question but you've given me plenty to consider x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

734Posts Today

6,395Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin