Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PKPK
    • By PKPK 18th Apr 17, 4:48 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 1Thanks
    PKPK
    Don't be scammed like me
    • 18th Apr 17, 4:48 PM
    Don't be scammed like me 18th Apr 17 at 4:48 PM
    I want to let you know that I was scammed by Mac Studios
    (Text removed by MSE Forum Team). I paid them £1,975.00 for modelling photo shoot for my 14-year-old daughter. They promised that the portfolio will lead to various modelling jobs. And the Z card with her stats details should have sufficient information for agencies to contact us. They liaise with Six models who are supposed to refer potential models to agencies but all they do is give links to agencies for you to contact yourself. I fill cheated as talking to another child modelling agency (Bizzykidz) informed me that kids do not require hair and makeup for their photo shoots and each agency will take their own images, which means further costs. I ended up paying Bizzykidz £190.00 and we are still waiting for jobs from Bizzykidz. Should I contact Ombudsman or BBC Watchdog as vulnerable parents like me are being scammed.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; 19-04-2017 at 9:48 AM. Reason: Personal details
Page 1
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 18th Apr 17, 6:43 PM
    • 2,582 Posts
    • 4,132 Thanks
    avogadro
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:43 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:43 PM
    I have no knowledge of the industry, but they do seem to be upfront about their fees on their website

http://www.macfashionphotography.com/products-and-services/

For Bizzykidz it looks like you upload your own images

https://www.bizzykidz.com/application

Modelling work can never be guaranteed and it's crazy to pay c.£2000 on the off chance! Hopefully somebody will be along soon who has experience of working in the industry and will be able to advise.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; 19-04-2017 at 9:49 AM. Reason: Quoting edited post
    • elsien
    • By elsien 18th Apr 17, 6:45 PM
    • 14,548 Posts
    • 36,043 Thanks
    elsien
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:45 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:45 PM
    It's not nice to be scammed, but what makes you think you are particularly vulnerable?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Pop Up Pirate
    • By Pop Up Pirate 19th Apr 17, 8:14 AM
    • 770 Posts
    • 1,795 Thanks
    Pop Up Pirate
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:14 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:14 AM
    No.
    Chalk it up to experience and move on.
    If you think your child will like the model scene (lots of travelling, waiting around being bored, away from home and friends) then join apply to a reputable agency. If they take you on, you won't have to pay.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; 19-04-2017 at 9:49 AM. Reason: Quoting edited post
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 19th Apr 17, 8:20 AM
    • 16,978 Posts
    • 41,255 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:20 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:20 AM
    Do MAC 'promise' anywhere on their website that the portfolio will definitely lead to modelling jobs?

Are you complaining about Bizzykids as well as MAC?
    • donnac2558
    • By donnac2558 19th Apr 17, 9:12 AM
    • 2,220 Posts
    • 1,838 Thanks
    donnac2558
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:12 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:12 AM
    At 14 your daughter would not be consider a kid in modelling terms. They walk the cat walks at that age.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; 19-04-2017 at 9:54 AM. Reason: Thread moved
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 19th Apr 17, 10:07 AM
    • 1,431 Posts
    • 1,958 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:07 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:07 AM
    It's not nice to be scammed, but what makes you think you are particularly vulnerable?
    Originally posted by elsien
    Well they did pay a modelling agency £2000 for nothing so yeah, I'd say they were vulnerable.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 19th Apr 17, 10:08 AM
    • 1,431 Posts
    • 1,958 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:08 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:08 AM
    Do MAC 'promise' anywhere on their website that the portfolio will definitely lead to modelling jobs?
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    I'm willing to bet a £1000 to a penny they don't. They make a living out of fleecing idiots; they know how to stay on the right side of the law.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 19th Apr 17, 10:42 AM
    • 16,978 Posts
    • 41,255 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:42 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:42 AM
    Well they did pay a modelling agency £2000 for nothing so yeah, I'd say they were vulnerable.
    Originally posted by ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    This ^^^^ seems to contradict your description below:
    I'm willing to bet a £1000 to a penny they don't. They make a living out of fleecing idiots; they know how to stay on the right side of the law.
    I know which word I'd use.

Re MAC's website - I doubt very much that it promises that either.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 19th Apr 17, 11:01 AM
    • 1,431 Posts
    • 1,958 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    This ^^^^ seems to contradict your description below:

I know which word I'd use.

Re MAC's website - I doubt very much that it promises that either.
    Idiots are vulnerable people though, surely. Where's the contradiction? It's not their fault they are stupid enough to fall for obvious scams; they need protecting.
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 19th Apr 17, 12:03 PM
    • 14,901 Posts
    • 20,204 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    I want to let you know that I was scammed by Mac Studios
    (Text removed by MSE Forum Team). I paid them £1,975.00 for modelling photo shoot for my 14-year-old daughter. They promised that the portfolio will lead to various modelling jobs. And the Z card with her stats details should have sufficient information for agencies to contact us. They liaise with Six models who are supposed to refer potential models to agencies but all they do is give links to agencies for you to contact yourself. I fill cheated as talking to another child modelling agency (Bizzykidz) informed me that kids do not require hair and makeup for their photo shoots and each agency will take their own images, which means further costs. I ended up paying Bizzykidz £190.00 and we are still waiting for jobs from Bizzykidz. Should I contact Ombudsman or BBC Watchdog as vulnerable parents like me are being scammed.
    Originally posted by PKPK
    It is not a scam. You are paying for photos, and if you look at the wording in your contract, it will be rather vague about any jobs and agency work.

Rule ONE for modelling - NEVER pay for anything until you have earned money through modelling work.

A good modelling agency can spot talent so will happily pay for the portfolio as they know it will make them money. They then take a cut of any money earned from mobs.

This info can be found out very easily. You just need to do some research and read contracts carefully before signing up to anything.

My cousin (age 13) models and has an agent who does not charge her, and takes an agreed cut of her money as per her contract.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 19th Apr 17, 12:36 PM
    • 16,978 Posts
    • 41,255 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Idiots are vulnerable people though, surely. Where's the contradiction? It's not their fault they are stupid enough to fall for obvious scams; they need protecting.
    We clearly have a different options about vulnerable people and those you refer to as idiots.

I disagree that idiots need protecting
    They need to wise up.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 19th Apr 17, 1:01 PM
    • 1,431 Posts
    • 1,958 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    We clearly have a different options about vulnerable people and those you refer to as idiots.

I disagree that idiots need protecting
    They need to wise up.
    The people I refer to as idiots are idiots. Stupid people who were born with below average intelligence. That's not a thing you can do anything about. Society needs to make sure they are not taken advantage of.
    • nomoneytoday
    • By nomoneytoday 19th Apr 17, 3:18 PM
    • 4,679 Posts
    • 2,820 Thanks
    nomoneytoday
    I too was offered the "opportunity" to pay some money and add my daughter onto the books of an agency.

My response was, "if the agency are that sure she will get work, they can pay for the photo shoot, and take the money from any future proceeds they come up with". For some reason they didn't agree...
    • Hoof Hearted
    • By Hoof Hearted 19th Apr 17, 5:17 PM
    • 1,910 Posts
    • 1,653 Thanks
    Hoof Hearted
    Tell your daughter to concentrate on her education. I can't understand why parents want their children to be clothes horses. BTW this "scam" has been around for years.
    Je suis sabot...
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 19th Apr 17, 6:00 PM
    • 4,001 Posts
    • 10,384 Thanks
    Hermia
    A good modelling agency can spot talent so will happily pay for the portfolio as they know it will make them money. They then take a cut of any money earned from mobs.
    Originally posted by pinkshoes
    I used to be an office dogsbody on a mag and I don't think any of the models we used paid to be models. In fact I think the agencies used to prefer to just see a snapshot of the girl with no make-up on (the girls certainly all came to see us looking very natural). They want to see that the girl is naturally pretty and has an adaptable look. If you look at the Elite Models site they specifically ask for a normal photo with no make-up.
    • Agricolae
    • By Agricolae 20th Apr 17, 1:00 AM
    • 362 Posts
    • 189 Thanks
    Agricolae
    This is a very old and common scam (I'm using the word in a loose sense here) which preys on parents' pride in their children. Of course parents think their children are beautiful, of course they're flattered when some rogue little "agency" tells them so and that they could get into modelling.

And then they part with hundreds or thousands of pounds for a service which, in reality, is worth a fraction of that.

I feel bad for the OP, but they've been properly done.
    • harrys dad
    • By harrys dad 20th Apr 17, 8:34 AM
    • 1,773 Posts
    • 1,979 Thanks
    harrys dad
    Their website offers "New Models Premium Package" for £1975, with a clear list of what you get for that payment. It seems really clear to me, and they make no promises at all. They are photographers not a model agency.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 20th Apr 17, 9:34 AM
    • 16,978 Posts
    • 41,255 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Unless MAC 'collared' the OP in a shopping centre with a 'promise' of definite modelling work if she took her daughter along to a paid photography shoot and that her daughter would have no chance with any modelling agency without a professional portfolio (which the OP claims another modelling agency has told her is not true), then the OP must have willingly gone along to the studio.

The OP refers to the company as MAC Studios but the website name is MacFashionPhotography which seems pretty clear that it is a company that takes photographs.

From the website:
    Mac Fashion Photography is happy to collaborate with the following modelling platforms and have had models signed using our portfolios to the agencies listed below:
    No promise there ^^^^

Also from their website:
    http://www.macfashionphotography.com/products-and-services/
    Model Portfolio

To a model, a portfolio can be paramount to success. Mac Fashion Photography understand the importance of portfolios and so we look to employ only the best creative team and consultants for shooting and then selecting images that show you in the best light. Our team has worked alongside agencies for years and so we know what is sought after in a portfolio. A diverse range of images that are in a number of settings and have you in different outfits and even different styles can make you a whole lot more desirable. A model that is adaptable to changing looks has a lot more chance of finding themselves filling the void in a casting directorís vision, Mac Fashion is here to make sure that is you.
    I can't see anything there that claims that a MacFashionPhotography portfolio would lead to various modelling jobs either.

Also from their website:
    http://www.macfashionphotography.com/contact-us/
    Mac Fashion do not only work with those at the very top though, we also assist numerous aspiring models to build that all important, professionally presented set of images that makes up a modelís portfolio. For anyone that is wanting to make a name for themselves in the modelling industry, being in London and shooting in one if its top studios can put you at an advantage. Our clients always go away with a diverse range of images and for those that are raw to this industry, you are able to take with you fresh skills and techniques to your next job. If youíre an aspiring model looking to create a striking portfolio or a company looking for a crack team of professionals to organise a shoot for a product launch, then we at Mac Fashion photography are on hand to help you achieve that with the highest level of quality.
    Nothing in there about promising that the portfolio would lead to modelling jobs either.

Perhaps the OP could come back and explain how she came to choose this company and exactly who within the company promised these modelling jobs.

I think she's misunderstood the business she paid almost £2K to.
    • macman
    • By macman 20th Apr 17, 11:20 AM
    • 40,765 Posts
    • 16,599 Thanks
    macman
    OP failed to do the most basic research. 10 seconds on Google produces this: enough to put most people off.
    As mentioned by others, they take great care NOT to describe themselves as an agency.
    https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=macfashion%2Bscam
    Last edited by macman; 20-04-2017 at 11:23 AM.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,337Posts Today

4,740Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Who do you think came out best in the Corbyn v May battle tonight?

• Clever by Paxman; subtly testing out "strong & stable" by focusing on u-turns on Brexit view, social care, self employed tax & election date

• Ps sadly i got in too late to have seen Corbyn, hence why no comment on his performance

• Follow Martin