Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dongagon
    • By dongagon 18th Apr 17, 4:06 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 1Thanks
    dongagon
    For Sale Board....Still relevant?
    • 18th Apr 17, 4:06 PM
    For Sale Board....Still relevant? 18th Apr 17 at 4:06 PM
    Just trying to gauge opinions on whether you think having a 'For Sale Board' when trying to sell your property is still relevant anymore. Most people i know (me included) conduct their search for properties on Rightmove or Zoopla....
    We have recently put our house on the market and are pondering the merits of having a sign...
Page 2
    • JP1978
    • By JP1978 18th Apr 17, 9:39 PM
    • 222 Posts
    • 182 Thanks
    JP1978
    In a busy street, or where the house number isnt obvious from the listing on RM / Zoopla - a board can help identify the house to those driving by for a look.

Put yourselves in their position - if you drove to a scheme looking for a house for an initial opinion (of the frontage and the area) but couldnt find it - but there were others you were interested in, would you maybe think about just moving on to the next one?

FWIW, as they are generally part of the service - yes, get one up.
    • tim9966
    • By tim9966 18th Apr 17, 10:14 PM
    • 406 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    tim9966
    Yes they are still useful. In the past I've looked at houses on right move, then gone to look at the house in real life from the outside on an unofficial visit to see if the area is suitable. The for sale signs helps to find the house, especially in areas where a lot of the houses all look the same.

Plus it gets all the neighbours talking! At least 5 sets of neighbours have knocked on my door to ask when am I moving, and where am I going to since my for sale sign went up.
    Last edited by tim9966; 18-04-2017 at 10:21 PM.
    • ladymarmalade222
    • By ladymarmalade222 18th Apr 17, 10:39 PM
    • 590 Posts
    • 544 Thanks
    ladymarmalade222
    Yes they are still useful. In the past I've looked at houses on right move, then gone to look at the house in real life from the outside on an unofficial visit to see if the area is suitable. The for sale signs helps to find the house, especially in areas where a lot of the houses all look the same.

Plus it gets all the neighbours talking! At least 5 sets of neighbours have knocked on my door to ask when am I moving, and where am I going to since my for sale sign went up.
    Originally posted by tim9966
    That is the one reason I did not want a sign. So the neighbours were unaware. We just packed and went one afternoon after the last fews years of hassle from anti social idiots it felt great.

The agent was not bothered when I said I did not want a sign, he actually said more people are asking for no sign. A week later I found them outside about to put a sign up saying sold. Obviously advertising for them.

Xx
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 19th Apr 17, 7:30 AM
    • 4,623 Posts
    • 9,736 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    That is the one reason I did not want a sign. So the neighbours were unaware. We just packed and went one afternoon after the last fews years of hassle from anti social idiots it felt great.
    Originally posted by ladymarmalade222
    This is the only reason not to have a sign, if you have trouble with the neighbours better not to advertise, that way they wont realise people coming to your house are viewing, some anti social people may see this as a sight to make a fuss so no one new moves into the area.

Apart from above I can't think of why anyone would not want one. It must be a continuing trend though as you don't see half as many about now and I sure its not because people aren't moving, just deciding not to have the sign.
    Sealed pot challenge ~ 10 #017
    Declutter 2017 items in 2017 - 78/2017

• JP08
    • By JP08 19th Apr 17, 8:24 AM
    • 806 Posts
    • 855 Thanks
    JP08
    Ours sold STC tail end of last week, the "For Sale" board appeared last night. From our perspective I guess it could be a good thing (though hard on our buyer) if an offer significantly over the current one came in - in general I dislike gazumping and would be uncomfortable being complicit in it, but 15k (say) would be hard to turn down.

I expect the "Sold" overlay to be on the board when we get home tonight though.

Home made signs can work. Many moons ago we put our landlords house up for sale (sort of). We were students, !!!!ed, and found a torn off piece of cardboard with "For Sale" in scrappy red letters on it whilst staggering home ... wedged it in the hedge over the gate on the way in and thought nothing more about it. Next morning the bloke over the road knocked on our door and asked if [landlords name redacted] was selling ...
    • dk5294
    • By dk5294 19th Apr 17, 9:04 AM
    • 165 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    dk5294
    The house we chose to buy had a for sale sign and that is what drew our attention to it. I had set my filters on right move so it wouldn't pull through (I set my max bedroom at 3 as didn't think we could afford a 4 bed). I went and physically searched and low and behold it was within reach with an extra 350 to our deposit!
    • Heather2603
    • By Heather2603 19th Apr 17, 10:20 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    Heather2603
    Another FTB who used the for sale signs to case out properties. Saved us wasting the time of people by arranging a viewing and then turning up realising there was no parking/garden issues looking onto a cemetery etc
    • wantonnoodle
    • By wantonnoodle 19th Apr 17, 10:30 AM
    • 112 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    wantonnoodle
    I would say that they are useful, especially when going to view. A lot of houses around the areas we were looking in were on streets where most of the houses were largely the same. Not only that, but more often than not, the google maps/streetview pin was in the wrong place, so it helped us greatly in finding the house we were interested in when we got to the relevant street. A couple of places didn't have them, and we ended up guessing which one it was looking at tiny details on the photos on the ad while stood outside, then knocking at the door. Could have been awkward if we had got it wrong!
    • vw100
    • By vw100 19th Apr 17, 10:52 AM
    • 96 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    vw100
    Increases visibility that a house is for sale, worth having one.
    • dongagon
    • By dongagon 19th Apr 17, 11:04 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    dongagon
    Yes keeping our "cards close to our chest" is a consideration. But depending on the number of viewings that we have, we might change our minds....

[QUOTE=tim9966;72421581
    Plus it gets all the neighbours talking! At least 5 sets of neighbours have knocked on my door to ask when am I moving, and where am I going to since my for sale sign went up.[/QUOTE]
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,771Posts Today

8,222Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin