Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dongagon
    • By dongagon 18th Apr 17, 4:06 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 1Thanks
    dongagon
    For Sale Board....Still relevant?
    • 18th Apr 17, 4:06 PM
    For Sale Board....Still relevant? 18th Apr 17 at 4:06 PM
    Just trying to gauge opinions on whether you think having a 'For Sale Board' when trying to sell your property is still relevant anymore. Most people i know (me included) conduct their search for properties on Rightmove or Zoopla....
    We have recently put our house on the market and are pondering the merits of having a sign...
Page 1
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 18th Apr 17, 4:09 PM
    • 6,931 Posts
    • 8,900 Thanks
    jackieblack
    • 18th Apr 17, 4:09 PM
    Around here most houses sell by word of mouth. Most of the neighours know someone who is looking to move into the area and as soon as a For Sale board goes up the village grapevine starts.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • NicNicP
    • By NicNicP 18th Apr 17, 4:09 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    NicNicP
    We did. I agree that most people will look online but I wasn't looking to move and saw the for sale sign outside the house we went on to buy!
    • LoopyLoops
    • By LoopyLoops 18th Apr 17, 4:10 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    LoopyLoops
    • 18th Apr 17, 4:10 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 4:10 PM
    We decided to have one at ours. We live in a busy street that had a few others houses for sale when we went on the market, if for some reason we didn't get picked up on a Rightmove search. My Dad lives in a street that goes nowhere, well farm land, so you are only in it for a specific reason. So decided not to have one. Personal preference really.
    • Craign82
    • By Craign82 18th Apr 17, 4:11 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Craign82
    • 18th Apr 17, 4:11 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 4:11 PM
    I was having a similar chat with my friends the other day. I think I could sell my house with a homemade 'For Sale, enquire within' sign outside my property and completely cut out the estate agent fee.
    At the end of the day the house sells itself.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 18th Apr 17, 4:16 PM
    • 5,146 Posts
    • 4,796 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 18th Apr 17, 4:16 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 4:16 PM
    If/when I'm househunting seriously I would mostly rely on online searches, but I still often find myself looking up details after seeing a board while I've been out.

Can't do any harm, surely?
    • Victor the Gink
    • By Victor the Gink 18th Apr 17, 4:20 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    Victor the Gink
    • 18th Apr 17, 4:20 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 4:20 PM
    The board is mostly advertising the estate agent, not the house. Everyone that wants to buy a house will look online, and before that, they would look in the local newspaper etc.
    • cloo
    • By cloo 18th Apr 17, 4:21 PM
    • 855 Posts
    • 683 Thanks
    cloo
    • 18th Apr 17, 4:21 PM
    I found the first place I bought with my husband walking down the road 10 years ago and we did most of our search online then, so they do count for something
    • Victor the Gink
    • By Victor the Gink 18th Apr 17, 4:21 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    Victor the Gink
    I was having a similar chat with my friends the other day. I think I could sell my house with a homemade 'For Sale, enquire within' sign outside my property and completely cut out the estate agent fee.
    At the end of the day the house sells itself.
    Originally posted by Craign82
    Give it a try! I think you would really, really struggle.
    • Vectis
    • By Vectis 18th Apr 17, 4:25 PM
    • 407 Posts
    • 505 Thanks
    Vectis
    Why wouldn't you have a board? What do you think you would gain?
    • Makethedayscount
    • By Makethedayscount 18th Apr 17, 4:30 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    Makethedayscount
    We didn't have a board and had viewings, but it wasn't until we decided to finally have a board that a passerby told a friend and our buyer came to view. There are various reasons why you might not want a board but just think it widens the net for potential buyers. Good luck whatever you decide!
    • Niv
    • By Niv 18th Apr 17, 4:37 PM
    • 1,449 Posts
    • 1,288 Thanks
    Niv
    As others have said what harm can it do.

ALso, it makes it easier to find the house when you go for the viewing!
    YNWA

Mortgage free by 58.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 18th Apr 17, 4:40 PM
    • 4,480 Posts
    • 4,147 Thanks
    eddddy
    As above...

I search rightmove - which usually gives a road name, but no number. I would then usually do a 'drive by' before arranging a viewing.

It's much easier to find the property if it has a For Sale board.

(Obviously, I could call the EA to ask the house number, but...)
    • Miss Samantha
    • By Miss Samantha 18th Apr 17, 5:56 PM
    • 1,165 Posts
    • 1,105 Thanks
    Miss Samantha
    Are you charged extra for a board?

If not, I don't see the point of the discussion.
    • mysterymurdoch
    • By mysterymurdoch 18th Apr 17, 6:07 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    mysterymurdoch
    We didn't use one but our house was in a high demand area. I do think there's a purpose in them and I'd probably use one in future to conjour maximum interest.
    • jlaw4
    • By jlaw4 18th Apr 17, 6:29 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    jlaw4
    I'm a FTB and it was much easier finding houses with boards up. I was always looking on the street we wanted to buy in and as soon as a board was up i called.
    Although the house i am now buying was actually a relisted property that i saw on an email by chance.
    I think it helps to have a board as it generates more interest and its easier to find on viewings!
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 18th Apr 17, 6:36 PM
    • 2,204 Posts
    • 1,954 Thanks
    cjdavies
    My current house was from a for sale sign.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 18th Apr 17, 6:39 PM
    • 4,623 Posts
    • 9,743 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    why would you not want one?

Someone coming to view another property in your area might drive by yours and notice it, they could have missed it on the website (wrong price bracket etc)
    Sealed pot challenge ~ 10 #017
    Declutter 2017 items in 2017 - 78/2017

• agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 18th Apr 17, 8:59 PM
    • 17,453 Posts
    • 13,086 Thanks
    agrinnall
    The board is mostly advertising the estate agent, not the house. Everyone that wants to buy a house will look online, and before that, they would look in the local newspaper etc.
    Originally posted by Victor the Gink
    A sweeping generalisation, and I stand before you (metaphorically) as living proof of someone who sold a house purely because the buyers noticed the for sale sign.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 18th Apr 17, 9:03 PM
    • 6,295 Posts
    • 6,667 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    A few months back I replied to a very similar post saying in these days of online everything I thought they were pointless and had a host of replies from people who had either made a sale or purchase because of one (for example, might not be thinking of moving, visit friend, see a nice house nearby with for sale sign etc.) and so I've changed my mind, definitely worth having.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

145Posts Today

1,138Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin