bank account and 'setting off'

hi guys
I currently already have a Barclays basic current account that I have changed all my direct debits to and salary, however I also have a Barclaycard which is going to be included in my BR, do I need to change to another bank account?
I plan to file for BR on the 26th which is my pay day, leave in enough money to cover DD and withdraw the rest, wil this work? or can Barclaycard withdraw any money that's in my account even after BR is filed?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Organisation Representative
    Hi

Barclays can’t use their right of set off once you’ve been made bankrupt. I’m not sure if Barclays may freeze your existing account once you go bankrupt and ask you to open a new one, as suggested by Debt Camel:

https://debtcamel.co.uk/bank-accounts-after-bankruptcy/

It’s best to discuss it with Barclays first, although I’m sure other forum users can tell about their personal experiences.

James
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • joa1210
    joa1210 Posts: 73
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thank you James, I hope not! It's been a nightmare remembering everything that needs changing 😳
    Time will tell I guess, I expected to be frozen, but hope they will unfreeze it in time so I don't have to change from one basic account to another
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,302
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If the Barclays account is your 'everyday' account then even if Barclays freeze the account - they will un-freeze it when the OR tells them s/he has not interest in it. As already said - Barclays can not try and recover money against the debt once you are BR and I believe Barclay Card are a completely different set up to the actual bank anyway.

I timed my BR to be the day after all the DD's went out - I withdrew the rest of my salary in cash and put it on the forms as 'cash in hand' If they froze my account - I didn't actually notice as I didn't need to use it for a week or two. Of course it was in the days of paper applications to the court when I was BR a couple of years ago so I don't know how easy it is the pick a date with the new online version.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure