Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Veer
    • By Veer 18th Apr 17, 2:47 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Veer
    Friend crashed into the back of my car...Advice needed pls..!
    • 18th Apr 17, 2:47 PM
    Friend crashed into the back of my car...Advice needed pls..! 18th Apr 17 at 2:47 PM
    We were going for a trip to Lake District during bank holidays

Mid way through the journey at a Round about my friend who was following me crashed into the back of my Car (BMW 3 series) crushing the bumper, few dents on the back and rear axle problems(rear tyres bit wobbly at slower speed 10-40mph). His was Honda Civic and his car is damaged to a great extent making it impossible to drive.

Hence he called his insurance company for assistance in moving the vehicle (from near to motorway junction) to a safe place, when this happened his Insurance Company took my details.

My friend’s plan was to scrap the car as the repair costs might be greater than the current market value of his car.

In the meanwhile, considering the damage onto my car I was considering for not making claim against my friend as a good gesture of our friendship and just to get it repaired at a local garage at my own cost.

Since then my friend has changed his mind to Write-off rather than to scrap it. His insurance company told him that to do write-off the claim process involves estimation of extent of repair and then possible write-off / repair option at the discretion of my friend.

But since my friend is going ahead with his claim and his insurance company asked the details of my insurance company…bit worried as to
    • Should I inform my Insurance company about the incident
    • Should I go ahead with the Claim or not – how will this affect my friend
    • If I inform my insurance company or not – how this 2 scenarios will affect my “no claim” and future insurance premium for myself.
    (My suggestion to my friend was to scrap his Car and not to go ahead with write-off)

Any suggestions pls…
Page 1
    • Retrogamer
    • By Retrogamer 18th Apr 17, 2:53 PM
    • 3,713 Posts
    • 3,699 Thanks
    Retrogamer
    • 18th Apr 17, 2:53 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 2:53 PM
    As your friend has involved his insurance already and presumably gave them your name and registration there's a chance your insurance company will find out if you don't tell them as it will likely be logged on the CUE database (which all insurance companies have access to)

It would be silly not to advise your insurance company at this stage.

The moment your friend got his insurance company to help by moving his car, it will be treated as a claim.

The amount of money involved in the claim won't do much to his premium so you'd be as well claiming for your repairs / hire car as your friend will be affected the same way regardless

Some insurance companies will raise the insurance premium for a non fault claim, but not all do. As you're not at fault, it wouldn't affect your NCB
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 18th Apr 17, 2:55 PM
    • 15,109 Posts
    • 8,537 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 18th Apr 17, 2:55 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 2:55 PM
    An impact that may have been enough to crush your rear bumper and cause rear axle problems strongly suggests that there is a lot of damage to your car "behind the scenes".

There could be several thousand pounds worth of damage there easily.

As a "gesture of friendship", i'd be expecting your friend to admit liability and pass his insurance details to you so that you can have your car returned to the condition it was in before he rear ended it.
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 18th Apr 17, 2:57 PM
    • 828 Posts
    • 884 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 18th Apr 17, 2:57 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 2:57 PM
    You are obliged to inform your insurance company of the accident, but do so for information only until you know how you wish to proceed.

If your friend is making an insurance claim anyway, just get your car repaired on his insurance. You have no idea what the cost of putting your car right might be, but I suspect that from what you've described, there's a lot of damage. What's the point of you paying for that privately if it can be done on your friend's insurance?

Put the friendship aside and treat the situation as if it were an unknown third party that hit you. There's no need for it to become difficult or to test your friendship, it's just a process for you and their insurer to go through. Trying to sort things privately is more likely to test your friendship. How will you feel when you're presented with a bill for many hundreds or even thousands of pounds in repair costs? Or when your insurance company cancels your insurance because you didn't tell them?

Get it all done properly and in accordance with your insurers, then you can have a beer or cup of tea together and laugh it off once it's all dealt with. And agree that you'll follow him next time...
    • thescouselander
    • By thescouselander 18th Apr 17, 6:39 PM
    • 5,143 Posts
    • 4,631 Thanks
    thescouselander
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:39 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:39 PM
    How much are you willing to pay to fix your own car? It sounds like it's badly damaged and could be a write-off itself. Surely it's best to let the insurance take care of this one.
    • lewishardwick
    • By lewishardwick 18th Apr 17, 6:45 PM
    • 450 Posts
    • 523 Thanks
    lewishardwick
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:45 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:45 PM
    An impact hard enough affect handling? Insurance job. It is in no way worth the risk of funding it yourself.

Depending on the age of your BMW, it could easily write it off.

I was once shunted at 20mph. Bent the chassis and rippled the roof. Car was an instant write off.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 18th Apr 17, 11:57 PM
    • 907 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 18th Apr 17, 11:57 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 11:57 PM
    Your car is seriously damaged, you may be surprised at just how much and the cost.

Put in an insurance claim. I doubt your friend can afford the repair if he's considering scrapping what he runs. His insurance is already knackered by his claim and the fact he has told them of the accident so anything you add isn't going to make things any worse.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 19th Apr 17, 9:21 AM
    • 5,325 Posts
    • 4,781 Thanks
    Herzlos
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:21 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:21 AM
    If he's talking about having his insurance write it off, his premiums are going to go up anyway, so you're not going to be hurting him much by claiming for it too.
    • maxmycardagain
    • By maxmycardagain 19th Apr 17, 4:49 PM
    • 4,355 Posts
    • 3,670 Thanks
    maxmycardagain
    • 19th Apr 17, 4:49 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 4:49 PM
    report all incidents, fault/non fault claim or no claim or it can come back to bite you down the line
    Instead of picking fault, pick up a life........ you might like it
    • Veer
    • By Veer 24th Apr 17, 9:03 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Veer
    Thank you all for your response and suggestions.

My friend was prompt and he had passed on all the incident details to his Insurance company.
    His Insurance company called me directly to discuss and they provided me with a Courtesy car and processing the Claim.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

156Posts Today

1,875Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin