Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 18th Apr 17, 1:47 PM
    • 614Posts
    • 643Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    Learner driver insurance options
    • 18th Apr 17, 1:47 PM
    Learner driver insurance options 18th Apr 17 at 1:47 PM
    Hi all. I'm interested in people's views on the best way forward. My son turns 17 this summer and will be taking driving lessons. Once he has some professional tuition under his belt, I want to take him out to help him clock up experience.

We have a second car, a 2007 Yaris (sport model with the optional rear brakes ) that we'll let him drive whilst he's learning. At present, my wife and I are both insured on the Yaris but we don't need to use the Yaris ourselves and only do so to keep it ticking over whilst we await our son turning 17. I see a couple of options when it comes to his insurance:

1. Set our son up as the insured driver on the Yaris, with us added as named drivers. It would be expensive (had a quote for 750 with telematics box from MoreThan, with 3k mileage) but he'd (hopefully) accrue NCD to make future years' premiums lower.

2. Add him as a named driver to the current policy, we continue using it whilst he learns. Would cost less (have had quotes for 200-300 extra) but he wouldn't accrue NCD and my NCD as primary driver (14 years) would be at risk.

Initially I favoured the first option but he is likely to go off to university next year and would only drive the car when home, so it would seem an expensive way of accruing NCD. I'm now leaning toward taking the risk to my NCD and adding him to the policy. He could earn his own NCD in a few years when his starting premiums should be lower anyway.

Thoughts?
Page 1
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 18th Apr 17, 2:56 PM
    • 1,907 Posts
    • 1,199 Thanks
    Car 54
    • 18th Apr 17, 2:56 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 2:56 PM
    1. Whatever you decide, if son is going to be the main driver of the Yaris, then the insurer needs to be aware of this.

2. Before you decide, check how much the premiums will increase for both options when/if he passes his test.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 18th Apr 17, 2:59 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 643 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 18th Apr 17, 2:59 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 2:59 PM
    1. Whatever you decide, if son is going to be the main driver of the Yaris, then the insurer needs to be aware of this.

2. Before you decide, check how much the premiums will increase for both options when/if he passes his test.
    Originally posted by Car 54
    Thanks. Good advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

220Posts Today

3,427Users online

Martin's Twitter