Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JoeT_123
    • By JoeT_123 18th Apr 17, 1:04 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    JoeT_123
    CCJ Raised by Gladstones Solicitors
    • 18th Apr 17, 1:04 PM
    CCJ Raised by Gladstones Solicitors 18th Apr 17 at 1:04 PM
    Hi All,

I have recently received some paperwork for a CCJ that has been issued against me by Gladstones Solicitors for an unpaid parking ticket from UKPC. I have untill the 30th of April to pay in full and keep the CCJ off my record but after doing some research I feel like I am being forced in to doing this instead of risking the fight. Can anyone please advise on my next steps?

Many thanks, Joe
Page 1
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 18th Apr 17, 1:10 PM
    • 6,669 Posts
    • 5,650 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 18th Apr 17, 1:10 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 1:10 PM
    What are your get steps? Lots of reading.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&hl=en-GB&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GUEA_en-GBGB707GB707&q=CCJ+Gladstones&gws_rd=ssl#spf=1
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Loadsofchildren123
    • By Loadsofchildren123 18th Apr 17, 1:27 PM
    • 963 Posts
    • 1,660 Thanks
    Loadsofchildren123
    • 18th Apr 17, 1:27 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 1:27 PM
    Apply to set the judgment aside.

Read the relevant court rule:
    https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/part13

You'll need to show a good reason why you didn't defend and that you would have had a good defence. The court fee is £255 but you would expect to recover that if you win.
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 18th Apr 17, 2:14 PM
    • 25,807 Posts
    • 32,461 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    • 18th Apr 17, 2:14 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 2:14 PM
    Did you get any tickets? Did you ignore them? Did you ignore the court papers or did you not receive any of the aforementioned?
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 18th Apr 17, 2:54 PM
    • 3,650 Posts
    • 5,169 Thanks
    Half_way
    • 18th Apr 17, 2:54 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 2:54 PM
    Did you get any tickets? Did you ignore them? Did you ignore the court papers or did you not receive any of the aforementioned?
    Originally posted by peter_the_piper
    please answer the above, what happened to the original letters?
    Something must have been sent to an address somewhere, parking charge notice oh the post, so called crabby collector letters, more of the same, notice of planned court action, court papers, notice of judgement.
    did you receive any of it? have you changed address? is the DVLA aware of your address?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • JoeT_123
    • By JoeT_123 18th Apr 17, 3:06 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    JoeT_123
    • 18th Apr 17, 3:06 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 3:06 PM
    I got the ticket and letters after the money but I never got the claim form and particulars of claim, I rang the county court today to make sure it wasn't a bogus CCJ letter and they confirmed it was real as well as saying they had sent the claim form and particulars of claim to my address.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 18th Apr 17, 4:35 PM
    • 13,571 Posts
    • 21,270 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 18th Apr 17, 4:35 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 4:35 PM
    Your only hope of avoiding a crippling trashing of your creditworthiness is to pay this judgment by the date dictated by the judge, or apply for a set aside as advised above. If you hesitate like a rabbit trapped in the car's headlights and do nothing, this will be disastrous for you in terms of any borrowing, mortgage loans, or even renewing a cell phone contract.

Have a read through the following to help you decide how to act.

http://www.aboutsmallclaims.co.uk/

http://www.aboutsmallclaims.co.uk/county-court-judgement-against-you.html

http://www.aboutsmallclaims.co.uk/set-aside-default-court-judgment.html
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 18th Apr 17, 4:52 PM
    • 25,807 Posts
    • 32,461 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    • 18th Apr 17, 4:52 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 4:52 PM
    I got the ticket and letters after the money but I never got the claim form and particulars of claim, I rang the county court today to make sure it wasn't a bogus CCJ letter and they confirmed it was real as well as saying they had sent the claim form and particulars of claim to my address.
    Originally posted by JoeT_123
    Any chance you moved and did not update your car details with DVLA? Did you confirm the court sent the claim and particulars to your current address? Clutching at straws here but could be useful if court sent to wrong address.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • JoeT_123
    • By JoeT_123 19th Apr 17, 8:15 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    JoeT_123
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:15 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:15 AM
    No when I spoke to them they'd definitely sent it to the right house it just never turned up.
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 19th Apr 17, 8:40 AM
    • 25,807 Posts
    • 32,461 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    In that case follow posts 2 and 3
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,175Posts Today

5,335Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin