Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mahler
    • By mahler 18th Apr 17, 12:57 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mahler
    State Pension increase 2017/18
    • 18th Apr 17, 12:57 PM
    State Pension increase 2017/18 18th Apr 17 at 12:57 PM
    I receive my State Pension weekly. However the first two payments for this financial year (2017/18) haven't shown any increase from last year's amount. I thought the new financial year started 6th April, but payments for 6th & 13th April don't have the 2.5% increase.

Anyone know why?
Page 1
    • anmarj
    • By anmarj 18th Apr 17, 3:50 PM
    • 1,573 Posts
    • 1,226 Thanks
    anmarj
    • 18th Apr 17, 3:50 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 3:50 PM
    Do you have it paid into one account and then transferred to another? If the answer is yes, then you need to mannally adjust the standing order from the account it is transferred from. If you check that account, you should see the increase payments going in.
    mummy to one

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"
    • 33Lurcher
    • By 33Lurcher 18th Apr 17, 5:03 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    33Lurcher
    • 18th Apr 17, 5:03 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 5:03 PM
    My letter from DWP said increase was from 11/4/17 , I got around £3 extra for the last 4 weekly payment (due Yesterday but paid last Thursday ) and as we are paid in arrears the full increase won't show till my next payment .
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 18th Apr 17, 6:13 PM
    • 22,051 Posts
    • 12,719 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:13 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:13 PM
    I receive my State Pension weekly.
    Did you receive a letter from DWP stating when your first payment at the new rate would be?

Are you paid in advance or in arrears?

Foe example, a person with a Monday payment day who is paid in advance would have expected the first payment at the new rate on 10th April but if paid in arrears not until a week later ( but in this particular year would have received it on 13th April because of the Bank Holidays).
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 18th Apr 17, 6:23 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 508 Thanks
    badmemory
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:23 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:23 PM
    My letter says from 10th April (Mon) which is the first day of my payment week as my payment day is Friday, so on 5th May I expect all 4 weeks to be paid at the new rate. I don't think it helps with the confusion with some being paid in advance and some in arrears and also on different days of the week. Just to really add to the confusion, if you do self assessment then the first week of the tax year is at the old rate.
    Last edited by badmemory; 18-04-2017 at 6:28 PM.
    • greenglide
    • By greenglide 18th Apr 17, 7:07 PM
    • 2,740 Posts
    • 1,745 Thanks
    greenglide
    • 18th Apr 17, 7:07 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 7:07 PM
    if you do self assessment then the first week of the tax year is at the old rate.
    I thought that HMRC treat the annual amount as 52 times the increased amount and they didn't bother about when the actual payment was made?

I have the feeling that this is mentioned in the help for the online SA system. I also thought that they only really wanted the weekly amount rather than the amount for the year?
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 18th Apr 17, 8:24 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 508 Thanks
    badmemory
    • 18th Apr 17, 8:24 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 8:24 PM
    I thought that HMRC treat the annual amount as 52 times the increased amount and they didn't bother about when the actual payment was made?
    Originally posted by greenglide
    You'ld think that wouldn't you, but my first payment included 2 weeks in the old tax year and was paid in the new tax year. I got a bill for the tax due for those 2 weeks. Then I had to do SA & so since then I've just kept it rolling on.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

121Posts Today

1,950Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin