Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GEORGER
    • By GEORGER 18th Apr 17, 12:26 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    GEORGER
    Time for a new card?
    • 18th Apr 17, 12:26 PM
    Time for a new card? 18th Apr 17 at 12:26 PM
    Hi there, I wonder if someone can kindly help me?

I have had an extremely poor credit rating for the last ten years since my twenties - yes those good ol' days! I meet someone and have children and realise its time to work on my credit score! I took out an Aqua card, worked really hard at being responsible and paying it off and my credit score has jumped from Poor to almost Excellent!.....great news!!

Can anyone advise what I do now? Do I apply for a better APR card? Will this improve/ help my score? Will lenders be more satisfied that the credit that I do have is a good APR? Do they look at that? Or do I simply stick with what I have as it has really helped my score. I will be looking to get a mortgage in the next two years and would be extremely grateful for anyone's imput as I have worked hard to get back on track! Thankyou in advance! Becks
Page 1
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 18th Apr 17, 12:57 PM
    • 5,466 Posts
    • 5,270 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 18th Apr 17, 12:57 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 12:57 PM
    Don't obsess about a score that's essentially a made-up number and certainly one that's not seen by mortgage (or other) lenders! Credit rating is mainly about account conduct so keep using your card and paying it off in full every month so that APR doesn't come into the equation....
    • GEORGER
    • By GEORGER 18th Apr 17, 1:02 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    GEORGER
    • 18th Apr 17, 1:02 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 1:02 PM
    Hi eskbanker, thankyou for your comment! I was told the other day that lenders look out for spending on a poor credit card (like applying with Wonga goes against you!) , however you have a point. Thankyou again
    • zx81
    • By zx81 18th Apr 17, 1:27 PM
    • 13,172 Posts
    • 13,485 Thanks
    zx81
    • 18th Apr 17, 1:27 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 1:27 PM
    Lenders also don't see the names or APRs of the cards you have, so whoever told you that was a big fat fibber and should be given a Chinese burn.
    • GEORGER
    • By GEORGER 18th Apr 17, 1:28 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    GEORGER
    • 18th Apr 17, 1:28 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 1:28 PM
    HAHA that's brilliant....I am on my way to see my step mother now!!!

Thanks guys, really apreaciate your help on this!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

233Posts Today

1,227Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin