Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • alanq
    • By alanq 18th Apr 17, 11:19 AM
    • 3,644Posts
    • 2,327Thanks
    alanq
    PM Seeks General Election For June 8th
    • 18th Apr 17, 11:19 AM
    PM Seeks General Election For June 8th 18th Apr 17 at 11:19 AM
    http://news.sky.com/

Just announced that there will be a vote in parliament tomorrow to authorise this.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Budgeting and Bank Accounts, Savings & Investments, Food Shopping and Over 50s MoneySaving boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 2
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 18th Apr 17, 2:08 PM
    • 10,936 Posts
    • 8,150 Thanks
    fatbelly
    Doesn't she need a 2/3rds majority in parliament to get this through?

That would need Labour mps to vote for it - are they really going to do that?
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 18th Apr 17, 2:11 PM
    • 54,324 Posts
    • 47,120 Thanks
    Thrugelmir

Originally posted by fatbelly
    Corbyn welcomed the decision earlier today.
    “ “Bull markets are born on pessimism, grow on skepticism, mature on optimism, and die on euphoria. The time of maximum pessimism is the best time to buy, and the time of maximum optimism is the best time to sell.” Sir John Marks Templeton
    • picks
    • By picks 18th Apr 17, 2:14 PM
    • 173 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    picks

Cunning May knows that Labour is in such shambles that they're barely able to organise themselves transport to a meeting to discuss it let alone agree how they'll vote.
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 18th Apr 17, 2:16 PM
    • 10,936 Posts
    • 8,150 Thanks
    fatbelly
    Corbyn welcomed the decision earlier today.
    Originally posted by Thrugelmir
    Surely his party will be decimated? Labour is about 20 points adrift in the opinion polls.

I just put the figures in an election predictor and it showed 57 seats lost from Labour to Conservative
    Last edited by fatbelly; 18-04-2017 at 2:20 PM.
    • kidmugsy
    • By kidmugsy 18th Apr 17, 2:20 PM
    • 9,367 Posts
    • 6,142 Thanks
    kidmugsy
    A Tory victory will put to bed the unelected leader bit
    Originally posted by coastline
    The "unelected leader bit": it would be a shame to put it to bed - it's such a useful indicator that someone is a moron.
    • kidmugsy
    • By kidmugsy 18th Apr 17, 2:21 PM
    • 9,367 Posts
    • 6,142 Thanks
    kidmugsy
    I can't see the budget deficit being a major issue as we've only ran a surplus 7 times in 50 years.
    Originally posted by coastline
    The size and the direction of change can matter.
    • Eco Miser
    • By Eco Miser 18th Apr 17, 3:55 PM
    • 2,889 Posts
    • 2,677 Thanks
    Eco Miser
    it's just an announcement that everyone is a,ready away of.
    Originally posted by Keep pedalling
    Not everybody. I wasn't aware of it until I read it here.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 18th Apr 17, 4:54 PM
    • 2,391 Posts
    • 3,313 Thanks
    Malthusian
    Surely his party will be decimated?
    His party's already decimated. Corbyn doesn't care. There is no credible alternative, and he's already survived one coup. There's no reason to think he'll resign when he loses. The early election will extend his stay in power until at least 2022, just as it does May's.
    • Asghar
    • By Asghar 18th Apr 17, 5:14 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    Asghar
    His party's already decimated. Corbyn doesn't care. There is no credible alternative, and he's already survived one coup. There's no reason to think he'll resign when he loses. The early election will extend his stay in power until at least 2022, just as it does May's.
    Originally posted by Malthusian
    This is the best chance that Labour MP's have of getting rid of Corbyn, now they don't have to wait until 2020.

Tomorrow, in Parliament, they will vote in favour of the June election, Corbyn will fight the election on his terms and mandate, will loose badly and then will have no alternative but to resign.

A lot of Labour MP's will loose their seats but there is no way that they can vote against having an early election anyway, it would make a mockery of their opposition and trying to get into power.
    • isasmurf
    • By isasmurf 18th Apr 17, 5:45 PM
    • 1,719 Posts
    • 738 Thanks
    isasmurf
    As this discussion has little to do with savings & investments could I gently suggest a BG moves it to the discussion board.
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 18th Apr 17, 6:09 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,490 Thanks
    Pincher
    I hope they have enough time to print the postal votes.
    My whole household is away on 8th June.
    They have six weeks to get it through my letterbox.

The Remainers just have to vote anything except Tory, and we will have a REALLY EMBARRASSING U-turn. It's the kind of thing that puts people off Democrazy (sic) and elect me emperor, at last. Action based on whim, prejudice and ignorance is no way to make policy.

The correct way is to run that dog over, when you are driving, because

1. If you swerve right, you run into on-coming traffic, at a combined impact speed of 60+ mph.

2. If you swerve left, you kill the baby on the pavement.

3. Even emergency braking is bad, because the car behind you can crash into you.

Cadence brake, so the car behind you at least sees some flashing.

How many people know enough to do the right thing? And vote the right way?

If you let people decide, the puppy lives, and people die.
    • bottleandahalf
    • By bottleandahalf 18th Apr 17, 7:18 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    bottleandahalf
    BREAKING: The CPS have told Channel 4 News tonight that they are considering charges against more than 30 individuals. #electionexpenses
    • Type 45
    • By Type 45 18th Apr 17, 7:45 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Type 45
    FTSE just lost £46bn! Ouch!
    • picks
    • By picks 18th Apr 17, 9:00 PM
    • 173 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    picks
    As this discussion has little to do with savings & investments could I gently suggest a BG moves it to the discussion board.
    Originally posted by isasmurf
    I agree and am struggling to find a connection with savings & investments. Can you give a link to the discussion board that you refer to?
    • masonic
    • By masonic 18th Apr 17, 9:13 PM
    • 9,126 Posts
    • 6,271 Thanks
    masonic
    I agree and am struggling to find a connection with savings & investments. Can you give a link to the discussion board that you refer to?
    Originally posted by picks
    Presumably this one: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 18th Apr 17, 9:14 PM
    • 6,846 Posts
    • 7,271 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Indeed and it's a very cunning move by May - pretend to go along till 2020 and then abruptly give minimal notice of election. It's not only likely to prevent Corbyn getting his ragbag side to come together in time.

The SNP is in principle the only political lot sufficiently united to be able to scupper aunty May's lemming rush into a rock hard Brexit..
    Originally posted by picks
    I'd say a strong majority makes a "rock hard" Brexit less likely, not more. With a dodgy majority the Eurocrats are more likely to take a hard position believing that parliament may reject it, and even that a "no deal" might nit go through. They may be more reasonable negotiating with a strong government
    • Gambler101
    • By Gambler101 18th Apr 17, 9:59 PM
    • 398 Posts
    • 981 Thanks
    Gambler101
    Corbyn better get on a Virgin train and show he can book train ticket with a seat pronto, otherwise people may think hes incapable of booking a train journey.

As for running the country
    The instructions on the box said 'Requires Windows 7 or better'. So I installed LINUX
    • Fatbritabroad
    • By Fatbritabroad 19th Apr 17, 5:47 AM
    • 149 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    Fatbritabroad
    Corbyn better get on a Virgin train and show he can book train ticket with a seat pronto, otherwise people may think hes incapable of booking a train journey.

As for running the country
    Originally posted by Gambler101
    Or organising a p*as up in a brewery
    • ffacoffipawb
    • By ffacoffipawb 19th Apr 17, 5:49 AM
    • 2,357 Posts
    • 1,513 Thanks
    ffacoffipawb
    Or organising a p*as up in a brewery
    Originally posted by Fatbritabroad
    Or C*ck up in a brothel.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

234Posts Today

3,457Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin