Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • vintagebrighton
    • By vintagebrighton 18th Apr 17, 9:17 AM
    • 501Posts
    • 1,242Thanks
    vintagebrighton
    Termination Fee?
    • 18th Apr 17, 9:17 AM
    Termination Fee? 18th Apr 17 at 9:17 AM
    I'm moving house and rang plusnet to terminate my BB and phone. They've decided that a termination fee of 30 applies! I took out a 12 month contract nearly 2 years ago so I'm definitely out of contract. In fact, the only reason I've been paying the increased price is because I knew we were moving and didn't want to be in contract when I did. Is this correct? They want 30

Thanks

VB x
    Selling Challenge ~ 0/1000
    Savings challenge ~ 1000/5000
Page 1
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 18th Apr 17, 9:57 AM
    • 2,214 Posts
    • 1,600 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 18th Apr 17, 9:57 AM
    • 18th Apr 17, 9:57 AM
    This will be the BT Openreach "cease" fee, which is levied on the ISP when a broadband connection is disconnected. Pretty sure it will be in the T&C's.
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 18th Apr 17, 12:23 PM
    • 2,685 Posts
    • 1,854 Thanks
    lee111s
    • 18th Apr 17, 12:23 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 12:23 PM
    Are you not taking your services with you?
    • vintagebrighton
    • By vintagebrighton 18th Apr 17, 1:43 PM
    • 501 Posts
    • 1,242 Thanks
    vintagebrighton
    • 18th Apr 17, 1:43 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 1:43 PM
    Not taking it, no. The deals for new customers are better than they've offered.

I've now checked the t's&c's and yes, the fee is there. I now don't think we have to pay it as the incoming resident has already applied to have the line taken over by their broadband provider.

You learn something every day

Thanks guys

VB x
    Selling Challenge ~ 0/1000
    Savings challenge ~ 1000/5000
    • always_sunny
    • By always_sunny 20th Apr 17, 5:28 PM
    • 2,821 Posts
    • 2,999 Thanks
    always_sunny
    • 20th Apr 17, 5:28 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 5:28 PM
    do all providers have this cessation fee?
    Expat with an EU passport
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 20th Apr 17, 10:04 PM
    • 2,214 Posts
    • 1,600 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:04 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:04 PM
    Originally posted by always_sunny
    If they require BT Openreach to disconnect the connection, then almost certainly (so probably not Virgin Media). If you switch providers, the cost is usually swallowed by the new ISP.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 21st Apr 17, 7:32 PM
    • 7,479 Posts
    • 4,422 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 21st Apr 17, 7:32 PM
    • 21st Apr 17, 7:32 PM
    Originally posted by always_sunny
    All have to pay it but don't pass it on.

Since last summer PlusNet and BT class even migrating to be a cease, unless you move between those two companies. Virgin is a different system, but others like TalkTalk and Sky don't pass on the charge for migrating to eachother or to PlusNet and BT.
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 22nd Apr 17, 9:39 AM
    • 1,189 Posts
    • 406 Thanks
    iniltous
    • 22nd Apr 17, 9:39 AM
    • 22nd Apr 17, 9:39 AM
    All have to pay it but don't pass it on.

Since last summer PlusNet and BT class even migrating to be a cease, unless you move between those two companies. Virgin is a different system, but others like TalkTalk and Sky don't pass on the charge for migrating to eachother or to PlusNet and BT.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    BT don't raise a cease fee if you migrate using the appropriate migration process, Sky and TT are LLU providers so the WLR cease fee doesn't apply unless you happen to be a legacy customer on lineshare equipment then Sky and TT would charge for a cease of BB
    Last edited by iniltous; 22-04-2017 at 9:42 AM.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 23rd Apr 17, 2:55 PM
    • 7,479 Posts
    • 4,422 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 23rd Apr 17, 2:55 PM
    • 23rd Apr 17, 2:55 PM
    BT don't raise a cease fee if you migrate using the appropriate migration process, Sky and TT are LLU providers so the WLR cease fee doesn't apply unless you happen to be a legacy customer on lineshare equipment then Sky and TT would charge for a cease of BB
    Originally posted by iniltous

According to BT's T&Cs you are correct, yet related PlusNet will charge to go to an LLU provider.

Extract for PlusNet's T&Cs :

10. Ending your agreement
    10.1. Where our agreement ends (even after the expiry of any minimum term) you may be charged a "cessation fee" as set out in the Price Guide where:
    10.1.1. you cancel your service without transferring providers;
    10.1.2. you transfer to a service where: (i) the provider uses their own network to provide the service, or (ii) the provider uses BT's network like us, but they have their own equipment in your local exchange (often called Local Loop Unbundling); or
    10.1.3. the phone line used to provide your service is cut off.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,081Posts Today

6,123Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin