Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 18th Apr 17, 6:14 AM
    • 2,869Posts
    • 38,851Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Tuesday 18 April 2017
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:14 AM
    O/S Daily Tuesday 18 April 2017 18th Apr 17 at 6:14 AM
    O/S Daily Tuesday 18 April 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Now light, light blue sky, sun trying to make an appearance, so will be pegging the washing out shortly.

DH up and gone to work early, DS1 now getting ready for work, DS2 still in his pit.

Lunch yesterday was roast beef, roasties, mash, carrots, broc, peas, yorkshires and gravy, LO apple crumble for dessert. Today we'll be having pork steaks and the LO beef as there's not enough left for a complete meal, there's some LO yorkshires too, will re-heat the beef in the gravy, and make a pan of mash, and serve with some veg.

We were lazy yesterday although we did do a few things in prep for holiday, researching things etc.

Back to work today for me, and it's likely to be manic as we've been shut Friday and Monday - although we were open Saturday morning. I only have to work today and tomorrow then I'm off for a week, can't wait.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 18-04-2017 at 6:22 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 1
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 18th Apr 17, 6:25 AM
    • 15,482 Posts
    • 126,235 Thanks
    JackieO
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:25 AM
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:25 AM
    Good Morning everyone and a grey overcast one it is this morning at the moment .Thanks for kickstarting today nlmc.
    This morning I have my annual boiler service being done and hopefully the plumber will arrive between 9-12 , but who knows as the chap seems to work in a different time zone to everyone else going on previous years .Luckily DGS Ben is still at home for a few days and will let the dogs out for a walk this morning. Had a nice BBQ yesterday although we ate in the dining room as it was too chilly to sit outside but the food was cooked on their new BBQ at least and very nice it was as well.Tonight is quiz night as its Tuesday and I always enjoy that, plus I don't have to cook as I get a meal there as well included in the price
    Hope everyone has a good day, Oh crikey the sun has just appeared and it seems to be brightening up as I type

Cheers chums

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 18th Apr 17, 6:32 AM
    • 15,269 Posts
    • 62,590 Thanks
    Judi
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:32 AM
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:32 AM
    Morning Nmlc and all.

Just seen the men off to work. What a noise they made. Youngest must have gone up and down the stairs three times.

Going to give the house a good vacuum throughout today. Need to check the hounds nails and I might. I said might, do the one thing I wanted to do the weekend but didn't, wash the kitchen walls down. It's such a big job though.

Onwards and forwards

Have a great day all
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • tru
    • By tru 18th Apr 17, 6:40 AM
    • 8,574 Posts
    • 43,161 Thanks
    tru
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:40 AM
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:40 AM
    Morning

There's one little patch of garden where the grass seed is taking ages to grow. Scampi has been kept out the garden for far too long and I'm feeling guilty – especially the last few days, he's been lying down and staring out of back door in the afternoons, lol. I'm going to arrange some sticks and chicken wire in that corner then let him out. He needs the space and I need to get started on his Do-Not-Dig-There-Only-Dig-Here lessons

The shopping's coming mid-morning, I'll leave our walk til after it's arrived so we're not tied to time. I want to have a bit of a clear-out so I'll do that first thing. Work this afternoon, it's so nice to be able to get on with it, I'm on a bit of a roll at the moment

Bulletproof
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 18th Apr 17, 6:48 AM
    • 3,548 Posts
    • 41,199 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:48 AM
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:48 AM
    Morning All

It's really chilly this morning but dry so that's a start. Back to work today, funny how I'm feeling better eh?

Had a lovely catch up with a friend yesterday, lunch wasn't eaten until about 3.30 but was lovely when I eventually got it done. I walked the long way round to Ald! in the morning, about an hour so felt much better for it. If the weather is ok after work I'll go round the country park, not been for ages.

tru - I put grass seed down on the bald patches about 2 weeks ago but it hasn't grown yet.

Right, must remember I now have to get ready in the mornings! Have a good day, take care. XX
    • Gers
    • By Gers 18th Apr 17, 7:04 AM
    • 5,905 Posts
    • 34,907 Thanks
    Gers
    • 18th Apr 17, 7:04 AM
    • 18th Apr 17, 7:04 AM
    Good morning everyone.

After the glorious day yesterday it looks dull today. My friends are doing a RIB tour this morning whilst m having a hair cut.

Nothing too exciting on the horizon today.

PS IN EDIT - just seen that my occupational pension has increased by £20.00' now that's exciting.

Happy back to work Tuesday!
    Last edited by Gers; 18-04-2017 at 7:06 AM.
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 18th Apr 17, 7:18 AM
    • 2,111 Posts
    • 25,857 Thanks
    Coxy11
    • 18th Apr 17, 7:18 AM
    • 18th Apr 17, 7:18 AM
    Morning all, I'm not back to work until tomorrow but school is back today. I have two zombie like teenagers mooching around getting ready to leave for the bus. Didn't get on yesterday as we spent 10 hours gloss painting, 5 hours each. Only managed the downstairs hallway and porch, so today it's the bedroom and bathroom doors, plus up the stairs. DH decided we should change the walll colour even though we have enough paint to use of the same colour. Walls won't happen until the weekend anyway so we have some time to think about it.
    DH going into the new job on Thursday morning then starts properly on Monday - 13 months out of work, and he's chomping at the bit to get going, although understandably a little nervous.
    Need to meal plan for this week and get some packed lunch bits in - bit of a miss mash for DS2's lunch today bless him.
    Have a good day all
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP #1: Collecting Shells by Nancy Cole
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 18th Apr 17, 7:22 AM
    • 3,667 Posts
    • 22,262 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 18th Apr 17, 7:22 AM
    • 18th Apr 17, 7:22 AM
    Morning folks and thanks NMLC for starting. An absolutely glorious start here, the sky is blue and the sun is shining. Good to tell the bank holiday is over when we had mizzle, drizzle and dark skies. Well ok odd bits of sun too in among, but not much!

We have done nothing much but eat and slob about over Easter. Feet up scoffing chocs and Easter eggs and watching snooker. We are going to get off our backsides today and have a trip out somewhere where we can incorporate a nice steady walk and finish off with a late pub lunch. The sun is forecast to shine most of the day.

My DD is like the old woman who lived in a shoe at the caravan! If it isn't enough that she has her own three kids there, the eldest now has a friend staying till Friday. Four under 12's in a caravan eek! I hope the weather holds and they can get out and about!

I am doing WW banana pancakes again for breakfast as I am developing quite an addiction for them. Topped with a dollop of LF Greek yogurt and mixed berries they are very moreish and quite a healthy brekkie.

Have a good day folks and (HUGS) for those wanting them. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 18th Apr 17, 7:25 AM
    • 1,255 Posts
    • 17,492 Thanks
    dumpling
    • 18th Apr 17, 7:25 AM
    • 18th Apr 17, 7:25 AM
    Good morning everyone

The sun is shining and it looks to be a lovely day here. The girls go back to school today after their long break and hubby has gone to work as well. I have decided that I am not going to mope around but actually do some things around the house and then hopefully go out and see a friend this afternoon.

I have some shopping being delivered early this morning so I will put that away and prepare dinner as I won't be here this afternoon. I am going to make a chicken curry traybake, a recipe kindly given to me from someone on the weight loss thread. It sounds really yummy so fingers crossed it works out for me.

I need to tidy the living room this morning as quite a few bits have migrated there over the Easter holiday and it is starting to get on my nerves. I will hoover and dust as well as opening the windows to let some fresh air in.

Well, I had better chivvy the girls along as they don't want to be late on their first day back. Hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx
    September GC - £383.00/£550
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 18th Apr 17, 8:02 AM
    • 1,241 Posts
    • 13,973 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Morning!
    A sunny day, lovely after a gloomy Easter but unfortunately there is nobody here to wriggle out of the window with the washing. OH and DS have gone off for an expedition to somewhere near Sheffield. DS will sleep all the way I think as he was still yakking away on the phone when I got up at 330. I knew I was meant to wake him at 6 so didn't sleep well. They have left twice, having forgotten the directions the first time. I had wondered what they would forget and how long it woukd take before they returned.

I have the house to myself, nobody here to need me to do something absolutely essential that would take me all morning , I can get on with what I want to do which is cleaning the kitchen and changing bedlinen.

I go back to work tomorrow, just two days this week and that's a relief, am getting a bit fed up with it. Two more of my (younger) colleagues have announced their imminent retirement dates. Must buy some snazzy boots so that they can all say at least she died with her boots on.

Tru, I never convinced my dogs to dig in one part of the garden as opposed to another, they were not all that brainy but they were possessed of low cunning.

It is time for me to get a move on, see you later and hope everyone has a good day.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 18th Apr 17, 8:46 AM
    • 1,732 Posts
    • 16,127 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning (((((((((( hugs )))))))))) if you need one.

I overdid it yesterday, very tired and achy this morning. OH brought my breakfast, the porridge was lumpy, I hate lumpy porridge, took a bit of chewing to get it down, still must be thankful.

Sun is shining. OH says it's cold out there 5c. Brrrr......no plans except to start slowly pulling stuff together for going away. OH is taking the car round to the garage to get the tyres checked. I also want the chap to look at the brakes see if they need doing before the MOT in June.

I have a gammon joint in soak, will cook it in the pressure cooker, will freeze the stock for soup. Tomorrow is shopping day for fresh stuff to take away, the car needs filling up as well.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 18th Apr 17, 8:46 AM
    • 1,666 Posts
    • 19,731 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning everyone,

Dry, bright and sunny here in EA but bbrr cold.

Glad to read that you stayed at home yesterday TA just another stress you didn't need.

Dropping the dogs off at kennels this morning as off to York for a couple of days, I have visited the city before but years ago so will be lovely to have a good explore and although I love our home it will also be good to have a change of scenery.

Have a good day everyone x
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 18th Apr 17, 9:01 AM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 13,594 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good morning everyone,

Been a while since I checked in here as I had a packed weekend. Back to work now.

Wedding on Sunday was lovely. As best man, I think I done my duties and my speech went well.

Badminton tonight. Chicken and veg for dinner beforehand. Another early night I hope.

Have a nice day all.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • redruby
    • By redruby 18th Apr 17, 9:32 AM
    • 6,479 Posts
    • 89,666 Thanks
    redruby
    Morning all

Lovely bright day here again although its very cold with a sharp wind, I have some washing on the go and will hang it out in a while.

We got one of the reduced tables yesterday but they were flying out and people were getting chopsy when there were none left, there were two left when we bought ours and people were arguing over them . OH is going to try and chop the rest of the wood today and then we can stack it and sweep the decking and then get the new table put up, its too cold to sit out at the moment but hopefully wont be long.

Not sure about dinner tonight will go and rummage in the freezer after this, I think there are some sausages in there but I am really not keen on them, I only buy them cos OH loves them.

Right better get on have good days all xx
    • Floss
    • By Floss 18th Apr 17, 11:14 AM
    • 4,001 Posts
    • 32,661 Thanks
    Floss
    Just heard the news - there is to be a general election on June 8th!!
    • Judi
    • By Judi 18th Apr 17, 11:36 AM
    • 15,269 Posts
    • 62,590 Thanks
    Judi
    Originally posted by Floss
    Oh Wow, well last General Election i wavered in my vote. Not this time.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 18th Apr 17, 12:55 PM
    • 410 Posts
    • 4,957 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Hello all
    DH and I had a rubbish nights sleep, we were both up at 3am having a hot beverage.
    DH has taken the car for it's MOT and I have put two loads of washing on the line as it's quite sunny here and there is a good breeze.
    Well the chill out yesterday didn't happen because the DW leaked all over the floor . So while I paddled and tried to mop up the mess, cue DH lying on the floor, trying to sort the problem muttering something about "this must have been put together by monkeys ! " Needless to say he was not very happy about the inner mechanics of the machine. So two hours later when all pipes etc checked, we think the float valve (? ) was sticking. At least the floor has had another wash .
    Have a good Tuesday all and roll on June 9th !
    PS the car passed it's MOT .
    Last edited by nannywindow; 18-04-2017 at 1:57 PM. Reason: to add
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 18th Apr 17, 4:31 PM
    • 3,667 Posts
    • 22,262 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    Afternoon all. We had a change of heart re our bus trip out to incorporate a walk and late lunch. It was such a glorious day we decided to take advantage of what's on our doorstep (almost!) and set off up the hill to the Moorgate. Not been up there since last autumn and I swear it's got twice as steep over the winter! Then we had a wander through the fields to the start of the moorland. The views as always were spectacular, 30 miles up the valley to the Yorkshire Peaks. We just sat on a rock enjoying the peace, admiring the views and watching the skylarks swooping around us.

We were pleased we made the effort and plan to do it more often now the weather is, hopefully, on the mend! The only drawback is we missed our meal out and will be dining at Casa Abuela instead! I left some smoked haddock defrosting which will go down nicely with a poached egg, some baby potatoes and a bit of salad.

Enjoy the rest of the day folks and take care xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 18th Apr 17, 4:48 PM
    • 15,482 Posts
    • 126,235 Thanks
    JackieO
    Coxy11 the relief of your OH starting work again I can relate to as my OH when he came back from contract work in Africa in the early 1980s had 15 months without a sniff of a job and it was a very worrying time. I had a 13 year old and a 15 year old at private school, plus a mortgage and all the other bills to find. At one point I was working three jobs at a time to keep us afloat .Eventually when things picked up, he found work, but it was a good job I was good at streeetching our cash till it squeaked
    JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 18th Apr 17, 5:06 PM
    • 9,892 Posts
    • 106,320 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Originally posted by Floss
    Thanks for the heads-up. We're away then, so Mr LW and I will have to organise to do postal votes, I guess.

Most important task dealt with today - checked Mr LW's accounts, and realised that @viva are supposed to pay him some pension drawdown at the beginning of April, and it hasn't materialised. Anyways, he's been onto them and says the money is now on it's way. He has another drawdown amount from C4pita due shortly, so we'll need to be on the alert in case that needs chasing too.

I knew the new method of requesting controlled drugs would be complicated - I put in a request for Oramorph (morphine "syrup" that is not on the CD list, which I take as needed) and sustained release morphine tablets which are CDs. The surgery phoned Mr LW (he's authorised to deal with phone calls from the GP surgery for me) to query what medication I wanted.....
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

452Posts Today

4,016Users online

Martin's Twitter