Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thor
    • By thor 18th Apr 17, 2:29 AM
    • 5,180Posts
    • 1,852Thanks
    thor
    What is good acting and does it matter?
    • 18th Apr 17, 2:29 AM
    What is good acting and does it matter? 18th Apr 17 at 2:29 AM
    I have often heard people discussing actors in films and how they can either act or they can't.
    I honestly can't tell the difference between a good actor and a bad one. They all look unnatural on screen to me. Action stars such as Sly or Arnie are universally derided as being crap actors but replace if you replace them with oscar winning stars, I would find them equally as unconvincing.
    You might justifiably say that I already knew they were actors but sometimes when flicking through tv channels, I have come midway across news reports where actors play the role of victims who prefer to remain anonymous and I can see immediately that they are acting.
    What I am trying to say is that I can spot acting from a million miles away so for me there are no good actors.
    Anyone else feel this way?
Page 1
    • Mandelbrot
    • By Mandelbrot 18th Apr 17, 2:46 AM
    • 8,640 Posts
    • 18,699 Thanks
    Mandelbrot
    • 18th Apr 17, 2:46 AM
    • 18th Apr 17, 2:46 AM
    There are good actors. There are brilliant actors.
    There are bad actors. There are completely rubbish actors.
    There are various shades of reasonably passable actors.

Brilliant actors are a rare occurrence.
    I don't see many of them around at the moment.
    Though there are plenty of good ones.
    Often, not the ones who get the star billing, but the ones that sensible directors will know about and ensure are part of the team.
    • bushbaby1103
    • By bushbaby1103 18th Apr 17, 6:29 AM
    • 4,800 Posts
    • 7,831 Thanks
    bushbaby1103
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:29 AM
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:29 AM
    Ve been watching a show on Netflix over the past week and I am shocked at the decline in an actor I used to like.
    What on earth happened to Danny Divito? I'm watching him in Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia and he looks like a sex offending hobbit. It's embarrassing to see him stumbling around and shouting his lines
    I used to enjoy him in Taxi. But now?
    I guess a good actor delivers good performances irrespective of the script, other actors, personal life etc and you shouldn't be able to "see"them acting, it should look natural and seamless, but in the great scheme of things it's not so important.
    Yes, it's true hell IS other people
    And remember the problem is them, not you.
    Devilsand demons walk among us in human form.wake up people, it's a man.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 18th Apr 17, 6:55 AM
    • 2,803 Posts
    • 3,774 Thanks
    Nick_C
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:55 AM
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:55 AM
    OP, sounds like you are incapable of suspending disbelief and allowing yourself to become submersed in a story. You are missing out.
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 18th Apr 17, 8:07 AM
    • 13,455 Posts
    • 25,571 Thanks
    onlyroz
    • 18th Apr 17, 8:07 AM
    • 18th Apr 17, 8:07 AM
    Sly was nominated for an oscar you know...

As for Arnie, he was the perfect actor for the Terminator role.
    Last edited by onlyroz; 18-04-2017 at 8:09 AM.
    • Exile_geordie
    • By Exile_geordie 18th Apr 17, 9:41 AM
    • 4,416 Posts
    • 8,837 Thanks
    Exile_geordie
    • 18th Apr 17, 9:41 AM
    • 18th Apr 17, 9:41 AM
    Surely a good actor is one who convinces you that they are the person they are playing and not just xxxx actor
    Northern Northern Northern.
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 18th Apr 17, 2:45 PM
    • 3,333 Posts
    • 5,687 Thanks
    avogadro
    • 18th Apr 17, 2:45 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 2:45 PM
    I honestly can't tell the difference between a good actor and a bad one.
    Originally posted by thor
    Try watching Tarantino when he makes a cameo appearance in one of his films.
    • bap98189
    • By bap98189 18th Apr 17, 2:52 PM
    • 2,452 Posts
    • 3,976 Thanks
    bap98189
    • 18th Apr 17, 2:52 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 2:52 PM
    Anyone can tell the difference between a good actor and a bad actor. Watch any number of low-budget or student production films and you'll know immediately when people are terrible actors.

I would say it is much more difficult to tell the difference between a good actor and a brilliant one though, but that's probably the same for most artists.
    • tommix
    • By tommix 18th Apr 17, 3:06 PM
    • 35,344 Posts
    • 142,230 Thanks
    tommix
    • 18th Apr 17, 3:06 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 3:06 PM
    Good actor - Robert De Niro

Bad Actor - Kenny Lynch

Good Actor - Gary Oldman

Bad Actor - Arthur Mullard

Quite simple really.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 18th Apr 17, 3:59 PM
    • 28,980 Posts
    • 106,085 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Very often what distinguishes a very good actor from a not very good actor is not how they deliver their lines, but how they deliver meaning, emotions and character when they aren't speaking, i.e. in facial expressions, body language and subtle gestures.

Sometimes the slight flicker of an expression, the subtle hardening of the eyes, the fleeting quiver of the lip can tell the audience reams about a character, more than the script.

The hardest thing of all to act well is a pause.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • mattytun
    • By mattytun 18th Apr 17, 4:05 PM
    • 13,184 Posts
    • 229,343 Thanks
    mattytun
    Good actor - Robert De Niro

Bad Actor - Kenny Lynch

Good Actor - Gary Oldman

Bad Actor - Arthur Mullard

Quite simple really.
    Originally posted by tommix
    You have hit the nail on the head
    Can't sleep, quit counting sheep and talk directly to the shepherd
    • Sam Fallow
    • By Sam Fallow 18th Apr 17, 4:45 PM
    • 787 Posts
    • 1,777 Thanks
    Sam Fallow
    When I watched the box set of Breaking Bad I was blown away by Bryan Cranston as an actor. Subsequently I sought him out and watched the film 'Trumbo.'

After the first 15 minutes of thinking 'this isn't Breaking Bad!' I got totally immersed in the film and only afterwards did I again consider Cranston the actor.

If you can tell they're acting it's bad, if you can't it's good.

As a similie I refer you to the dancers Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly.
    Kelly made the easy moves look difficult, Astaire made the difficult moves look easy.
    I don't like morning people. Or mornings. Or people.
    • thor
    • By thor 18th Apr 17, 9:33 PM
    • 5,180 Posts
    • 1,852 Thanks
    thor
    OP, sounds like you are incapable of suspending disbelief and allowing yourself to become submersed in a story. You are missing out.
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    On the contrary, I enjoy films whether the acting is supposedly good or bad hence for me the quality of acting is immaterial.
    • thor
    • By thor 18th Apr 17, 9:39 PM
    • 5,180 Posts
    • 1,852 Thanks
    thor
    Sly was nominated for an oscar you know...
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    You are right of course, it had slipped my mind. Despite this though many people would claim he is incapable of acting.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 18th Apr 17, 10:00 PM
    • 22,972 Posts
    • 88,594 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Ve been watching a show on Netflix over the past week and I am shocked at the decline in an actor I used to like.
    What on earth happened to Danny Divito? I'm watching him in Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia and he looks like a sex offending hobbit. It's embarrassing to see him stumbling around and shouting his lines
    I used to enjoy him in Taxi. But now?
    I guess a good actor delivers good performances irrespective of the script, other actors, personal life etc and you shouldn't be able to "see"them acting, it should look natural and seamless, but in the great scheme of things it's not so important.
    Originally posted by bushbaby1103
    I think it's the scriptwriting that's the problem there - in other things, no matter what a 'bad' person he was supposed to be, there was always something likeable about the character - but, with that show, the whole point is that they are all fundamentally detestable human beings. Or that's what the Bloke informed me when I said I thought it was utter ballcocks with horrible people running round and shouting and being nasty to one another throughout. So he's actually doing exactly what is wanted of him (presumably making him a better actor than you'd think?)

Then again, whilst I can analyse the build up to gags, situations and farcical conventions of things like Seinfeld and The Thick of It, I'd rather boil my eyeballs than ever see them again, whilst he loves them.

I'm not a 'comedy' fan.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 18th Apr 17, 10:21 PM
    • 13,455 Posts
    • 25,571 Thanks
    onlyroz
    When I watched the box set of Breaking Bad I was blown away by Bryan Cranston as an actor. Subsequently I sought him out and watched the film 'Trumbo.'

After the first 15 minutes of thinking 'this isn't Breaking Bad!' I got totally immersed in the film and only afterwards did I again consider Cranston the actor.
    Originally posted by Sam Fallow
    Bryan Cranston is one of the best actors around today.
    • bushbaby1103
    • By bushbaby1103 19th Apr 17, 12:14 AM
    • 4,800 Posts
    • 7,831 Thanks
    bushbaby1103
    Bryan Cranston is one of the best actors around today.
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    Agreed and I'd add Andrew Lincoln
    Yes, it's true hell IS other people
    And remember the problem is them, not you.
    Devilsand demons walk among us in human form.wake up people, it's a man.
    • makingplans4nigel
    • By makingplans4nigel 19th Apr 17, 10:53 PM
    • 987 Posts
    • 2,604 Thanks
    makingplans4nigel
    I'm currently watching the man in the high castle, and it would appear good acting does not matter.
    Come on sucker lick my battery
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 19th Apr 17, 11:04 PM
    • 2,604 Posts
    • 4,930 Thanks
    Spidernick
    Anyone who can play such diverse characters as Tony Blair, Kenneth Williams and Brian Clough and be absolutely believable as all of them deserves the title of one of the best actors around. Step forward Michael Sheen.
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 19th Apr 17, 11:08 PM
    • 14,766 Posts
    • 126,128 Thanks
    zagubov
    Taxi was one of those under-rated gems I adore.

As for acting quality, I remember reading Michael J Fox's biography where he relates how he noticed the changes in his movies over time which he saw his acting being more restrained and understated and he interpreted this as him just getting better at it. And sadly later on he realised he was just getting sicker with Parkinsonism.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

115Posts Today

2,017Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin