Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • getmeouttahere
    • By getmeouttahere 17th Apr 17, 10:46 PM
    • 188Posts
    • 43Thanks
    getmeouttahere
    Recommend a Car please
    • 17th Apr 17, 10:46 PM
    Recommend a Car please 17th Apr 17 at 10:46 PM
    Currently have a 2010 Citroen C4 Picasso which is starting to give us problem after problem so we've decided to bite the bullet at buy another car.

We're looking for something a little bit smaller than the C4 Picasso but not too small as it needs to be family friendly. It also needs to be 4-5 door, and needs to be automatic. We have a max budget of around £8,000.

What sort of thing should we be looking at? We've looked at Nissan Jukes which we like the look of, but priority is reliability.

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • waamo
    • By waamo 17th Apr 17, 11:10 PM
    • 1,577 Posts
    • 1,800 Thanks
    waamo
    • 17th Apr 17, 11:10 PM
    • 17th Apr 17, 11:10 PM
    I had a Citroen until recently. It was towed so often it thought it was a caravan.

The Juke seems to be pretty reliable from what I've heard. Let's face it it couldn't be worse than a Citroen.
    This space for hire.
    • palgrave
    • By palgrave 17th Apr 17, 11:32 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    palgrave
    • 17th Apr 17, 11:32 PM
    • 17th Apr 17, 11:32 PM
    Honda Civic or Toyota Auris
    • getmeouttahere
    • By getmeouttahere 17th Apr 17, 11:42 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    getmeouttahere
    • 17th Apr 17, 11:42 PM
    • 17th Apr 17, 11:42 PM
    I had a Citroen until recently. It was towed so often it thought it was a caravan.

The Juke seems to be pretty reliable from what I've heard. Let's face it it couldn't be worse than a Citroen.
    Originally posted by waamo
    Haha...thankfully, we've never had to have it towed but it's getting more problematic more often now. I do like the look of the Juke so will look into that a bit more.

Honda Civic or Toyota Auris
    Originally posted by palgrave
    The Civic is a bit smaller than we're looking for really but will look at the Auris.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 18th Apr 17, 1:07 AM
    • 25,108 Posts
    • 9,963 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 18th Apr 17, 1:07 AM
    • 18th Apr 17, 1:07 AM
    A nissan Juke is a Micra with big wheels. Not something i would be considering as a small step down from a C4 Picasso.

Less interior space and the boots less than 2/3rd the size of the one you have now. And smaller than the Civic that you said was too small.

The Civic Estate is actually bigger than your C4.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • getmeouttahere
    • By getmeouttahere 18th Apr 17, 1:48 AM
    • 188 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    getmeouttahere
    • 18th Apr 17, 1:48 AM
    • 18th Apr 17, 1:48 AM
    A nissan Juke is a Micra with big wheels. Not something i would be considering as a small step down from a C4 Picasso.

Less interior space and the boots less than 2/3rd the size of the one you have now. And smaller than the Civic that you said was too small.

The Civic Estate is actually bigger than your C4.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    I don't want an estate hence not looking at the civic estate, but my comment about the civic being too small referred to the 'type' of car as I'm looking for a small SUV/crossover type car. Although it is interesting that the civic has more luggage capacity than the juke.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 18th Apr 17, 7:13 AM
    • 6,891 Posts
    • 5,230 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 18th Apr 17, 7:13 AM
    • 18th Apr 17, 7:13 AM
    Luggage space on a Juke is woeful.
    • wba31
    • By wba31 18th Apr 17, 7:19 AM
    • 2,149 Posts
    • 1,141 Thanks
    wba31
    • 18th Apr 17, 7:19 AM
    • 18th Apr 17, 7:19 AM
    As previously said the Juke is tiny, and the Civic is cavernous inside! I haven't checked figures but compare the Civic space to things like the Qashqai, having had a Civic for a number of years it seemed pretty big compared to friends Qashqai's and other "fashionable" SUVs.
    CRV is an SUV that may have the room you're after.
    I bought an S-Max to gain more space, wanted a Superb Estate or a Civic Estate but the wife wanted an MPV so we compromised and got what she wanted...
    Use honest John site, size specs etc are on the reviews pages - just checked for you, Qashqai has 410 litres of boot space, Civic has 480...
    Last edited by wba31; 18-04-2017 at 7:22 AM.
    • facade
    • By facade 18th Apr 17, 8:03 AM
    • 2,663 Posts
    • 1,368 Thanks
    facade
    • 18th Apr 17, 8:03 AM
    • 18th Apr 17, 8:03 AM
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    A Juke is a rebodied Renault Cleo. Think French car badly assembled in the UK, with a dealer network that sees a lot of complaints on here.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • getmeouttahere
    • By getmeouttahere 20th Apr 17, 5:49 AM
    • 188 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    getmeouttahere
    Sorry I've not responded for a day or two, been busy at work. My mother in law has offered to loan us some money to allow us to increase our budget a bit so I've been looking at the Citroen DS5 online which looks quite nice. Showed my wife the civic and she didn't like the back of the newer ones but likes the 8 year old ones (which is too old for me to consider).

We've decided against the juke as on reflection, the dash looks cheap and we want a car that will last.

I think we're going to spend a few hours at fords of winsford on Monday so we can look at as many different makes/models as possible.
    • ffacoffipawb
    • By ffacoffipawb 20th Apr 17, 5:58 AM
    • 2,350 Posts
    • 1,500 Thanks
    ffacoffipawb
    Sorry I've not responded for a day or two, been busy at work. My mother in law has offered to loan us some money to allow us to increase our budget a bit so I've been looking at the Citroen DS5 online which looks quite nice. Showed my wife the civic and she didn't like the back of the newer ones but likes the 8 year old ones (which is too old for me to consider).

We've decided against the juke as on reflection, the dash looks cheap and we want a car that will last.

I think we're going to spend a few hours at fords of winsford on Monday so we can look at as many different makes/models as possible.
    Originally posted by getmeouttahere
    A bit left field - how about an Alfa Romeo Gulietta?

(or the smaller Mito?)
    • getmeouttahere
    • By getmeouttahere 20th Apr 17, 6:10 AM
    • 188 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    getmeouttahere
    A bit left field - how about an Alfa Romeo Gulietta?

(or the smaller Mito?)
    Originally posted by ffacoffipawb
    The Mito is definitely too small (I've got a friend who's got one), but will have a look at the Gulietta
    • Rain Shadow
    • By Rain Shadow 20th Apr 17, 8:30 AM
    • 1,671 Posts
    • 3,039 Thanks
    Rain Shadow
    Currently have a 2010 Citroen C4 Picasso which is starting to give us problem after problem so we've decided to bite the bullet at buy another car.

We're looking for something a little bit smaller than the C4 Picasso but not too small as it needs to be family friendly. It also needs to be 4-5 door, and needs to be automatic. We have a max budget of around £8,000.
    I've been looking at the Citroen DS5 online which looks quite nice. Showed my wife the civic and she didn't like the back of the newer ones but likes the 8 year old ones (which is too old for me to consider).

So, unreliable Citroen and you think another Citroen is the way to go?

How about a MAZDA CX5?
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 20th Apr 17, 8:55 AM
    • 1,577 Posts
    • 1,800 Thanks
    waamo

How about a MAZDA CX5?
    Originally posted by Rain Shadow
    Out of the frying pan is what first springs to mind when you mention another Citroen.
    This space for hire.
    • wba31
    • By wba31 20th Apr 17, 9:16 AM
    • 2,149 Posts
    • 1,141 Thanks
    wba31

honest John is your friend, check out his reviews and then the owners reviews before you but anything.

Cant believe no-one has mentioned them yet, but Ford Mondeo or Skoda Octavia? Estates are pretty big and you shouldn't have any problems finding a decent one for your £££

As a big fan of Honda I'd also recommend the Accord Estate, although I find diesels often come with high mileage.
    • getmeouttahere
    • By getmeouttahere 20th Apr 17, 9:58 AM
    • 188 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    getmeouttahere

How about a MAZDA CX5?
    Originally posted by Rain Shadow
    Until recently, the Picasso has been a great car (we've had it nearly 3 years) and the reviews on the Parker site are all pretty good for the DS5!

honest John is your friend, check out his reviews and then the owners reviews before you but anything.
    Cant believe no-one has mentioned them yet, but Ford Mondeo or Skoda Octavia? Estates are pretty big and you shouldn't have any problems finding a decent one for your £££

As a big fan of Honda I'd also recommend the Accord Estate, although I find diesels often come with high mileage.
    Originally posted by wba31
    Guess you missed the bit where I said we didnt want an estate
    • DavidT67
    • By DavidT67 20th Apr 17, 10:22 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    DavidT67
    Also had a 2010 C4 Picasso, after spending months in a Citroen garage without them been able to resolve faults, just create new ones, it was sold to motor trade and taken away on a transporter, presumably as a donor for parts.

Oh and the loan car was a Citroen DS5, thought the interior was horrible, the drive appalling and the semi automatic gearbox with electronic parking brake extremely annoying.

Never, ever buying a Citroen or Peugeot again !

C4 Picasso had greater internal volume than most comparable length estates, so small SUVs / crossovers aren't going to come close on boot capacity or rear passenger space.

I went with a Mercedes C Class estate, but already wishing for a taller, squarer boot like the C4 Picasso had. So may change to a MB E Class estate.
    Last edited by DavidT67; 20-04-2017 at 10:26 AM. Reason: clarity
    • kmb500
    • By kmb500 20th Apr 17, 10:30 AM
    • 294 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    kmb500
    Haha...thankfully, we've never had to have it towed but it's getting more problematic more often now. I do like the look of the Juke so will look into that a bit more.

The Civic is a bit smaller than we're looking for really but will look at the Auris.
    If you're considering a Juke then not sure what's wrong with a Civic, as I'm pretty sure the Civic is bigger. There's a new Honda mini SUV like the Juke too, cn't remember what it's called.
    Nissan/Honda should be very reliable, Japanese manufacturers are generally superior in terms of reliability to everything else on the road.

If you're buying a new car and worried about reliability you might want to consider Kia? Since they have 7 year warranty. In fact I think Vauxhall has a 100,000 mile warranty, for that matter, but not sure if you have to pay extra etc.
    • tykesi
    • By tykesi 20th Apr 17, 11:25 AM
    • 1,668 Posts
    • 2,239 Thanks
    tykesi
    ^^ This. Civic is tonnes bigger. I run a Civic and hired a Juke on holiday in Spain. We couldn't even get two suitcases in the boot of the Juke, my Civic will fit three of the same size 'cases.

Maybe people think it's bigger because it's taller but it's more Clio/Fiesta/Micra sized inside than a proper car.
    £2017 in 2017 - £1974.69
    • getmeouttahere
    • By getmeouttahere 23rd Apr 17, 12:37 AM
    • 188 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    getmeouttahere
    Just thought I'd update the thread. I've ordered a 66 plate Vauxhall Astra. It's miles better than anything else in the price range and has 2.5 years warranty and 18 months roadside cover. Hopefully made the right decision.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,164Posts Today

9,239Users online

Martin's Twitter