Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mysterymurdoch
    • By mysterymurdoch 17th Apr 17, 10:44 PM
    • 136Posts
    • 104Thanks
    mysterymurdoch
    Planting potted trees just now?
    • 17th Apr 17, 10:44 PM
    Planting potted trees just now? 17th Apr 17 at 10:44 PM
    Has anyone done much planting of potted trees at this time of year without problem? I've space and time to do it now and would love to get a couple of 8-10ft trees planted rather than wait for winter.

Thanks
    mm
Page 1
    • madjackslam
    • By madjackslam 18th Apr 17, 10:32 AM
    • 189 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    madjackslam
    • 18th Apr 17, 10:32 AM
    • 18th Apr 17, 10:32 AM
    If they're potted then you should be able to plant them at any time. A useful guide here - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=237. Make sure they are well watered in the first year.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 18th Apr 17, 1:45 PM
    • 5,371 Posts
    • 6,168 Thanks
    Farway
    • 18th Apr 17, 1:45 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 1:45 PM
    And make sure they are really pot grown, not just bare rooted & bunged into a pot for a few weeks before sale

Has the top soil in pot got moss / weeds on it? Good sign it has been in pot for a bit
    • mysterymurdoch
    • By mysterymurdoch 18th Apr 17, 9:54 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    mysterymurdoch
    • 18th Apr 17, 9:54 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 9:54 PM
    Yep and yep. Thought about spending £100 on a 75 litre thing but in the end I just bought a 12 litre tree. It's still 7ft tall. The 75 litre one might have been 12ft or so, but still on the sparse side and I couldn't see the need for it over the little one. Got the sprinkler set up!

I may also get a sorbus aira lutescens and try and convince the wife to let me plant it nearer the middle of the lawn, rather than out on the fringes. The garden's becoming a bit hemmed in with things around the borders and I feel it needs some depth. I love the whitebeam and think the kids will too, the fluttering silver leaves are ace.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 18th Apr 17, 10:01 PM
    • 27,977 Posts
    • 71,129 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 18th Apr 17, 10:01 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 10:01 PM
    Got the sprinkler set up!
    Originally posted by mysterymurdoch
    It's important that you water thoroughly each time so that the moisture gets right down into the soil.

Keeping the top few inches damp can do more harm than good.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

558Posts Today

5,838Users online

Martin's Twitter