Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PMJ88
    • By PMJ88 17th Apr 17, 10:20 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    PMJ88
    Being refused back pay of pay rise!
    • 17th Apr 17, 10:20 PM
    Being refused back pay of pay rise! 17th Apr 17 at 10:20 PM
    Hi there, I work for a large chain of pubs (won't say which) and I started there last April. Since August of last year I have been doing the Team Leader role (I'm the only Team Leader, other management are Asst. Manager and General Manager, all other staff are Team Members). I never really wanted to do it in the first place but my manager at the time begged me so I agreed. She promised me a pay rise of 30p per hour (just a gesture really) and said she'd get the area manager to approve it. It was approved but not put through the system, then my manager moved on to another pub. So I asked the new manager who said no problem, I'll sort it. He told me it had been done and all was good. Anyway, my fault I know but I don't check my payslips. They are only online and I never think to check them. Anyway I've just discovered last week that I'm still on NMW. The pay rise was never put into place. Definitely learnt my lesson BUT I've asked for backpay since September 2016 (when Manager number 2 said he'd put it all through) and the new area manager has said no, but agreed to put it up now to 30p above the new NMW.

What can I do? She's coming in on Wednesday so I can speak to her face to face. I feel like I've been completely taken advantage of and if the shoe was on the other foot they'd take money from my wages without a second thought. The difference only adds up to £200 over that time but to me that's a lot of money.

So sorry for the essay. Any advice is much appreciated!!!
Page 1
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 17th Apr 17, 10:37 PM
    • 29,556 Posts
    • 18,680 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 17th Apr 17, 10:37 PM
    • 17th Apr 17, 10:37 PM
    Why was it not approved by the area manager ? I know where I work to be a team leader you have to do training etc, was it refused because your not trained ?
    Je Suis Charlie
    • PMJ88
    • By PMJ88 17th Apr 17, 10:41 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    PMJ88
    • 17th Apr 17, 10:41 PM
    • 17th Apr 17, 10:41 PM
    I don't know to be honest. My new manager (number 3 since I've been there) asked on my behalf and said she'd said no. Don't think it was the training issue, there's no formal training and I'm more than qualified in experience. You can see I've been a team leader the whole time as I have a Management login for the finance system to cash up at the end of my shifts etc. I couldn't do that without being a Team leader so I don't know how they can not back pay me for a job I've clearly been doing?

Thanks for the response.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 17th Apr 17, 10:47 PM
    • 29,556 Posts
    • 18,680 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 17th Apr 17, 10:47 PM
    • 17th Apr 17, 10:47 PM
    I don't know to be honest. My new manager (number 3 since I've been there) asked on my behalf and said she'd said no. Don't think it was the training issue, there's no formal training and I'm more than qualified in experience. You can see I've been a team leader the whole time as I have a Management login for the finance system to cash up at the end of my shifts etc. I couldn't do that without being a Team leader so I don't know how they can not back pay me for a job I've clearly been doing?

Thanks for the response.
    Originally posted by PMJ88
    Speak to the area manager and ask why it wasnt approved. Its not right and you have every right to be annoyed.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 18th Apr 17, 5:37 AM
    • 29,152 Posts
    • 17,434 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 18th Apr 17, 5:37 AM
    • 18th Apr 17, 5:37 AM
    since you became team leader and can cash up have the otther two managers dropped doing the close?

they may become more interested in paying up if they thing they will have to share all the closes again because you drop team leader.

if they have dropped out of close are they leaving the place without an acting licensee or did you get your Personal Licence or have thye issued the appropriate authority to all staff?
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 18th Apr 17, 9:03 AM
    • 18,586 Posts
    • 18,842 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    • 18th Apr 17, 9:03 AM
    • 18th Apr 17, 9:03 AM
    I do think you have to take SOME responsibility for this though. Who on earth asks for a pay rise and then doesn't check their payslips to see whether it's been implemented?
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 18th Apr 17, 9:31 AM
    • 1,703 Posts
    • 2,485 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • 18th Apr 17, 9:31 AM
    • 18th Apr 17, 9:31 AM
    Where is "it wasn't approved" coming from? The only mention of approved is that he was told it had been approved.

It sounds to me far more like neither manager actually pushed the change through. The new area manager has agreed a pay rise but are not going to backdate it because it's the first they have heard of it.
    • PMJ88
    • By PMJ88 18th Apr 17, 1:22 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    PMJ88
    • 18th Apr 17, 1:22 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 1:22 PM
    I do take responsibility for not checking, I said as much in my original post but I reckoned that 30p an hour would only have made about £1.50 a shift difference for me so I just hadn't thought anything was out of the ordinary.

I know I shouldn't have taken it at face value. My question is really do you think I have a point? I have been doing the job, so should be paid accordingly? Regardless of whether she knew nothing about it before now, it'd be easy and cheap for her to fix.

In answer to some of the questions, yes if I don't do the closes then the two other managers have to do it. I do four a week so it would make a difference to them for sure! The Manager lives upstairs so is always on site, I don't have a Personal License no.

I do appreciate your responses.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,536Posts Today

9,244Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin