Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 17th Apr 17, 9:56 PM
    • 2,602Posts
    • 414Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Buying a garden shed (possibly online)?
    • 17th Apr 17, 9:56 PM
    Buying a garden shed (possibly online)? 17th Apr 17 at 9:56 PM
    I've reluctantly come to accept that we're going to have to have a wooden shed rather than the block built one i want as it'll simply take too long to save for a block built shed.
    The current one is approx 9ft-x-7ft & i'll be looking at about a 12ft-x-11ft. Would've been a tad bigger for block but for timber i'll go 12x11.

Has anyone here used any online shed builder websites & can either rate or slate them?

Also can anyone offer any pointers, things to look out for or include etc that i may not think of? The base too?

We'll be storing a couple of bikes in there, power washer, a big jumbo bag of kindling, i'd want to store a tool chest in there, depending on how much weight it could take & whether that'd be an ok/bad idea.
    I've seen the father in law's shed he got & one thing i noticed was that i'd like to have some sort of insulation but don't know whether this would present its own problems or not. Whatever thickness i could have & then ply boards on top maybe. Maybe insulation also at the roof & board this out also perhaps, or maybe that'd be overkill.

If you can't already tell - i'm clueless

Page 2
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 20th Apr 17, 10:56 AM
    • 2,602 Posts
    • 414 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Where would anyone get fence posts that long? He must have used constructional timber. The chance of it being damaged in high winds would be so much greater too.

There will be some dampness in any shed which isn't heated, regardless of construction material. I have some dampness in my block built barn which originates in the air. Condensation from the air will happen more in stone/block buildings, which hold onto the cold longer when the surrounding air heats up, resulting in water vapour condensing on the cold surfaces.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    He put it together himself. I haven't measured but I think the wooden posts look about 6x6. If not then 4x4 as a minimum.
    There are no traditional type panels. He's just got a load of lengths of timber & nailed them to.

Personally I love how high it is. I'm just happy his kids can't irritate me any longer

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

534Posts Today

4,248Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin