Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Carnmore
    • By Carnmore 17th Apr 17, 7:37 PM
    • 20Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Carnmore
    Dehydrator for nuts and seeds
    • 17th Apr 17, 7:37 PM
    Dehydrator for nuts and seeds 17th Apr 17 at 7:37 PM
    Can anyone recommend a dehydrator for nuts and seeds?

I'm looking for a horizontal (shelves) type with stainless steel shelves and a timer which dehydrates as quickly as possible.

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 18th Apr 17, 6:42 AM
    • 12,159 Posts
    • 33,088 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:42 AM
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:42 AM
    I've never come across one with stainless steel shelves I'm afraid. Doesnt mean to say they dont exist - they might do.

Personally - I've got the Excalibur dehydrator and use that for everything. I've not yet tried dehydrating nuts in it I admit - but wouldn't expect a problem with doing so. I'd just put the flexible silicon-y type sheets I have for it onto the mesh shelves to provide a surface the nuts wouldnt fall through.
    Freedom of speech - the highest value we have.
    • Pop Up Pirate
    • By Pop Up Pirate 18th Apr 17, 7:55 AM
    • 678 Posts
    • 1,563 Thanks
    Pop Up Pirate
    • 18th Apr 17, 7:55 AM
    • 18th Apr 17, 7:55 AM
    Can anyone recommend a dehydrator for nuts and seeds?

I'm looking for a horizontal (shelves) type with stainless steel shelves and a timer which dehydrates as quickly as possible.

Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by Carnmore
    No, but just use the oven on minimum.

Most nuts and seeds are already dehydrated when bought,, unless raw. Are you soaking raw nuts?
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 18th Apr 17, 8:41 AM
    • 12,159 Posts
    • 33,088 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 18th Apr 17, 8:41 AM
    • 18th Apr 17, 8:41 AM
    I'm taking it that OP wants to "activate" the nuts - think that was the word I want?

It's on my "to do" list to try that out at some point too.

I'm never quite sure about the idea of using an oven on minimum setting to dry anything personally - though I might be able to now that I have a new oven (as it goes down as low as 50C). My previous oven didnt go down very low (think it was 80C - which is higher than the highest of my dehydrator settings).

Pleasing thought time of the day - I'll now be able to use my current oven to some extent for dehydrating - as it covers about half the temperature settings of my dehydrator.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 18-04-2017 at 8:44 AM.
    Freedom of speech - the highest value we have.
    • Carnmore
    • By Carnmore 18th Apr 17, 3:18 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Carnmore
    • 18th Apr 17, 3:18 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 3:18 PM
    Thanks for the replies. Yes, it's to activate nuts and seeds (soaking then dehydrating). The nuts and seeds would no longer be raw with oven drying due to the minimum setting being 90C ( needs to be 45C). I've looked at the Excalibur but they're quite expensive
    • kittie
    • By kittie 18th Apr 17, 3:21 PM
    • 10,496 Posts
    • 55,204 Thanks
    kittie
    • 18th Apr 17, 3:21 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 3:21 PM
    I dry nuts to use in eg almond milk or to eat dry. I activate the nuts by first soaking in water for 24 hours or longer until I see the root start to grow (sprouting) and the nutrients become enhanced and available, the phytic acid is removed and they become easy to digest. To keep the nutrients, I dehydrate on a low setting for as long as they need, a high temperature kills off the nutrients and if drying at a higher temperature, you might as well use the oven

My dehydrator is excalibur
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,267Posts Today

7,792Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter poll 2: following on, which of these professions would you trust least if you were using their services?

• Today's Twitter poll: Which of these professions would you trust most if you were using their services?

• RT @ctsi_uk: Section 75 credit card protection may fail due to payment processing loophole - shoppers beware @MartinSLewis https://t.co/8uQ?

• Follow Martin