Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Frith
    • By Frith 17th Apr 17, 5:18 PM
    • 4,381Posts
    • 36,805Thanks
    Frith
    Printer woes :-(
    • 17th Apr 17, 5:18 PM
    Printer woes :-( 17th Apr 17 at 5:18 PM
    If anyone can help me connect my laptop to our wireless printer, they can share the remnants of my Easter egg!

It's a Canon printer - MX495 and an ancient Toshiba laptop. I should know what variation of Windows is on it, but I don't...

If I try to print, the printing joins a queue and a "printer offline" messages is there constantly.

Printer is connected to the wireless router but we do not have a cable so can't connect that way.

It took me a good hour to connect the NowTV box to the new router this morning so any help with the printer would be appreciated.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
Page 1
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 17th Apr 17, 5:30 PM
    • 1,391 Posts
    • 2,115 Thanks
    Robisere
    • 17th Apr 17, 5:30 PM
    • 17th Apr 17, 5:30 PM
    Are you running Windows 7 on the 'ancient' Toshiba laptop? Or have you managed to get 10 onto it? There may be compatability issues. If not, I found this on the Canon website, rather a long link but should help:

https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/pixma_printer_wireless_connection_setup/pixma_mx495_wireless_connection_setup/

You may have to uninstall any previous setup programme from your Toshiba lappy, before using the link to set it all up again. What model of laptop is it?
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• Frith
    • By Frith 17th Apr 17, 5:35 PM
    • 4,381 Posts
    • 36,805 Thanks
    Frith
    • 17th Apr 17, 5:35 PM
    • 17th Apr 17, 5:35 PM
    It's a Satellite C660D.

I've found the cable but still nothing so I'll follow your link.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • Frith
    • By Frith 17th Apr 17, 5:37 PM
    • 4,381 Posts
    • 36,805 Thanks
    Frith
    • 17th Apr 17, 5:37 PM
    • 17th Apr 17, 5:37 PM
    Ah, I've followed that link before and that's what got the printer talking to the wireless router.

That's ok now but the laptop IS connected to the printer but I just get this "printer offline" message.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 17th Apr 17, 6:59 PM
    • 1,391 Posts
    • 2,115 Thanks
    Robisere
    • 17th Apr 17, 6:59 PM
    • 17th Apr 17, 6:59 PM
    I have looked up your laptop on the Toshiba site:
    http://www.toshiba.co.uk/discontinued-products/satellite-c660d-19x/

It appears to have no wireless capability, there is no mention of a wireless card or drivers under "Product Specifications". When you say you 'connect' it to the printer, how are you actually trying to connect? You also say: -

" Ah, I've followed that link before and that's what got the printer talking to the wireless router. "

I understand how the printer could talk to the router, they are both wireless-enabled, but the laptop is not. Therefore you will not be able to connect the laptop to the printer wirelessly. You may be able to connect the printer to the laptop directly by using a USB cable, if the printer has a USB port.

There may also be an option within your router's webpage, to connect the printer to the router, if the router has a USB port and this function can be enabled.

Without any of these possibilities, I am afraid that you cannot use the printer with the laptop. Consider buying a newer laptop. There are outlets which sell refurbished laptops at reasonable prices. Sorry to give you bad news!

EDIT: A thought has ocurred to me: can you connect the printer to the laptop by Ethernet cable? That should be possible if the printer has an Ethernet connection socket, but I would advise uninstalling the printer from the laptop before trying that. Windows will recognise the printer and actually install the latest drivers. Also, your laptop has Windows 7, from the link above.
    Last edited by Robisere; 17-04-2017 at 7:06 PM.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 17th Apr 17, 10:03 PM
    • 8,029 Posts
    • 6,059 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 17th Apr 17, 10:03 PM
    • 17th Apr 17, 10:03 PM
    Add a new network printer in windows and tell it the ip address of the printer,
    http://www.msl.ubc.ca/it-support/printing/install-printer-win7
    I would also set the printer to have a static ip address to save grief later when it gets a new lease from the router and possibly a new IP address.
    You don't need a usb cable at all and Windows 7 should find the printer
    Last edited by debitcardmayhem; 17-04-2017 at 10:18 PM.
    • J B
    • By J B 18th Apr 17, 6:45 PM
    • 2,109 Posts
    • 669 Thanks
    J B
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:45 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:45 PM
    I have one of those printers, but sadly, I have been to sleep several times since I installed it sorry

I *think* that I used Control Panel / Devices & Printers / Add a new Printer and sort of bumbled my way along from there .............
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

161Posts Today

1,111Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • As I've said before - energy price cap sounds good, and will likely be popular, but there's a big risk of making th? https://t.co/ubeV9vnmU7

• Just seen @IvoGraham doing stand up in a comedy club. Superb, witty, self depricating, clever stuff. Go see him if you get the chance

• RT @ChrissyNunn: New one from @Tesco today.. "The sale of Goods Act is just legislation, it's like a guideline, it's not law" @MartinSLewis?

• Follow Martin