Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 17th Apr 17, 4:56 PM
    • 2,314Posts
    • 356Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Postage cost
    • 17th Apr 17, 4:56 PM
    Postage cost 17th Apr 17 at 4:56 PM
    I might be wrong here but i think in the past postal costs have gone up around March/April.

I have some things i really need to throw on eBay, or Gumtree or whatever but i don't want to be caught out by any hikes in postage.

Have they already happened, are they due?

Page 1
    • steveE2
    • By steveE2 17th Apr 17, 5:16 PM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 1,066 Thanks
    steveE2
    • 17th Apr 17, 5:16 PM
    • 17th Apr 17, 5:16 PM
    Already happened 27th March
    • soolin
    • By soolin 17th Apr 17, 5:18 PM
    • 59,076 Posts
    • 41,869 Thanks
    soolin
    • 17th Apr 17, 5:18 PM
    • 17th Apr 17, 5:18 PM
    I might be wrong here but i think in the past postal costs have gone up around March/April.

I have some things i really need to throw on eBay, or Gumtree or whatever but i don't want to be caught out by any hikes in postage.

Have they already happened, are they due?
    Originally posted by JustAnotherSaver
    GOogle really is your friend for RM prices;
    http://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/files/Royal-Mail-Our-Prices-March-2017_0.pdf

Prices from 27th March 2017
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 17th Apr 17, 8:37 PM
    • 2,314 Posts
    • 356 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    • 17th Apr 17, 8:37 PM
    • 17th Apr 17, 8:37 PM
    That'll do me.

Time to get listing.

Thanks.

• cracker_jack
    • By cracker_jack 20th Apr 17, 5:42 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    cracker_jack
    • 20th Apr 17, 5:42 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 5:42 PM
    Prices went down for me.

Used to cost me £3.95 to post item recorded.

Then it dropped down to £3.90 in march.

And now I don't use recorded anymore as standard parcel delivery has online confirmation so it's dropped further down to £2.90.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 20th Apr 17, 8:38 PM
    • 59,076 Posts
    • 41,869 Thanks
    soolin
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:38 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:38 PM
    Prices went down for me.

Used to cost me £3.95 to post item recorded.

Then it dropped down to £3.90 in march.

And now I don't use recorded anymore as standard parcel delivery has online confirmation so it's dropped further down to £2.90.
    Originally posted by cracker_jack
    Prices did not go down, you were probably mistaken about what you were paying before the rise in March 2017. There was a difference between buying online and buying at a PO, from memory that was only 5p though. Buying from a PO before March a small parcel (not signed for ) was £2.85 and it is now £2.90. Signed for adds an additional £1.10 to the price.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • cracker_jack
    • By cracker_jack 20th Apr 17, 9:59 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    cracker_jack
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:59 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:59 PM
    Prices did not go down, you were probably mistaken about what you were paying before the rise in March 2017. There was a difference between buying online and buying at a PO, from memory that was only 5p though. Buying from a PO before March a small parcel (not signed for ) was £2.85 and it is now £2.90. Signed for adds an additional £1.10 to the price.
    Originally posted by soolin
    I was paying £3.95 recorded second class, after 27th March 2017 it became £3.90 so for me prices did go down.

I even used this site to check http://postageestimator.ebay.co.uk/ prices before and after March 2017 and it went from £3.95 down to £3.90.

The person who served me at the post office also confirmed prices for my packages were lower by 5p due to the changes.

All purchases were made at post office. I have a spreadsheet of all my postage costs so I'm pretty sure I'm not mistaken.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 21st Apr 17, 8:08 AM
    • 59,076 Posts
    • 41,869 Thanks
    soolin
    • 21st Apr 17, 8:08 AM
    • 21st Apr 17, 8:08 AM
    I stand partly corrected, it appears that whilst I am correct and small parcels have gone up in price from £2.85 in 2016 to £2.90 in 2017, the signed for element has reduced. I hadn't noticed that!

So a signed for parcel in 2016 was £3.95 and now it is £3.90, so signed for on parcels has reduced by 10p overall.

Well I never
    New to Forum? Guide
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 21st Apr 17, 9:00 AM
    • 3,083 Posts
    • 1,790 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 21st Apr 17, 9:00 AM
    • 21st Apr 17, 9:00 AM
    Royal Mail were clearly responding to the budget couriers. But the critical change being the delivery confirmation on small parcels. Is there any difference in compensation? Because it's actually worth sending a very heavy large letter in a big box to get delivery confirmation rather than sending it signed for.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 21st Apr 17, 10:37 AM
    • 4,345 Posts
    • 3,741 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    Royal Mail were clearly responding to the budget couriers. But the critical change being the delivery confirmation on small parcels. Is there any difference in compensation? Because it's actually worth sending a very heavy large letter in a big box to get delivery confirmation rather than sending it signed for.
    Originally posted by ballisticbrian
    I sent a large letter as a small parcel to get tracking and it worked no problem.
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 21st Apr 17, 3:54 PM
    • 5,371 Posts
    • 6,037 Thanks
    lovinituk
    I sent a large letter as a small parcel to get tracking and it worked no problem.
    Originally posted by mrcol1000
    I need to look at the figures for this. Is there a point where a standard packet with delivery confirmation is cheaper than a Large Letter sent Signed For?
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 21st Apr 17, 4:17 PM
    • 3,083 Posts
    • 1,790 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    I need to look at the figures for this. Is there a point where a standard packet with delivery confirmation is cheaper than a Large Letter sent Signed For?
    Originally posted by lovinituk
    Yes, that's what I'm talking about, but no-where can I see anything about what compensation you would get on standard mail with no insurance but delivery confirmation. Maybe the old book-of-stamps?
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 21st Apr 17, 4:18 PM
    • 59,076 Posts
    • 41,869 Thanks
    soolin
    Originally posted by lovinituk
    It's only cheaper for 2nd class large letters over 500g, below that signed for is cheaper, and of course you get up to £50 comp as well.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 21st Apr 17, 4:23 PM
    • 5,371 Posts
    • 6,037 Thanks
    lovinituk
    but no-where can I see anything about what compensation you would get on standard mail with no insurance but delivery confirmation. Maybe the old book-of-stamps?
    Nothing by the looks of it...

http://www.royalmail.com/delivery-confirmation-2016-thank-you

Scroll down to the little table on the right - there is a cross next to Inclusive Compensation.
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 21st Apr 17, 4:25 PM
    • 5,371 Posts
    • 6,037 Thanks
    lovinituk
    It's only cheaper for 2nd class large letters over 500g, below that signed for is cheaper, and of course you get up to £50 comp as well.
    Originally posted by soolin
    Thanks. Its actually around the 500-750g range that we tend to add Signed For on to Large Letters due to the value of the contents.

So now to decide whether to save a £1 and risk no compo!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,844Posts Today

8,575Users online

Martin's Twitter