Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Doglover12
    • By Doglover12 17th Apr 17, 4:29 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Doglover12
    can i reclaim on old store & cc defaulted on?
    • 17th Apr 17, 4:29 PM
    can i reclaim on old store & cc defaulted on? 17th Apr 17 at 4:29 PM
    just wondering whether anyone can give me advice please?

I got into a lot of trouble debt wise some 10-12 years ago. I had a huge Debenhams store card debt which I had a ccj on & whilst it's now off my credit file I am still paying this off with approx £1000 left to pay to a debt recovery company. Would I be able to try and reclaim ppi on this? I have no paperwork tho. I'd be happy for any refund to pay off the debt

I also had numerous credit cards that ended up with defaults. Again all left my credit file now and all were paid off eventually through debt recovery companies. Can I reclaim on these?

The only thing I'm worried about is I remember I has old cards with capital one & tesco. No other work but now my credit file is clean again I now have new cards with them. Would reclaiming on old accounts have any effect on my new credit card accounts with the same companies?

Any advice on this would be great
Page 1
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 17th Apr 17, 4:33 PM
    • 35,522 Posts
    • 45,716 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 17th Apr 17, 4:33 PM
    • 17th Apr 17, 4:33 PM
    You dont reclaim. You make a complaint. Do you have a complaint about being missold and do you have any tangible proof to back up tour complaint.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • Doglover12
    • By Doglover12 17th Apr 17, 4:41 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Doglover12
    • 17th Apr 17, 4:41 PM
    • 17th Apr 17, 4:41 PM
    I was living with parents at the time. I had 12 months sick pay with my job
    • Agricolae
    • By Agricolae 18th Apr 17, 2:01 AM
    • 362 Posts
    • 189 Thanks
    Agricolae
    • 18th Apr 17, 2:01 AM
    • 18th Apr 17, 2:01 AM
    just wondering whether anyone can give me advice please?

I got into a lot of trouble debt wise some 10-12 years ago. I had a huge Debenhams store card debt which I had a ccj on & whilst it's now off my credit file I am still paying this off with approx £1000 left to pay to a debt recovery company. Would I be able to try and reclaim ppi on this? I have no paperwork tho. I'd be happy for any refund to pay off the debt

I also had numerous credit cards that ended up with defaults. Again all left my credit file now and all were paid off eventually through debt recovery companies. Can I reclaim on these?

The only thing I'm worried about is I remember I has old cards with capital one & tesco. No other work but now my credit file is clean again I now have new cards with them. Would reclaiming on old accounts have any effect on my new credit card accounts with the same companies?

Any advice on this would be great
    Originally posted by Doglover12
    There's nothing to stop you from making a complaint. Any PPI premiums you get back may be deducted from the debts rather than paid to you.

What kind of job did you have which paid you full pay for 12 months if you were on sick? It's pretty generous.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 18th Apr 17, 9:51 PM
    • 4,179 Posts
    • 2,330 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 18th Apr 17, 9:51 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 9:51 PM
    As above, the company can offset any refund against the debt if they didn't sell it on without the option to reclaim the debt.

Civil service (like NHS particularly) offers the best sick pay and 6 months full 6 half is considered exceptional, 12 months full would be remarkable

Complaints about old cards should not trigger any "revenge" from the companies no.
    • oddypsx
    • By oddypsx 19th Apr 17, 11:16 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    oddypsx
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:16 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:16 AM
    I got 12 months full paid sick leave when I worked in the chemical industry.
    Now on 6 month full 6 month half in the water industry.
    I wouldn't say it was exceptional.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 19th Apr 17, 7:53 PM
    • 4,179 Posts
    • 2,330 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 19th Apr 17, 7:53 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 7:53 PM
    Originally posted by oddypsx
    No it is exceptional, you're confusing a single anecdote from your life with somehow that being a blanket rule. Some firms may choose to offer that benefit, the vast vast vast majority offer SSP and it's extremely rare to get anything like 6 months full pay outside of the civil service
    • Agricolae
    • By Agricolae 20th Apr 17, 1:07 AM
    • 362 Posts
    • 189 Thanks
    Agricolae
    • 20th Apr 17, 1:07 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 1:07 AM
    Originally posted by oddypsx
    Wow that's very generous indeed. If that's the case it may well mean the PPI you were sold didn't offer any value for money. However because it's an unusually generous policy, be prepared to prove it if you complain.

Many jobs will pay minimal sick pay these days, especially if you have a limited length of service.
    • oddypsx
    • By oddypsx 20th Apr 17, 10:35 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    oddypsx
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:35 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:35 PM
    I would have thought most utilities have decent sick pay. They seem to have carried the policies through from when they went from nationalised to privatised, which would be a considerable number.
    Or perhaps I'm just lucky then.
    P.S 78 weeks redundancy and final salary pension just to rub it in.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

237Posts Today

1,226Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin