New Driver - Can't Get A Car - Lease?

Comments

• ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,677
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    Why not get something like a Toyota Aygo/Citroen C1 etc? They are about half the price. Obviously a lot smaller but also a lot cheaper if you are on DLA. Likewise insurance will cheaper also.

Have you tried getting a credit card? 0% on purchases for 12-18 months might also be an option.

Just be careful not to do too many credit checks otherwise you could harm your credit report.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,078
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Whilst we would all like to own a new car it is very expensive. It is not just the £190 lease payment you need to find. As a new driver insurance is likely to be £100 to £150 a month or more, servicing which will be a condition of the lease £250 a year say two tyres a year average £100. Don't believe the manufactures mpg claims. Petrol fiesta will get about 38 mpg if you are lucky so based on 10000 miles a year £1400 a year petrol. VED £12 a month.

So your £190 a month lease car is now costing you £497 a month.

Most new drivers have an accident in their first year due to inexperience so factor in your insurance excess say £500. So the £190 car is now costing you £539 a month

If you are struggling to pay current council tax at say £100 to £150 a month how are you going to pay 539 a month on a car.

You would be better off saving up to buy a £1000 second hand car outright. Allow up to £600 a year for tyres mot and maintenance if you are not mechanically minded. Monthly cost is now down to around £370.

Long term things don't get much better. Not including depreciation I pay around £250 a month for my motoring costs based of 13000 a year, reasonable insurance cost due to over 9 ears ncb and I do all my own servicing and repairs. That's about as cheap as it gets. Depreciation is around £750 a year on an older car.
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Nowt wrong with a £300 old banger. I bought one as a stop-gap when my expensive car suffered a cost to much to fix engine failure.

The old banger ran faultlessly for 4 years and was only replaced as I had the funds available to do so.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,517
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    patman99 wrote: »
    Nowt wrong with a £300 old banger. I bought one as a stop-gap when my expensive car suffered a cost to much to fix engine failure.

The old banger ran faultlessly for 4 years and was only replaced as I had the funds available to do so.

I have an emergency car fund with £1k in it, saves me having to add the hire car option to my insurance and just in case we are not at home and need transport.

I would be looking at spending much less though and the rest to service it properly.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• missile
    missile Posts: 11,684
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    OP - Just seen your other posts today on another board:
    There are more important things to spend your money on than a car....

Good spot. :rotfl:
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • IIKazzII
    IIKazzII Posts: 20
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    OP - Just seen your other posts today on another board:

There are more important things to spend your money on than a car....

If you have time to go view my other posts to try belittle me you need to get a life. If you read that post properly you'll find that I got into that situation not due to being a dreg, but situational error with disabled son having a rough time etc. If your going to try belittle me, at least do it properly. I'll note this down as an epic fail on your part. Find something else to do or move on.

Back ON TOPIC:

I can't afford a car outright as I have no savings, hence needing the finance, I can easily pay the loan, my council tax situation (not that it matters) ends in 6 weeks, so I wont be paying those at all anymore. Income is around £3000 per month. Looking at around £200 a month to spend on a car (not including insurance etc). Just wondered if anyone had good experience (or suggested) leasing. A friend suggested it, but since that more of my friends have said its a waste of time?
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,517
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    IIKazzII wrote: »
    If you have time to go view my other posts to try belittle me you need to get a life. If you read that post properly you'll find that I got into that situation not due to being a dreg, but situational error with disabled son having a rough time etc. If your going to try belittle me, at least do it properly. I'll note this down as an epic fail on your part. Find something else to do or move on.

Back ON TOPIC:

I can't afford a car outright as I have no savings, hence needing the finance, I can easily pay the loan, my council tax situation (not that it matters) ends in 6 weeks, so I wont be paying those at all anymore. Income is around £3000 per month. Looking at around £200 a month to spend on a car (not including insurance etc). Just wondered if anyone had good experience (or suggested) leasing. A friend suggested it, but since that more of my friends have said its a waste of time?

No savings but you can easily afford the loan? Where will the £600 deposit come from if you have no savings?

You can afford £400 or so a month but have no savings?

£3000 a month on benefits? Does that include rent and council tax?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• photome
    photome Posts: 16,349
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite

Back ON TOPIC:

I dont think that post was trying to belittle you it was trying to understand your financial situation.

It does seem odd that you have no savings but then can afford £600 deposit and an ongoing sum of £x which will most likely be more than the £200 you have suggested when fuel and insurance are added on
  • loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    as a new driver your car is likely to suffer damage. With three kids your car is likely to suffer damage. A leased car will work out expensive.
    You can get a good car for around £1000 if you take your time and are careful that will do you well. You have managed without a car prior to passing your test so there seems to be no need to rush out and buy one.
    If your income is £3k a month you should not be in financial difficulty as you suggest you may be.
    Do you need to focus on managing your money better?
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,452
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite

Back ON TOPIC:

Sorry, but i cant recommend that you PCP / PCH / Lease a car when clearly you have money problems that arent yet bottomed out fully.

£600 ish would buy you a quite presentable car - I'd recommend a Ford Focus or if you need bigger, a Mondeo. You should get the petrol variants of those easily around that price.

Set aside the £190 a month for a year into a savings plan, use that to maintain the car as and when, and see what you're left with after a year. I'd say you'll have £2,000 left.

Get some savings behind you - your kids will manage just fine being driven about in an older car.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure