Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ian-d
    • By ian-d 17th Apr 17, 3:08 PM
    • 367Posts
    • 87Thanks
    ian-d
    Hargreaves Lansdown v Lloyds Share Dealing
    • 17th Apr 17, 3:08 PM
    Hargreaves Lansdown v Lloyds Share Dealing 17th Apr 17 at 3:08 PM
    Anyone made a comparison between the two, or prefer one over the other. Looking to use either/or for ISA investments. Fees appear similar depending on amount, HL charge 0.45% admin on the value of the holding, where as Lloyds is £20 per 6 months. There are no fund purchase charges with HL, but Lloyds charge (I think) £1.50. The funds I'm interested in are the same regardless, 0.22%, so it seems to come down to which is better to use, and maybe safer in terms of a place for my money?
Page 1
    • masonic
    • By masonic 17th Apr 17, 3:09 PM
    • 9,126 Posts
    • 6,273 Thanks
    masonic
    • 17th Apr 17, 3:09 PM
    • 17th Apr 17, 3:09 PM
    It will come down mostly to how much you have to invest. HL will be cheaper for smaller balances, but expensive for large ones.

Charles Stanley Direct vs iWeb would be a better pair to weigh up.
    • Audaxer
    • By Audaxer 17th Apr 17, 8:05 PM
    • 404 Posts
    • 166 Thanks
    Audaxer
    • 17th Apr 17, 8:05 PM
    • 17th Apr 17, 8:05 PM
    Anyone made a comparison between the two, or prefer one over the other. Looking to use either/or for ISA investments. Fees appear similar depending on amount, HL charge 0.45% admin on the value of the holding, where as Lloyds is £20 per 6 months. There are no fund purchase charges with HL, but Lloyds charge (I think) £1.50. The funds I'm interested in are the same regardless, 0.22%, so it seems to come down to which is better to use, and maybe safer in terms of a place for my money?
    Originally posted by ian-d
    If you are going to put a large amount into one fund (as I think your other post indicated) and not make many other trades you are best going for a fixed fee platform. I went for Halifax Share Dealing which only charges a £12.50 a year platform fee, and then £12.50 for each trade.
    • Malchester
    • By Malchester 18th Apr 17, 4:26 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Malchester
    • 18th Apr 17, 4:26 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 4:26 PM
    I was with Hargreaves Lansdown but they became very expensive however they were willing to do 'deals' with some investors to reduce the cost, but not me, so I went elsewhere and transferred my investment
    • ian-d
    • By ian-d 18th Apr 17, 5:34 PM
    • 367 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    ian-d
    • 18th Apr 17, 5:34 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 5:34 PM
    Thanks all, for now I've figured I will give HL a go on my LISA, because lets face it, there isn't many places you can house one, and the rates aren't significant on such small amounts. I am impressed with both their web and phone based software, so that is a good start. Does take them a few days to reply to messages though; should just phone them with queries!
    • masonic
    • By masonic 18th Apr 17, 7:05 PM
    • 9,126 Posts
    • 6,273 Thanks
    masonic
    • 18th Apr 17, 7:05 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 7:05 PM
    If you can build a portfolio from ETFs, investment trusts (and shares if needed), then your charges will be capped at a fairly reasonable level.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,337Posts Today

7,310Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin