Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 17th Apr 17, 3:05 PM
    • 7,299Posts
    • 1,656Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Cat help request
    • 17th Apr 17, 3:05 PM
    Cat help request 17th Apr 17 at 3:05 PM
    We have 2 cats - 13 and 14 years old - the (slightly) older one "lost" his sister, 7 years ago and changed, virtually overnight to an extemely needy feline -he started following my wife around the house like a lost puppy and never EVER stays in a room on his own !!

He wakes up at 3am (at the latest) EVERY morning and demands to be fed and let out (cat flap IS left open 24/7) - vocally and physically (he claws the bed) - he is fit and well - but had part of his THYROID removed, 3 years ago but still eats constantly - the vet has done every test going on him - but nothing is detected !!
    He is a slightly overweight 13 lbs but is a big build cat !
    We have tried feliway numerous times with no effect noticed
    We have tried "special" food - but he is extremely picky with the food that he will eat
    He also "finds" food at neighbours
    What else can we try ?
    Last edited by 50Twuncle; 17-04-2017 at 3:11 PM.
Page 1
    • krlyr
    • By krlyr 17th Apr 17, 4:07 PM
    • 5,722 Posts
    • 11,806 Thanks
    krlyr
    • 17th Apr 17, 4:07 PM
    • 17th Apr 17, 4:07 PM
    Difficult one - have you tried a timed feeder to feed him just before 3am, perhaps?
    • adandem
    • By adandem 17th Apr 17, 5:17 PM
    • 3,357 Posts
    • 4,562 Thanks
    adandem
    • 17th Apr 17, 5:17 PM
    • 17th Apr 17, 5:17 PM
    He's obviously established a routine, I suppose the only way you will stop him from expecting attention at 3am is to stop giving it? Your cat has learnt that if he's vocal and physical he gets what he wants.
    You could try interacting and playing with him before bed time.
    I would only give treats/attention when he is quiet and reward the behaviour you want to see.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 17th Apr 17, 5:26 PM
    • 7,299 Posts
    • 1,656 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 17th Apr 17, 5:26 PM
    • 17th Apr 17, 5:26 PM
    We have tried playing with him just before bedtime but it makes no difference at all
    He has got away with it for so long that he will not change now
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 17th Apr 17, 10:09 PM
    • 842 Posts
    • 1,413 Thanks
    rach_k
    • 17th Apr 17, 10:09 PM
    • 17th Apr 17, 10:09 PM
    I would try a timed feeder for fresh food (I think ours was only about £20 and it works really well), make sure the cat flap is open and also put a litter tray down inside just in case, then ignore him when he tries to wake you. If he's doing damage e.g. to furniture, I would quietly stop that but I wouldn't be engaging in 'discussion' with him about it! Just say no, stop him and get back in bed each time. He should learn eventually but if you give in he'll learn that you give in eventually so don't!
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 18th Apr 17, 8:00 AM
    • 7,299 Posts
    • 1,656 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 18th Apr 17, 8:00 AM
    • 18th Apr 17, 8:00 AM
    I would try a timed feeder for fresh food (I think ours was only about £20 and it works really well), make sure the cat flap is open and also put a litter tray down inside just in case, then ignore him when he tries to wake you. If he's doing damage e.g. to furniture, I would quietly stop that but I wouldn't be engaging in 'discussion' with him about it! Just say no, stop him and get back in bed each time. He should learn eventually but if you give in he'll learn that you give in eventually so don't!
    Originally posted by rach_k
    Tried all of that - no sucess - we think that it must be feline dementure !!
    he appears unable to remember anything! !
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 18th Apr 17, 10:59 AM
    • 6,916 Posts
    • 9,545 Thanks
    KxMx
    • 18th Apr 17, 10:59 AM
    • 18th Apr 17, 10:59 AM
    How long are you trying things for?
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 18th Apr 17, 11:03 AM
    • 7,299 Posts
    • 1,656 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 18th Apr 17, 11:03 AM
    • 18th Apr 17, 11:03 AM
    How long are you trying things for?
    Originally posted by KxMx
    Long enough - several weeks in the case of Feliway !
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 18th Apr 17, 12:12 PM
    • 664 Posts
    • 1,234 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    • 18th Apr 17, 12:12 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 12:12 PM
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    What sort of help are you hoping for then?
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 18th Apr 17, 4:35 PM
    • 7,163 Posts
    • 4,225 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Perhaps he has dementia, as I suspect the older of my two dogs (13 and 14) has.

He wants a walk one day, but next refuses to move, then howls because the other dog is taken out.

He wakes up in the night and used to prowl, but as his legs are getting weaker, now just cries to be lifted onto the bed.

When it's walk time, my husband has to take him out on the front, while I walk the other dog. He does toilet, but then walks in circles until we are back.

He is content, eats his food and takes interest if any is about, but spends a lot of time sleeping.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 18th Apr 17, 4:42 PM
    • 4,514 Posts
    • 9,434 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    At his age if he has been allowed to this this so a long time it is unfair to expect him to change now. If you wanted to stop this behaviour then the time to do so was when it first started.

Think of things that you can do to make it easier for you to manage this, I don't have a cat flap so had no choice to let cat(s) around 5am (never looked at the clock) was a popular time here. I would go downstairs as soon a the noise started half asleep (didn't even bother to put my glasses on) door open/shut then straight up back to bed again, I got used to it and it didn't take me long to get back to sleep again.
    Sealed pot challenge ~ 10 #017
    Declutter 2017 items in 2017 - 78/2017

• 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 18th Apr 17, 4:52 PM
    • 7,299 Posts
    • 1,656 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    What sort of help are you hoping for then?
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    Advice as to whether he has dementia more whether cats do get dementia !!
    • custardy
    • By custardy 18th Apr 17, 5:00 PM
    • 31,904 Posts
    • 26,628 Thanks
    custardy
    Advice as to whether he has dementia more whether cats do get dementia !!
    A quick google would have covered that

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=opera&q=cat+demtia&sourceid=opera&ie =UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
    • helcat26
    • By helcat26 19th Apr 17, 8:54 AM
    • 964 Posts
    • 2,482 Thanks
    helcat26
    Hi
    Sorry you are having a cat crisis.
    Our cat went from sleeping through at night to nocturnal and needy (following me around the house) after she was ill earlier this year.
    I mentioned to the vet that despite the fact that she had a cat flap, she preferred to get me and ask for the door to be opened by stretching up to the handle with her paws.
    He said that he thought she had got the virus that made her sick by being bitten by something, and wanted me to open the door as a guard or to scare things away.
    Following this advice I put the outdoor lights on round the back of the house now so that she can see that all is clear and this has helped.
    She is still needy and comes to check that we are there during the night (no point in shutting her out as she digs under the door) but I am training myself not to get up just stroking her head and telling her to shush. I think she is getting better.

Could your cat have had a similar fright?
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 19th Apr 17, 9:08 AM
    • 7,299 Posts
    • 1,656 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Hi
    Sorry you are having a cat crisis.
    Our cat went from sleeping through at night to nocturnal and needy (following me around the house) after she was ill earlier this year.
    I mentioned to the vet that despite the fact that she had a cat flap, she preferred to get me and ask for the door to be opened by stretching up to the handle with her paws.
    He said that he thought she had got the virus that made her sick by being bitten by something, and wanted me to open the door as a guard or to scare things away.
    Following this advice I put the outdoor lights on round the back of the house now so that she can see that all is clear and this has helped.
    She is still needy and comes to check that we are there during the night (no point in shutting her out as she digs under the door) but I am training myself not to get up just stroking her head and telling her to shush. I think she is getting better.

Could your cat have had a similar fright?
    Originally posted by helcat26
    He lost his sister, 7 years ago - she disappeared one day - we never found out how, never found a body - but he changed soon after this - is it possible that he saw her get pinched, die or whatever happened to take her away from us ?
    if so - would it stay with him for so long ?
    • Pop Up Pirate
    • By Pop Up Pirate 19th Apr 17, 10:22 AM
    • 677 Posts
    • 1,567 Thanks
    Pop Up Pirate
    We have 2 cats - 13 and 14 years old - the (slightly) older one "lost" his sister, 7 years ago and changed, virtually overnight to an extemely needy feline -he started following my wife around the house like a lost puppy and never EVER stays in a room on his own !!

He wakes up at 3am (at the latest) EVERY morning and demands to be fed and let out (cat flap IS left open 24/7) - vocally and physically (he claws the bed) - he is fit and well - but had part of his THYROID removed, 3 years ago but still eats constantly - the vet has done every test going on him - but nothing is detected !!
    He is a slightly overweight 13 lbs but is a big build cat !
    We have tried feliway numerous times with no effect noticed
    We have tried "special" food - but he is extremely picky with the food that he will eat
    He also "finds" food at neighbours
    What else can we try ?
    Ignoring him?
    The cat wants feeding at 3am, and you do so, thereby setting his internal feeding clock to 3am. The more you do it, the more he wants it.

Close the bedroom door and if he scratches it, ignore it. And feed him at a more appropriate time.

He is a cat. Cats adapt and he is unlikely to be suffering from dementia due to losing another cat 7 years ago.
    Last edited by Pop Up Pirate; 19-04-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,191Posts Today

8,151Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @EmmaDark30: @MartinSLewis off on holiday next month all paid for with free cash for switching bank accounts! Thank you!

• MSE weekly email: Big Energy Switch 7, £5 Next/Zara etc, buy euros now?, 10xNectar, 2for1 gardens, urgent easyjet https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Today's Twitter poll 2: following on, which of these professions would you trust least if you were using their services?

• Follow Martin