Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • steve_gb
    • By steve_gb 17th Apr 17, 1:38 PM
    • 49Posts
    • 10Thanks
    steve_gb
    0 WOW
    Moroccan Dirham Available on pre paid card
    • 17th Apr 17, 1:38 PM
    0 WOW
    Moroccan Dirham Available on pre paid card 17th Apr 17 at 1:38 PM
    We are travelling to 3 destinations this year, Portugal USA and Morocco I am ok sorting a card out for Europe and the USA but what is the best option for Moroccan Dirham?? Ideally I: would like 1 card to cover all 3 currencies. not really bothered about a top deal its more a suitability issue.
    Thanks in Advance
    Steve
    question:
    Steve_gb

Debt free apart from mortgage have a few investments and saving for retirement
Page 1
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 17th Apr 17, 2:18 PM
    • 29,209 Posts
    • 18,440 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 17th Apr 17, 2:18 PM
    • 17th Apr 17, 2:18 PM
    Halifax Clarity if you can get one.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 17th Apr 17, 2:46 PM
    • 2,307 Posts
    • 970 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 17th Apr 17, 2:46 PM
    • 17th Apr 17, 2:46 PM
    The best value prepaid cards hold your money in pounds and only convert (to any currency) when you use them. Such as Monzo, Loot, Revolut (also holds EUR/USD).
    • steve_gb
    • By steve_gb 19th Apr 17, 7:39 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    steve_gb
    • 19th Apr 17, 7:39 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 7:39 AM
    surely thats the same as carrying cash which can be exchanged for better rates in Morocco? I am looking for a pre paid card to switch currencies to rather than take my Amex or barclaycard which will have highly inflated exchange rates
    Last edited by steve_gb; 19-04-2017 at 7:47 AM.
    Steve_gb

Debt free apart from mortgage have a few investments and saving for retirement
    • travelman86
    • By travelman86 19th Apr 17, 9:15 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    travelman86
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:15 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:15 AM
    When I went to Morocco last year it was a considered a closed currency - you can take very little in, and very little out (you exchange everything you have left at a decent rate at the airport).

You can buy pre-paid cards at the airport on arrival that will give you ability to withdraw at cash machines around the country. Any balance remaining will be exchanged back at the airport on return.

Hope this helps.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 19th Apr 17, 9:44 AM
    • 2,307 Posts
    • 970 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:44 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:44 AM
    surely thats the same as carrying cash which can be exchanged for better rates in Morocco? I am looking for a pre paid card to switch currencies to rather than take my Amex or barclaycard which will have highly inflated exchange rates
    Originally posted by steve_gb
    If you take a look at the cards I mentioned you will see that their straight MasterCard or interbank rates will be better than exchanging cash anywhere, and without the fees of using your regular cards. Outside Morocco you will not find a card that can hold dirhams, and as I said, there is no need to convert currencies beforehand.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 19th Apr 17, 10:28 AM
    • 6,965 Posts
    • 3,831 Thanks
    martindow
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:28 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:28 AM
    I found that Moroccan cash machines never gave receipts for cash withdrawals which was alarming. The amounts on the bank statement always tallied, though. This was a few years ago so things may have improved ...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,797Posts Today

8,204Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin