Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pepperoni
    • By Pepperoni 17th Apr 17, 1:24 PM
    • 448Posts
    • 1,262Thanks
    Pepperoni
    Spare Tyre - how long can it be used for?
    • 17th Apr 17, 1:24 PM
    Spare Tyre - how long can it be used for? 17th Apr 17 at 1:24 PM
    I have a ford fiesta zetec and I'm awaiting a new alloy wheel as my other is punctured, thus tyres kept going flat. The spare tyre has been fitted in the meantime - it has no details on it other than a 80km/mph sticker. Does anyone know how long it's safe to drive on it for? Have read a lot about spare tyres only being suitable to get to / from garage etc, but it just seems like a normal tyre to me (minus the alloy part!).

Page 2
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 18th Apr 17, 8:37 AM
    • 15,430 Posts
    • 13,761 Thanks
    AdrianC
    The size of tyres is marked on each sidewall - something like 195/50 15.

What size are your normal tyres?
    What size is your spare?

The law says that both tyres on an axle have to be the same size. The one exception for that is if you have a "space-saver" spare that's intended for temporary use. That temporary use is generally defined as 50mph/50 miles.

If the spare is a "real" space-saver, much thinner than the normal tyres, then you really are best sticking to get-home use only.
    If the spare is a "proper" tyre, that just happens to be a little different in size, then you'll probably be fine for a few days until you can get the replacement, but I wouldn't be leaving on a continental touring holiday with it.
    • chrisw
    • By chrisw 18th Apr 17, 8:47 AM
    • 1,620 Posts
    • 884 Thanks
    chrisw
    Why not. The police officers have never heard this before and could use a laugh.
    Originally posted by Car 54
    Maybe, but no way of proving it though.
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 18th Apr 17, 1:09 PM
    • 2,967 Posts
    • 1,475 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    A full size spare would not have a maximum speed warning sticker attached, e.g. 80km/h or 50 m.p.h.. That picture is a space saver.
    This is Toyota's advice -
    "The compact spare tire The compact spare tire is identified by the label “TEMPORARY USE ONLY” on the tire sidewall. Use the compact spare tire temporarily, and only in an emergency. Make sure to check the tire inflation pressure of the compact spare tire. "(
    Inflation presure is usually 60p.s.i..

I certainly would not be risking a long or motorway journey with that fitted.
    Did you hear about the politician who had a backside transplant? It rejected him.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 18th Apr 17, 1:29 PM
    • 730 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    A full size spare would not have a maximum speed warning sticker attached, e.g. 80km/h or 50 m.p.h.. That picture is a space saver.
    This is Toyota's advice -
    "The compact spare tire The compact spare tire is identified by the label “TEMPORARY USE ONLY” on the tire sidewall. Use the compact spare tire temporarily, and only in an emergency. Make sure to check the tire inflation pressure of the compact spare tire. "(
    Inflation presure is usually 60p.s.i..

I certainly would not be risking a long or motorway journey with that fitted.
    Originally posted by oldagetraveller
    It's not a space saver, just a smaller steel rim.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 18th Apr 17, 2:01 PM
    • 15,430 Posts
    • 13,761 Thanks
    AdrianC
    It's not a space saver, just a smaller steel rim.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    Exactly. It doesn't match the other side on that end, ergo the only way it's legal is if it's viewed as a space-saver spare. With speed and distance restrictions.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 18th Apr 17, 2:23 PM
    • 730 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Exactly. It doesn't match the other side on that end, ergo the only way it's legal is if it's viewed as a space-saver spare. With speed and distance restrictions.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Distance won't be an issue as it's a proper rim and tyre, fiestas with steel wheels will have them fitted on all four corners.
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 18th Apr 17, 3:03 PM
    • 2,967 Posts
    • 1,475 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    "It's not a space saver, just a smaller steel rim."
    Which is exactly what a space saver is.
    So why does the o.p.'s have a speed restriction sticker attached?
    Also do their securing nuts/bolt have dual purpose fitting to cater for the taper of the steel wheel stud/bolt holes?
    Did you hear about the politician who had a backside transplant? It rejected him.
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 18th Apr 17, 3:10 PM
    • 2,880 Posts
    • 6,571 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    ....So if you get stopped and asked when you put it on, tell them about half hour ago and you're on the way to the hospital where your wife is giving birth to you first born. Or something along them lines.
    Originally posted by MisterP123
    I hope that is a joke as it is very poor advice.

If the police are in a bad mood, that could lead to all sorts of problems. It is just not worth taking the risk of lying when telling the truth will probably just result in being advised to drive carefully and get the tyre replaced as soon as possible.

Being pleasant, cooperative and telling the truth is usually the best policy when dealing with the Police.

...This, though, is really, really bad advice, ignore it:.....
    Originally posted by Robisere
    Agreed, it is very poor advice.
    Who'll remember the ones
    who only rode in them to die
    All their lives are just a smudge
    of smoke against the sky
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 18th Apr 17, 6:11 PM
    • 4,138 Posts
    • 3,624 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    ... the only way it's legal is if it's viewed as a space-saver spare. With speed and distance restrictions.
    Originally posted by AdrianC

With speed restriction (50mph as per construction and use regs) but there's no distance restriction.
    • mrmot
    • By mrmot 19th Apr 17, 4:22 AM
    • 186 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    mrmot
    Some manufacturers will stick a steel in as the spare if the car originally had alloy wheels and yet it will still have the warning sticker on the wheel (not the tyre), if the tyre size on the spare is the same as on the alloy, then you can use it for however long you want.

For the MOT, tyre sizes need to be same across an axle, however there is not a requirement for the wheel width to be the same.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 19th Apr 17, 7:08 AM
    • 11,622 Posts
    • 6,528 Thanks
    Strider590
    Some manufacturers will stick a steel in as the spare if the car originally had alloy wheels and yet it will still have the warning sticker on the wheel (not the tyre), if the tyre size on the spare is the same as on the alloy, then you can use it for however long you want.

For the MOT, tyre sizes need to be same across an axle, however there is not a requirement for the wheel width to be the same.
    Originally posted by mrmot
    Indeed, but the unsprung weight is different, which means the suspension and handling is adversely affected.

My neighbour has had two space savers fitted on diagonal corners for about 9 months. I don't know where the hell she got a second space saver, but i'm assuming it was cheaper than getting the correct tyres fixed/changed.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 19th Apr 17, 7:51 AM
    • 2,390 Posts
    • 1,553 Thanks
    Car 54

Originally posted by mrmot
    When I've cars with such a "full-size" spare, the alloy wheels have been fitted with low-profile (and expensive) tyres. The spare had a normal profile (and much cheaper) tyre.

Since the steel spare saves neither space nor weight, its only purpose must be to save the manufacturer money. It would then make little sense to fit it with an expensive low-profile tyre.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

477Posts Today

4,527Users online

Martin's Twitter