Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mishkanorman
    • By mishkanorman 17th Apr 17, 12:04 PM
    • 4,010Posts
    • 7,282Thanks
    mishkanorman
    Garage conversion help
    • 17th Apr 17, 12:04 PM
    Garage conversion help 17th Apr 17 at 12:04 PM
    Can anyone throw some advice at me regarding converting a garage, its a single garage detached from the main building which we would like to make into a bedroom&ensuite.

Obviously planning permission and building regs would come into the equations later on but for now I'd just like to know if its an option worth considering.

There is currently a flat roof on the garage, would we be able to block off the alleyway between the house and garage and turn that into a hallway with a flat roof ? Or would it be required to have a pitched roof ?

If anyone can throw some vague figures at me or things I need to investigate to see how possible I'd appreciate it, many thanks !
    Bow Ties ARE cool

"Just because you are offended, doesnt mean you are right" Ricky Gervais
Page 1
    • mishkanorman
    • By mishkanorman 19th Apr 17, 10:08 PM
    • 4,010 Posts
    • 7,282 Thanks
    mishkanorman
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:08 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:08 PM
    anyone ? I'll take rubbish advice
    Bow Ties ARE cool

• Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 19th Apr 17, 10:42 PM
    • 23,543 Posts
    • 65,666 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:42 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:42 PM
    We've no idea what it's made of, or how it would link to the house. We can't guess how the present garage would stand up to that.

You meed to look at PD rights - it may need planning permission to link together to the house as a side extension. Planners like pitched roofs, so that probably isn't an issue.

A normal garage conversion, done properly, might cost £10k - yours is firmly heading towards extension territory.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 19th Apr 17, 10:43 PM
    • 23,543 Posts
    • 65,666 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:43 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:43 PM
    It's mainly about how it's taken to comforming with building regs. That can't be assessed without some homework.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • ritesh
    • By ritesh 20th Apr 17, 3:20 AM
    • 342 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    ritesh
    • 20th Apr 17, 3:20 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 3:20 AM
    Hi,

I did a three garage conversion just over two years ago, converting it into one large garden office (approx 36m2).

It was a typical council garage with single skin brick wall and asbestos sloping flat roof.

Planning permission was required with change of use. With the aid of building inspector and structural engineer i introduced a new footing to create a cavity wall, increased the height and added a warm deck roof to it (finished with GRP). I also added skylights, bi-folding doors, ran electrics and CAT6 cable into it. Total cost for all the works was just under £18k. The main costs for me were the bi-folding doors, warm deck roof finished with GRP, insulation for floor and walls and the free flow screed on top of insulated floor. The running of electrics, CAT6, spot lights, sockets, flat panel electric heaters came to about £2.5k.

I could not insulate the walls from the outside due to the position of the garages plus I opted for a solid block cavity wall but you could also consider a timber stud wall instead, thus avoid crating new footings.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by ritesh; 20-04-2017 at 3:26 AM.
    "I think I spent 72.75% of my life last year in the office. I need a new job!!"
    • mishkanorman
    • By mishkanorman 21st Apr 17, 10:19 AM
    • 4,010 Posts
    • 7,282 Thanks
    mishkanorman
    • 21st Apr 17, 10:19 AM
    • 21st Apr 17, 10:19 AM
    Thanks for the replies,

Doesnt look like its going to be a feasible option now unfortunately !
    Bow Ties ARE cool

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,509Posts Today

7,531Users online

Martin's Twitter