Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Valli
    • By Valli 17th Apr 17, 9:14 AM
    • 20,135Posts
    • 228,748Thanks
    Valli
    Weekly Flylady Thread 17th April 2017
    • 17th Apr 17, 9:14 AM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 17th April 2017 17th Apr 17 at 9:14 AM
    Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. Its been lovely to see some de-lurkers and some newcomers; do please post even if it's just to say 'list completed'

Thank you Natty for last week's thread

It is your responsibility to read the forum rules, please follow them on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us.

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

ok Here goes this Week...

Bank Holiday Monday Bits and Bobs

No levels - pick and choose as appropriate/necessary or feel free to entirely ignore!

S&S bathroom

S&S kitchen

15 minutes fling frenzy...enlist the help of anyone and everyone. Issue bin bags and fling that junk/rubbish and clutter. Get all recycling out too. A straight/tidy home automatically looks cleaner and lifts the spirit!

Spend time with those you love.

Twinkly Tuesday kitchen and dining

Level 1
    Clear the sills and clean the windows - don'f forget glass in doors
    Clear the sides
    Wipe window sills and sides down
    Replace stuff - wipe it as you go

Level 2
    Wipe down cupboard fronts/doors - don't forget the handles
    Wipe table and chairs
    dust in dining room

Level 3 - wipe splashbacks
    Clean sink - don't forget UNDER the draining rack!
    Sweep/mop/vacuum floors

Extras
    IF you haven't done it recently go through herbs and spices. Fling OOD stuff
    Some flyladies keep a list taped to the inside of the cupboard - feel free to join us
    If the kiddies are off school enlist their help!
    If your spices are spic and span then pick another cupboard to sort.
    Make me time a priority - if littlies are taking up all your time plan something for when they're back at school

Wonderful Wednesday - reclaim your lounge

Level 1
    Open the windows
    empty bins
    remove gibble
    remove dead or wilting flowers

Level 2
    Dust everywhere - skirting boards, picture rails, dados, mantles
    etc
    Wipe and coasters to remove icky stickiness - and wipe light switches and sockets
    Vacuum or wipe sofas and seating

level 3
    Now take a CRITICAL look round - check for cobwebs
    Dust light fittings and wipe bulbs
    Finally clean the floor - mop or vacuum
    plump up the cushions
    make sure your lounge is a relaxing haven for you all

Extras
    S&S kitchen and bathroom(s)
    HHI - lets get that mountain conquered
    Make sure all food in your fridge is allocated a mealplan use.
    If your kiddies go back to school next week check PE kits is washed and ironed - and new bits named. Oh - and check footwear fits...you wont believe the number of kids who think the teacher can somehow solve THAT problem!
    Homework projects - are they done? started?
    Spend a sunny half hour in the garden - little weeds become big weeds!

Thursday - main bedroom

Level 1

Open the window
    strip bed
    remove gibble and garbage
    clear floordrobe/chairdrobe

Level 2

Make bed
    Dust everywhere
    wipe switches

Level 3
    vacuum floor (or mop)
    clean windows
    make sure your room is a clean calm space for quality sleep

extras
    sort some me time - manicure/pedicure/hair appointment
    HHI
    S%&S bathroom(s)
    S&S kitchn

Friday flourish - get fresh for the weekend
    Bathrooms/cloakrooms/en suites

Level 1
    Open windows
    Flush loo
    spray with cleaner of choice (I like cream cleaner)
    empty shower/bath side of lotions and potions
    remove washcloths and towels
    spray bath with cleaner

Level 2
    With HOT water and detergent wipe down shower screens
    Wipe shower scraper thing esp. rubber blade (they get grubby too)
    With bathroom sponge (or scrubbing brush) thoroughly wipe out bath/shower
    Wipe taps/shower head
    Dry and polish with dry m/f cloth
    Put stuff back
    Wipe pull cords

Level 3

Scrub loo
    wipe handbasin and taps
    Wipe outside of loo
    deal with floor
    put out new towels

extras
    wipe out cabinets
    chuck out anything dust-covered - it clearly isn't being used
    apply handcfream
    sit down with a and have a break

Last edited by Valli; 20-04-2017 at 7:51 PM.
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!
    DEBT ATTACK - Debts to attack 1-£6150.87 24/04/2017 £5303.03 22/07/2017 BT -
    £5342.65
    2 Virgin CC £585.88 31/7/2017 £494.88 11/8/2017
Page 2
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 17th Apr 17, 8:49 PM
    • 4,360 Posts
    • 35,399 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Lynne I agree - flylady sofa for you mi-lady and rest. Hope you feel better soon.

Have had a lovely weekend but the prospect of returning to "normal life" is making me feel very down.

Need to do both paid jobs tomorrow, should try and fit in the gym somewhere and the kitchen does need some attention. Just been doing some household admin, sorting some clean washing and packing bags for tomorrow. Oh, and I need to mealplan.

Catch up with you all tomorrow x
    • funfairprincess
    • By funfairprincess 18th Apr 17, 6:35 AM
    • 1,697 Posts
    • 34,728 Thanks
    funfairprincess
    Hi all x

Thanks to Valli and Natty for the thread xx

I've been AWOL but I have been doing my best to fly, but quite frankly my best isn't good enough!
    Just in to grab a list will be in after work
    Love, hugs, spoons and sticks to all those in need xxx
    I'm not a muggle...I'm just magically challenged
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 18th Apr 17, 8:20 AM
    • 4,075 Posts
    • 47,807 Thanks
    Jazee
    Morning all. Good luck to all returning to the paid stuff or school today. The schools don't go back till next week round here.

Today's plans:
    WUDUPA
    Hoover downstairs
    Walk dogs
    Pop to surgery for prescriptions
    Cut grass back and front
    Other gardening
    Walk dogs again

I may be getting my new to me car today if it's ready. Spanner is the works is that I pinged my back putting some undies on the radiator. How is that even possible? So I'll need to pace myself.

Have a great day everyone.
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! (#20) November £781.81 Total £11814.84/£12000

• ionafan
    • By ionafan 18th Apr 17, 8:20 AM
    • 2,246 Posts
    • 33,640 Thanks
    ionafan
    Morning all

Big (((hugs))) and GWS vibes to Lynne - take it easy for a while and take time to rebuild your strength.
    Big (((hugs))) to Dizzy too. Hope the phonecalls and text messages to your DH have had a positive effect.
    GWS vibes also to your DH, Natty. Men don't make good patients, do they?
    Valli, it's good that your b-i-l turned up after all (even if the chocs were OOD).

DH and I were out volunteering all day yesterday. He was on the heritage railway all day, as usual. I did 3.5 hours with the catering team followed immediately by 4 hours room guiding at 'my' NT property. The advantage is that I don't have to do many long days like that to clock up my minimum annual volunteer hours, and because the NT property is only a couple of miles from the station (but both are a half-hour's drive from home) I save on one journey time and we're in pocket with the petrol. I really enjoyed myself, but I was dead tired last night - definitely out of practice with full-on days! We're doing the same again tomorrow, but then no more for me until the May Day Bank Holiday Monday. Next week I'm back to college and also starting a 10-week p/t placement, which will leave me no spare time.

Today we have SW followed by a trip into town to sort out my 2017-18 ISA and regular savings account, taking DH with me to make sure that he also opens one of the latter.
    I must also
    - do WMx3 (one already started) and take advantage of today's beautiful weather to hang out.
    - fold and put away aired washing
    - S&S bathroom
    - S&S kitchen
    - coordinate diaries with DH and ensure that I have the date and time of DH's horse piddle appointments in May and June - for once he has been efficient and filed away the letter about the June appt which arrived while we were away, but without telling me all the details.
    - write several emails and make a number of long overdue phonecalls to friends and family
    - mow the lawn
    - tidy the yard area outside the back door to make more space in the sunny part
    - move a couple of slabs to fill the space occupied by the old wooden compost bin and make room for the new plastic one
    - shred cardboard ready for this year's compost
    - set up the two halves of the old bin to use as raised beds for veg
    - buy some grow bags and mix contents with last year's compost for the raised beds
    - start tidying the borders and finding spaces for the plants I bought on holiday

Catch up later...
    • Valli
    • By Valli 18th Apr 17, 8:42 AM
    • 20,135 Posts
    • 228,748 Thanks
    Valli
    have 3 loads on the line and have cleaned out the bunny hutch
    £5342.65
    • dancemum
    • By dancemum 18th Apr 17, 9:31 AM
    • 2,053 Posts
    • 29,993 Thanks
    dancemum
    Morning sorry I'm late.

Valli - Thank you for the list. Natty - Thank you for last week's one. X

ATB We did manage to go out whilst ds2 stayed with his befrienders. We went to a local garden centre to look around and have a cuppa. DH had cake. Thanks for asking X

Lynne How scarey. Hope you feel better soon. X

Iona Good luck at SW x

2 loads X wm out on whirly
    Ds1' "White" wm load soaked overnight and is now looking better.
    Ds2 decluttered to school

Off to parents to fly soon. See you all later x
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 18th Apr 17, 10:51 AM
    • 355 Posts
    • 4,176 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Good morning. Still school holidays here, so DD is just surfacing...then apparently wants to "take me" shopping
    I had a leisurely get-up which never seems to happen usually, as DH is back to work, and I didn't have to get up by any particular time. WM run and washing blowing nicely in the sunshine. Level 1 and 2 just about done in the kitchen, although sink and floor will wait until later. Work called to see if I was coming in, even though I had quite clearly said that I was out for the week......errr, no! I had a few guilty pangs, but trying to get over that now with a cuppa
    After the dreaded shopping, I hope to:
    plant the last few potatoes in potato sacks
    Pot up a few plants that are hanging around
    Sort out the winter jumpers that have seen better days or which quite frankly I just don't like.
    Sort out some old board games which DD says can go, but which I am guiity of hanging on to as they remind me of when she was little

First though off to strip our bed in the hope that I can get bedding washed and on the line.
    Have good days everyone.
    • loudmouth
    • By loudmouth 18th Apr 17, 12:36 PM
    • 232 Posts
    • 1,900 Thanks
    loudmouth
    Am I too late to join in for this week? I have been hiding the last couple of weeks due to high family demands. DD back at school today, DH back at work but I had little grandchild this morning whilst eldest daughter went to fat club!
    I have been shopping, put it away, two wash loads flapping in the garden and hoovered all downstairs. Going to throw some cleaner in the toilets then start some of today's list.
    God help us all till the 8 th of June ��
    • Dizzy Imp
    • By Dizzy Imp 18th Apr 17, 12:59 PM
    • 2,072 Posts
    • 18,866 Thanks
    Dizzy Imp
    Afternoon ladies

Lynne - definitely no flying for you! What a frightening time you've had! Sofa surfing for you, my lovely x

Would you please stop being so busy Iona - I get tired just reading your lists. In-fact I've got to have a sit down

No knicker pinging today please Jazee and enjoy your new car, lucky thing!

Been up since 6am but don't seem to have managed much off the list, although I've cleared and tidied my bedroom and given the bathroom a lick over, plus sorted out some washing.

My lovely NDN carried in the heavy dog food when my Asda delivery arrived which led to a conversation about the progress in the house and what we are planning to do next. I explained Im looking at getting a compressor and soda blasting kit to clean up all the timbers in a gentle, non-abrasive way, in accordance with the Heritage guidelines and he says his mate offered him an industrial sized compressor at the weekend, which we could try before committing to buy. New, it would be close to £1000

Very exciting!
    Womble No: 12 £3400.99 as at 5/4/2017
    Sealed pot challenge 2017 (#501)1/6/2016 = 10.12.2
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 18th Apr 17, 1:51 PM
    • 4,075 Posts
    • 47,807 Thanks
    Jazee
    Afternoon, I am about to take the dogs for second walk having mostly done what I'd planned including lots of gardening, not that you'd notice. Docs messed up prescriptions for both me and DH - he will not be happy when he gets home. I still have enough meds to last me the week.
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! (#20) November £781.81 Total £11814.84/£12000

• Valli
    • By Valli 18th Apr 17, 2:03 PM
    • 20,135 Posts
    • 228,748 Thanks
    Valli
    Been out this morning. Have come home and ironed ALL THE WASHING WHICH WAS ON THE LINE! Boom!
    Bunny hutch still drying.
    Going into town this afternoon...need to go to the cobblers for my shoes...for all my lovely labelled boxes!
    £5342.65
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 18th Apr 17, 2:13 PM
    • 36,117 Posts
    • 465,559 Thanks
    pigpen
    Well I bleached the highchair which had been put away dirty about 2.5 years ago... and cleaned the bath at the same time.. and the cat wee from the landing..

Then, I cleaned and unblocked the shower before I got in, and bleached the loo after Squeak had 'been' .. she has a poorly tum, nuff said! Then I used the excuse of the girls having sprinkled cake crumbs everywhere to eal with cat wardrobe behind the door.

I have a stinking cold as does Dot. Squeak has her poorly tum and noone wants to do a thing.

We did sneak to Ikea yesterday and I bought 21 storage boxes.. 15 pink trofast for the toy units and some lidded things for OH's comics, I am sick of seeing them all over the house.. so they can be boxed, labelled, lidded and lofted..

Stuff being shifted on ebeast.. Meems prom to pay for going for her dress Thursday hopefully.

Home tomorrow... god help those boys if my house is trashed when I get back... they were horrified when we went home a day early last time and saw the squalor.. Got to keep them guessing

OH not got the job he went for and nothing appears to be coming up.. hes applied for around 50-60 and had 2 interviews.. it's really just pointless.. in the meantime we have zero income.. again..
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    06/06/2017 £56823.12 (5.15% int.)
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 18th Apr 17, 2:58 PM
    • 9,924 Posts
    • 106,635 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Lynne OMG how very scary for you. Do like the others have said, rest and recuperate. *shuffles up to make room on the sofa*.
    DH did help yesterday, but he just turned it over (took about 15 minutes), but I have had to re-do all the bits he did. I can't complain though, otherwise he won't 'help' anymore!
    Originally posted by Goodintentions
    He's not related to Mr LW, is he?

This is a very quick post, as Ronnie is asking to go for a walk. Laters, folks.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • froddington
    • By froddington 18th Apr 17, 3:57 PM
    • 6,580 Posts
    • 92,991 Thanks
    froddington
    Hi everyone!

Lynne - take care of yourself. Sending gentle hugs and I hope you start to feel better soon xx

No flying for me as I'm still away - our days have been busy and tiring but I have seen and done some amazing things Quiet day tomorrow and then leaving Thursday lunchtime

Hugs for you all xx
    "There's only one way of life - and that's your own"
    Depression is not a sign of weakness;
    it's a sign you have been strong for too long
    MFW No.3 Mortgage OPs 2017 £2900
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 18th Apr 17, 3:58 PM
    • 9,352 Posts
    • 118,581 Thanks
    kazwookie
    2 x parcels posted
    Rolls bought for my lunches this week
    Patio has been power washed...................is now drying and is looking loads better
    Last edited by kazwookie; 18-04-2017 at 6:30 PM.
    Sun, Sea
    • funfairprincess
    • By funfairprincess 18th Apr 17, 6:28 PM
    • 1,697 Posts
    • 34,728 Thanks
    funfairprincess
    Hi all x

Lynne Take it easy, sending you love and hugs.

Good first day back at work it flew in. I was sitting on the bus and got a text to say I'm not needed tomorrow then came home OH had an appointment with the nurse this afternoon he looked terrible, turns out nothing to do with the nurse but our landlord had called him and gave him a lot of aggro. I'm now so upset don't know if I want to scream or cry.
    Anyway OH has cleaned the kitchen and I'm just going to start my list. I will try to take my anger out on it.
    I'm not a muggle...I'm just magically challenged
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 18th Apr 17, 6:31 PM
    • 9,352 Posts
    • 118,581 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Roast dinner eaten.......................
    Washing up done
    Sun, Sea
    • bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 18th Apr 17, 8:45 PM
    • 6,822 Posts
    • 87,041 Thanks
    bossymoo
    Crikey, where has today gone?

Shopping done, car washed, lawn patch-seeded, old clothes collected for donation bag, green bin put out, a wash done, kitchen dealt with and kiddies read to / listened to.

Back to college for me tomorrow, so bag put together, school stuff sorted too, and lunches mostly sorted.

DD got on well with a pack up today, she usually has dinners, but was much happier with it. She will need a better lunch bag though, a rather aged soft one. DS has a tough, plastic one which is much easier to keep hygienic.

Yawning already here!
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 18th Apr 17, 9:00 PM
    • 4,634 Posts
    • 46,676 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    (((Hugs))) FFPrincess.

Ionafan, how on earth could you deal with all of that as well as a full day volunteering without keeling over from exhaustion.

Am I too late to join in for this week?
    Originally posted by loudmouth
    Loudmouth - never too late. Anything's better than nothing, isn't it?

Excellent news on the borrowed compresser, Dizzy. I hope you find it does the job you want.

It's sounded like an amazing trip Frodders.

Piggers. Sorry about OH's job news. Bummer. Sounds as though you're doing a great job on the Flying front.

Flying today has been planting sunflower seeds because I need flowers this year and starting to tidy up the sundeck for spring. Plus taking Devil Cat to the vet. He's feeling very grim this evening having seen the eye specialist - things look very serious, sadly. OH is unable to talk about it.
    Last edited by Honey Bear; 19-04-2017 at 1:02 PM.
    Keeping it AF
    • Duckydo
    • By Duckydo 18th Apr 17, 9:35 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 1,103 Thanks
    Duckydo
    Evening all,
    Just the dailies done here, plus kitchen sink scrubbed and cupboard underneath cleaned out as we visited DD grandparents.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

233Posts Today

1,261Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin